Author Topic: Has anyone needed an Apostille Notary and whatever for?  (Read 9485 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Has anyone needed an Apostille Notary and whatever for?
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »
Recently I heard and read the words "Apostille Notary" for authentication of U.S. documents, which I never know about until now when I was processing my SRRV documents and still in progress to get my documents authenticated at the San Francisco Philippine Consulate, when that word came up in the mix and throw me for a loop which really confused me of what's it all about and did it pertain to me or anyone else doing their SRRV or 13a visa application?
Anyone who has experienced this sort of authenification process, give me your 2 centavos worth?  ::) :o
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:15:23 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Has anyone needed an Apostille Notary and whatever for?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 02:38:17 PM »
Art,

From what I have read the police clearance whether local or FBI needs it.  Local would need it from the Sec of the individual state, FBI would need it from the Sec of State of the United States.  If I remember correctly BudM posted that he did this with his FBI clearance.
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »
From what I gathered it's pretty vague what documents the Philippine Consulate can authenticate without a prior notary and apostille notary from the Sec of State. 
The checklist from the PRA requires that my SRRV application, medical exams, police clearance, DD214s, bank security deposit and source of income require authentication also. So what's the use for the Philippine Consulate of authenticating anything when the Sec of State is doing it all? Doesn't make any sense.
I will be seeing an authorized apostille agent (only 3 in our area) next week and I'll find out what's up with all this BS, because I can't speak with a real person over the phone at our Philippine Consulate, but I did send them an email on Friday and Monday is a holiday.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:40:17 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »
Art,

From what I have read the police clearance whether local or FBI needs it.  Local would need it from the Sec of the individual state, FBI would need it from the Sec of State of the United States.  If I remember correctly BudM posted that he did this with his FBI clearance.

bigrod....Art and I have aleady been conversing on this the past 12-18 hours or something like that.  No, I did not have to get FBI clearance notarized and then/or appositely notarized by Florida or anything like that.  I don't know where Art is coming from on all this because I sure did not go through all that BS.  He hasn't determined yet, or at least I missed it somewhere, as to who is telling him to follow this procedure.  I don't have the slightest idea what it is all about.  All I know is, I went to the Embassy in person for walk-in.  I did not have to do that stuff.  I do know that if I mailed them in for processing, I would have to have sent them to the state first for notarization.  What kind of notarization?  I don't know.  I did not bother to screw with that.

Art...If the Philippine Consulate there is telling you all that stuff, if I was you, I would do like I mentioned before.  Contact the Embassy in Washington D.C. and verify the procedure and tell them of your situation.

I am sorry.  I do not know what else to say.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 05:57:30 PM »
From what I understand an Apostille Notary is used to certify that your notary is qualified. They simply attach a note to the documents to say that the notary is qualified/recognized. It is generally just a second check for international documents.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »
This is the Philippines and each office manager of their own office may say something different, so who knows.  But, that being said, the last time I was in the Immigration office in Calbayog CIty, the manager said to me with a lot of confidence, that because I lived in the Phils for more that 6 months, I wouldn't need any of those American clearances. 

Not sure that clears up anything, or makes it muddier, but that's what I was told.  He said because I MUST leave next summer, the best thing for me to do, concerning my 13A is to just keep doing what I am now(hit the office every 2 months to extend my tourist visa) and get out of dodge next summer(my 3 year mark).  After I get back, wait 6 months, then file for my 13A.  Then go through the process.

He said that staying in the Phils for 6 months before filing for it clears a lot of hurdles out of the way.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »
Art,

bigrod....Art and I have aleady been conversing on this the past 12-18 hours or something like that.  No, I did not have to get FBI clearance notarized and then/or appositely notarized by Florida or anything like that.  I don't know where Art is coming from on all this because I sure did not go through all that BS.  He hasn't determined yet, or at least I missed it somewhere, as to who is telling him to follow this procedure.  I don't have the slightest idea what it is all about.  All I know is, I went to the Embassy in person for walk-in.  I did not have to do that stuff.  I do know that if I mailed them in for processing, I would have to have sent them to the state first for notarization. What kind of notarization?  I don't know.  I did not bother to screw with that.

Art...If the Philippine Consulate there is telling you all that stuff, if I was you, I would do like I mentioned before.  Contact the Embassy in Washington D.C. and verify the procedure and tell them of your situation.

I am sorry.  I do not know what else to say.
You see Bud in bold, you just answered my question. That was what I was referring to aka an Apostille Notary, documents that are mailed to the Sec of State to be notarized/authenticated. "I do know that if I mailed them in for processing, I wou ld have to have sent them to the state first for notarization".
I'll know soon enough when I go see this Apostille agency and or go to the San Francisco Philippine Consulate so submit my documents for the final authentication.
No need beating a dead horse, but thanks for the heads up!  ;)
(click on the thumbnail below)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:09:59 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 12:21:14 AM »
No, Art.  I did not just answer your question.  I apparently answered it at 9:30am Saturday morning in reply to one of the three messages that you sent me around 1:30am Saturday morning.  I did not get to answer you right away since I was sleeping.  Here are the last couple of sentences from my reply on one of those posts.  By the way, are you going to San Fran or mailing them there?  When I realized you were still in California instead of here, I was under the impression you are hand carrying that stuff.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From previously:
I don't know what is with all the BS in your following posts.  The only way I would have had to get that stuff notarized by the state of Florida would have been if I mailed them in rather than appear in person.

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 04:45:46 AM »
No, Art.  I did not just answer your question.  I apparently answered it at 9:30am Saturday morning in reply to one of the three messages that you sent me around 1:30am Saturday morning.  I did not get to answer you right away since I was sleeping.  Here are the last couple of sentences from my reply on one of those posts.  By the way, are you going to San Fran or mailing them there?  When I realized you were still in California instead of here, I was under the impression you are hand carrying that stuff.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------From previously:
I don't know what is with all the BS in your following posts.  The only way I would have had to get that stuff notarized by the state of Florida would have been if I mailed them in rather than appear in person.
OK, here's my opinion of it all which now makes sense to me concerning this authentication process if I read it correctly from the San Francisco Philippines Consulate's website where it says "if"
http://philippinessanfrancisco.org/philippines-sf/consular-services-sf/faq-sf/#authentication

4. If sent by mail:(which is describing an Apostille Notary used to validate/acknowledge/recognize documents abroad)
Documents must be notarized by a Notary Public and Signature of the Notary Public must be authenticated by the Secretary of State where the Notary Public is registered, for applicants coming from states in the U.S.

If hand carried to the Consulate (no notary mentioned about the Sec of State) it says:
Any legal document issued in the U.S. must first be acknowledged or authenticated (‘consularized’) by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate General in order for that document to have any legal validity in the Philippines.  Please check the Consulate Finder or the Consulates Link for the states covered by the Embassy/Consulates General in the U.S.
Each “consularized” document will bear the seal of the Embassy/Consulate General and the signature of the authenticating officer.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:26:19 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 05:16:39 AM »
I don’t know if this is relevant to this discussion but one of the last times that I was at the Philippine Consulate in San Francisco I was told I needed some of my documents notarized. 

There is a Notary Public one floor down from the Philippine Consulate. The Philippine Consulate is on the sixth floor if I remember correctly and the Notary Public is on the Fifth floor.

I went one floor down to the Notary Public, paid them a few bucks, they notarized my documents, went back up to the sixth floor, submitted all my documents, they then found all my documents acceptable and I was done.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 06:23:43 AM by hitekcountry »

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 08:30:26 AM »
You must have had something completely different and dealing with a different agency hikecountry.

Thanks for clarifying the "if" and straightening me all out on that Art.  I don't need to worry about it though since I am done but good luck to you.  I would still just double check with the Embassy and make sure everyone along the line has their ducks lined up so you do not get any surprise at the end and have to maybe reschedule your flight a second time.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 09:07:07 AM »
You must have had something completely different and dealing with a different agency hikecountry.

As far as the Philippine consulate in San Francisco there is only one. The next closest one is in Los Angeles.  So that for sure is the same office Art is dealing with.

As far as what it takes to get various documents approved I don't know but in my case authentication by the Notary located in the same building was accepted as legal by the Philippine Consulate.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:32:55 AM by hitekcountry »

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 10:55:25 AM »
As far as the Philippine consulate in San Francisco there is only one. The next closest one is in Los Angeles.  So that for sure is the same office Art is dealing with.
As far as what it takes to get various documents approved I don't know but in my case authentication by the Notary located in the same building was accepted as legal by the Philippine Consulate.
Thanks for the info. I'll make a note of that when we go to the Philippine Consulate next week. Should be a breeze then.
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 11:37:11 PM »

I should have mentioned that I wasn't talking about the Consulate.  I meant the agency at the receiving end after they go through the Consulate.  It doesn't matter to me though and I am done with all this.  Too many variables and my head is about to pop.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 11:46:55 PM »
Art, the only thing I know about the SRRV was that a friend that had to send off his birth certificate and other documents to the states they were issued in, to get them verified or whatever they call it and then he had to present all those to the embassy in the US for the red ribbon or whatever it was, before heading back to the Philippines. He told me the Philippines will not accept any documents that have not be proven to be authentic by the states they were issued in, probably best to check with the embassy there because my info is second hand.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog