Author Topic: passport is less than 6 months valid? Worry no more  (Read 6542 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
passport is less than 6 months valid? Worry no more
« on: August 25, 2015, 08:50:12 PM »
This has always been a concern for travelers, no more, at least in the Philippines.
REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION
MAGALLANES DRIVE, INTRAMUROS
1002 MANILA
OPERATIONS ORDER NO. SBM-2015-026
LIST OF COUNTRIES WHOSE NATIONALS MAY BE ADMITTED INTO
THE COUNTRY WITH PASSPORTS OF LESS THAN SIX (6) MONTHS
VALIDITY FROM DATE OF ARRIVAL
WHEREAS, the Department of Justice (DOJ) issued Department Circular
No. 032 effective 15 July 2015 allowing entry of foreign nationals with
passports or official travel documents of less than six (6) months validity
from date of arrival provided that:
a. They are nationals from countries allowed entry to the Philippines
without a visa for a stay not exceeding thirty (30) days under
Executive Order No. 408 and the appropriate Foreign Service Circular
(FSC) issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA);
b. Their embassy or consulate located in the Philippines are authorized to
renew or extend the validity of their passport or official travel
document; and
c. There exists no other ground to deny them entry into the Philippines
under existing laws, rules and regulations;
NOW, THEREFORE, pursuant to the above-cited Department Circular
No. 032, in relation to the rule-making authority of the Commissioner of
Immigration under Section 3 of Commonwealth Act No. 613, as amended,
the following is the list of countries whose nationals may be admitted into
the country with passports or official travel documents of less than six (6)
months validity from date of arrival:
1. Angola 22. Korea
2. Argentina 23. Kuwait
3. Australia 24. Laos
4. Austria 25. Mexico
5. Belgium 26. Myanmar
6. Benin 27. Netherlands
7. Brazil 28. New Zealand
8. Cambodia 29. Niger
9. Canada 30. Papua New Guinea
10. Chile 31. Peru
11. Cyprus 32. Portugal
12. Ecuador 33. Romania
13. France 34. Saudi Arabia
14. Germany 35. Singapore
15. Greece 36. Spain
16. Iceland 37. Switzerland
17. Indonesia 38. Thailand
18. Ireland 39. Turkey
19. Israel 40. United States of America
20. Italy 41. Venezuela
21. Japan
The Bureau of Immigration National O

http://immigration.gov.ph/images/OPERATIONSORDER/AUG2015/OOSBM2015-026.pdf
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: passport is less than 6 months valid? Worry no more
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:42:06 PM »
That is out of the ordinary and I suspect it would still pose a problem in boarding permissions and also what about countries you might pass through on the way to (or from) the Philippines? It is a situation I will be in in 6 months so I am interested.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:47:07 PM »
I don't have to worry about it, because my new 10 yr U.S. passport just may out live me!  ::) ;)
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:50:09 PM »
That is out of the ordinary and I suspect it would still pose a problem in boarding permissions and also what about countries you might pass through on the way to (or from) the Philippines? It is a situation I will be in in 6 months so I am interested.
I would print a copy of the law to have with you, that way if anyone questions your passport, show them the law and hope for the best. As long as there is an embassy for your country in the Philippines, then I am guessing that a person would be good to go.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:47:41 AM »
Good to know and; Thanks for the reminder- my US passport expires in less than 7 months. I need to take care of that.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 12:08:51 PM »
FYI

On the 27th of Aug. I sent in the application for my passport  renewal and just today I received my new passport  in the mail. When I sent in the renewal application I had no idea how long it was going to take. I didnít request a rush since I didnít have any travel plans. So just for those who might be wondering how long it takes, it took 27 days to get mine back.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 05:13:56 PM »
27 days that's awesome, I had to wait a couple months stateside to get my US passport and mine was also a renewal.  Sounds like they might be doing these right here in the Philippines.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 05:58:03 PM »
Question on passport renewals for those in the know.

The first passport I got was for work.  About 8 months after I earned my pension and left that job it expired and I had no reason or was in no rush to renew it.  So for about 2 years I had no passport.  Then before my decision to return to the Phils to retire and spend my life full time with Tina, I just went and got a new one.

So here's my question.  Can i file for a passport when there's still 8 months or so left on the one I currently have?(it doesn't expire for about 5 more years, so purely a how does it work question)

And if I do, does the new one come with the first date of validity start right after the last date of my current passport? 

I guess what I'm asking with the 2nd question, if the first question's answer is yes is, "Will I be buying a new passport that would start right away and for 3-4 months have two passports that are legal or at least, be "double paying" for time with passport."

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »
Joel,

When you apply for the renewal you also send in your current passport, which will be returned to you with the new passport, the old passport as far as I know is cancelled(holes punched in it).  If anyone knows any different please post.  Joel the latest i
I see on the Embassy web site is you need not go to the Embassy for a renewal.  You fill out the application on line and print it.  Have Air21 pick it up(app, passport and check from BPI), when completed returned to you via Air21.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 08:17:54 PM »
You can renew a passport any amount of time early you wish, I renewed mine a year early so now Nila's and my passport expire the same time, to make it easier to remember to renew the next time. As for validity, you lose the extra time you would have had when you get a new passport.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 09:57:47 PM »
Thank you for your answers.  I'll wait til about 2 months prior then send for renewal then.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »
Today I did a 2 month extension of my Tourist Visa(9a) at the Dasmarinas BI office.  They pointed out to me my passport expires 10 May 2017, I already knew that, DUH. :o  I told them I was aware of that and would renew my passport when I extend again in March 2017.  Per the OIC "I did you a favor this time because you are supposed to have 6 months validity on your passport".  Did not argue since that is my closest office and very convenient.  Maybe I am thinking wrong but if I can enter the country with less than 6 months validity, why can I not extend with less than 6 months validity.  I know that I am thinking as a Westerner and not a Filipino but wouldn't it be the same for entry as an extension? ::)

Chuck

PS:  I will apply for my passport later this week just not to have a problem.
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 05:33:38 PM »
When I processed my SRRVisa at the main PRA office in Makati, I already had a new 10 yr U.S. passport. I only have to do my annual report and SRRV I.D card renewal once every 3 yrs at the Makati PRA main office.
We used the Balikbayan Program and 24 month visa extensions every 3 yrs for over 15 yrs. Now we can stay put in one place indefinite and no more trips to any BI office.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 07:37:25 PM »
Today I did a 2 month extension of my Tourist Visa(9a) at the Dasmarinas BI office.  They pointed out to me my passport expires 10 May 2017, I already knew that, DUH. :o  I told them I was aware of that and would renew my passport when I extend again in March 2017.  Per the OIC "I did you a favor this time because you are supposed to have 6 months validity on your passport".  Did not argue since that is my closest office and very convenient.  Maybe I am thinking wrong but if I can enter the country with less than 6 months validity, why can I not extend with less than 6 months validity.  I know that I am thinking as a Westerner and not a Filipino but wouldn't it be the same for entry as an extension? ::)

Chuck

PS:  I will apply for my passport later this week just not to have a problem.

Maybe they need to read the below, while it is not about visa extensions, if a person is allowed to enter the Philippines with less than 6 months left in their passports, then why not be allowed to renew with the same as long as the renewal would not fall beyond the validity of the passport. Of course I am using common sense logic and that may not apply.

DOJ lifts six-month passport validity rule for foreigners -
To encourage more tourists to visit the Philippines, foreigners may now travel to the country even if their passports are set to expire in less than six months.

This was after Justice Secretary Leila De Lima approved a recommendation from the Bureau of Immigration and the Office for Competition to lift the six-month passport validity requirement for foreign nationals visiting the country.

"To allow foreign nationals to enter into the country with passports of less than six months validity from date of arrival will further facilitate the entry of foreign arrivals," said De Lima in her Department oRder No. 032.

See more at: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/526646/news/nation/doj-lifts-six-month-passport-validity-rule-for-foreigners

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 10:42:21 PM »
 Of course I am using common sense logic and that may not apply. lol and that is where the problem lies.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog