Author Topic: Has anyone needed an Apostille Notary and whatever for?  (Read 9538 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Has anyone needed an Apostille Notary and whatever for?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 12:55:54 AM »
Art, the only thing I know about the SRRV was that a friend that had to send off his birth certificate and other documents to the states they were issued in, to get them verified or whatever they call it and then he had to present all those to the embassy in the US for the red ribbon or whatever it was, before heading back to the Philippines. He told me the Philippines will not accept any documents that have not be proven to be authentic by the states they were issued in, probably best to check with the embassy there because my info is second hand.
What you have described is what an apostille notary is because legal documents were mailed to the U.S. for authentication as stated on the Sec of State (example for Calif) website. http://www.sos.ca.gov/notary/authentication/
and also on the State Department website: http://goo.gl/SoEY5r
The Philippine Consulate does their own authentication of already U.S. local notarized documents.
That's just what I figured out after reading about all this stuff and what was discussed here.
Anyway, we're off to the San Francisco Philippine Consulate next week and I'm sure going to find out the process of all this authentication BS.
Bud's head is ready to pop after picking his brain for hours off-line. Thanks Bud for all your feedback!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:00:46 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 01:08:33 AM »
No, it is not from picking my brain offline.  It is from banging it against the wall because I did not see one person comment where they did the same as me or knew of it being done the same as me but all to the contrary.  And what I did and did not do is not second hand knowledge passed on to me but fact.  I know what I know.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Ronin

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 08:12:07 AM »
This won't help the OP but here's my SRRV experience...

I did the paperwork myself.  It's really strait forward.  Didn't need a birth certificate, my passport was good enough.

I did have to have my prior divorce decree notarized at the US consulate in Cebu, no problem.

For the US police clearance I simply logged onto one of those sites that will do a criminal records search for $15.

Next I had to have the US police records search notarized.

The police records search was simply a list that looked like it was forged in notepad lol.  The consular looked at me like I was crazy and said that won't work.  It looked really bad.  I think he notarized it anyway.  Somehow I forgot to include the notepad police clearance in my final SRRV package.   The PRA told me to submit the clearance when I could get it. 

They then happily took my money and issued me a SRRV after the processing was completed in Manila.

I had my SRRV for about a year and then surrendered it as we are moving to the US now.  Processing for the surrender took almost two months.

I did my processing in Cebu.  If I did it over again, I would go with one of the processors the PRA recomends in Cebu.  The processors are paid $500 USD for every application they successfully submit so they will walk you through the process ($500 for about a days work!).

From what I've read, it's much more difficult to submit for the SRRV from outside the Philippines.

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 09:43:40 AM »
Well, if they give me a hard time or deny my SRRV application, I'll just stay on the Balikbayan program or we'll just move back to the U.S. and buy myself a fishing boat and a little house or condo near the California Rio Vista Delta and go fishing as often as I can or as long as I'm able to! If my wife doesn't like my idea, I guess I'll have to do it on my own.  ::) ??? :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aje6g9polBk
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:06:53 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 03:42:48 PM »
Well, if they give me a hard time or deny my SRRV application, I'll just stay on the Balikbayan program or we'll just move back to the U.S. and buy myself a fishing boat and a little house or condo near the California Rio Vista Delta and go fishing as often as I can or as long as I'm able to! If my wife doesn't like my idea, I guess I'll have to do it on my own.  ::) ??? :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aje6g9polBk

I get such a headache from all the Visa complications, Bank Complications ... and the myriad others, that I would never take the bother to go through it all. Ill just stick with constantly renewing my tourist visa.

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 06:08:29 AM »
Forget about all that stuff about Apostille Notary in my OP. I finally got all of my SRRV document requirements authenticated yesterday at the San Francisco Philippine Consulate.
We took Caltrain, a 1 hour train ride servicing only San Jose to San Francisco and back, $27 round trip, which includes a $6 senior citizen discount and then a 15 minute $10 plus tip taxi one way to the Consulate. We got there a few minutes after opening time at 9am. Submitted my documents by 9:30am and was ready for pickup by noon and we were out of there with my documents with a a gold seal emblem with red ribbons attached and riveted with a metal eyelet through the 15 pages of documents I submitted for authentication and no notary of any kind was required to any of my documents all for $25 since I hand carried, a walk-in to the Consulate. All mailed in documents to the Consulate require notarization from the Secretary of State or by way of an authorized Apostille agent prior to mailing all completed documents to the Philippines Consulate for final authentication/acknowledgement prior leaving for the Philippines for further processing of one's retirement visa.
Now all I need to do is go to the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) office in Makati, Manila and submit my SRRV application with my authenticated red ribbon documents which consists of my all of my physical exam findings/results, 14"x17" chest x-ray film, police clearance, remittance receipt of my $1,500 security deposit to the Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP), DD214s, old military records showing active duty at Clark AB over 2 years and proof of my source of income - annuity statements after we get back home to the Philippines. Our 4 months vacation here in N. Calif is long enough! We're anxious to get back home!
After when it's all said and done, I'll eventually have my permanent resident visa and SRRV I.D. Card. I will surely be a "Happy Camper"! No more BB stamps, tourist visa extensions and or visa runs!

Pics of the gold seal with red ribbons for different kinds of documents after Authentication and or Acknowledgement by the Consular Section on the 6th floor, where Philippine passport renewals are also done.
https://goo.gl/Z5vzYw
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:49:15 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 07:09:05 AM »
One authentication for 15 pages?  I paid double for two on total of 5 pages and they all went to the PRA.  When you went there, did you dress and look like you were poor?

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »
Yeah, I must of looked poor. I had the original set of 15 pages and a 2nd set of copies, but the cashier behind the glass window only charged me $25 for both set of documents.
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »
Yeah, I must of looked poor. I had the original set of 15 pages and a 2nd set of copies, but the cashier behind the glass window only charged me $25 for both set of documents.

Congratulations!  Well done on the $25?  I had to send 2 × $25 for authentication of marriage certificate and "no criminal record" clearance and another 1x $20 for postage.  The clearance was not authenticated (validity expired) and sent back to me but I did not get a refund. 

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 04:08:26 PM »

Congratulations!  Well done on the $25?  I had to send 2 × $25 for authentication of marriage certificate and "no criminal record" clearance and another 1x $20 for postage.  The clearance was not authenticated (validity expired) and sent back to me but I did not get a refund.
That's why we decided to take a long 4 month vacation in N. Calif so I can just hand carry all of my documents for authentication to the Philippine Consulate in San Francisco, which was fun riding on a train into the city, where BTW we had a $50 breakfast in one of the nearby places to eat near the Consulate. Our local police dept was just minutes away to get my police clearance, which took 7 days to process, because they short on staff. Luckily my doctor's office for my physical exams and lab tests was just across the street from where we were staying at my in-law's place. It was just my doctor that was slow in scheduling all of my appointments, including all of my wife's lab work, physical exam for feminine things and cardio tests for her annual checkup, which the results were all AOK and even mine and all was covered by TRICARE and my Medicare portion for myself whatever it was for I don't know, but we'll probably still have to pay our share eventually when they get all of the billing figured out. All in all the process was actually a piece of cake. I worried over about nothing really.
Now just waiting for our flight out of here from SFO to go home back to the Philippines where we would rather be. California is OK just for short visits now and then, but we wouldn't want to live here again like our old past of 17 yrs ago, because it still seem to appear too much of a daily grind today as it was long ago of a so called "human rat race" lifestyle of working, retired or not!  ::) ??? :o ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 04:29:46 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »

My opinion is that you were not charged the long nose tax, that was why only $25.  ;)

Also on the 4 months, one of my friends came back to Florida and mailed the stuff in with a prepaid return envelope and was able to get it all done within a month but he went to do the medical locally in Cebu as soon as he got back and told me it cost him less there than his deductible would have cost him in Florida, so Art now I know why you like California so much, must feel just like the Philippines with the slow pace of getting things done, joke lang my friend. Happy you got it all done and we are looking forward to hopefully getting to see you both again next year.

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 01:39:24 AM »
One authentication for 15 pages?  I paid double for two on total of 5 pages and they all went to the PRA.  When you went there, did you dress and look like you were poor?

Either that or IIRC someone once said Art has that “Movie Star Look” going for him. 8) ;D

Well whatever, Sounds like quite an ordeal to go through, but you got it done, that’s great. Congratulations!!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »

Either that or IIRC someone once said Art has that “Movie Star Look” going for him. 8) ;D

Well whatever, Sounds like quite an ordeal to go through, but you got it done, that’s great. Congratulations!!

Art doesn't only have a movie star look to him but he has a Filipino movie star look at that.  I don't know if I should ever let him in my neighborhood or not as there are rules here about being disruptive.  My wife's oldest son stopped here yesterday evening on his way to pick up his wife from work and he was riding his motorcycle of which I had to go and get on him about gunning it too much when he goes in and out of my drive.  All the extra traffic if Art showed up might get me thrown out of here.  Anyway, I knew that was the real reason why he did not get hit on the authentications like I did.

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 02:18:19 AM »
Bud, I mean a simple small one story grand house with a pool, Jacuzzi, cabana with a kitchenette and covered patio, big stainless steel gas/charcoal BBQ grill, TV room with a really big screen LED HD TV, an off grid solar energy system and finally, an SUV. That's all and without any monthly payments!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »
Ahhh ok.  I don't even need or want a pain in the neck pool or SUV.  Rest is ok.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog