Author Topic: Grid Tied Solar System  (Read 1368 times)

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
Grid Tied Solar System
« on: March 16, 2016, 04:21:39 PM »
Hi all, I have searched a few times on here and found some old posts regarding Solar electric as well as Solar hot water but they are old and things look like they have changed in PH. (Maybe I need to search harder and longer)
I found this article on the web, looks great apart from costs.
www.rappler.com/...energy/64165-solar-power-ph-households-net-meter
Hope the link works but any way this article is a year or so old and would appear that to set up a 5Kw grid tied system would cost about 350 to 400K pesos so up to AU $ 12,500.

We have a 5Kw grid tied system in OZ, we had installed about 2 years ago as we were sick of 6 to 7 hundred dollar per quarter electricity bills, big swimming pool, A/C, dishwasher, a 3.4Kw water pump for irrigation etc. Translating the cost per month to pesos is about 7,500, Our 2 bed air conditioned condo in manila, 2 split systems, (bedroom ran all night for sleeping,,,,,) our elec bill there was only 2,500 to 3,000 per month, very reasonable.

So to cut to the chase, our grid tied solar system in OZ only cost AU $3,400 (after carbon tax credits) or 109,000 pesos. A huge difference in cost from a first world country to a "developing country" where labour for installation is cheaper and the shipping cost would be much much less as it's all from China. I think it's all to do with the lack of competition,,,,,,,,,,a good business thought.
Our system has reduced the quarterly bills to AU $220 to 250, winter/summer. Our next bill arrived today so now after 9 billing cycles, 2 and a quarter years later the investment is paid for and now we start saving, better than money in the bank or stocks.

To help save costs we also reevaluated the way we use the power we generate through the daylight hours, dishwasher early to mid morning, washing machine there after, the irrigation pump after the swimming pool cycle finishes etc. We also changed the 50watt Halogen downlight to COB LEDs.
It costs us about 25 cents per Kwh to purchase plus metering costs and we sell excess back at only 8 cents per Kwh, 900 to 1100 Kwh so over 3 months we are still wasting our solar generated power. I will point out that our metering charge charge is AU $ 114, half our electricity bill now!

We would be more than keen to hear from other reader with more experience or information on this topic as there are potential savings even in the Philippines given what we read in the attachment, though longer term.
Cheers, Steve

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog