Author Topic: Balikbayern Visa  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Nigel Bateman

Balikbayern Visa
« on: October 14, 2015, 11:25:08 AM »
Hi
my 59 day visa expires on Sunday 6th December, i would have been here 8 months by then, my wife and i are planning to go awat to thailand for a few days returning on December 5th, on entry i plan to apply for a Balikbayern Visa at the airport, has anyone done this and a few pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
Re: Balikbayern Visa
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 12:27:23 PM »
Hi,
My 59 day visa expires on Sunday 6th December. I would have been here 8 months by then. My wife and I are planning to go away to Thailand for a few days returning on December 5th. On entry I plan to apply for a Balikbayan Visa at the airport. Has anyone done this and a few pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum sir. Glad to have you aboard. The Balikbayan should work nicely. Just make sure you have your marriage certificate with you assuming your wife is Filipina of course hehehe. She will be the one who will request the Balikbayan for you. Just smile and let her do the talking. Also, look up the Balikbayan law, print a copy of it and have it ready at the airport in Thailand. Otherwise, they will demand an outgoing ticket out of the PI or they won't let you board. Do the above and all should go well.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: The Balikbayan Stamp
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
If the Filipina and her foreigner hubby are not ready to make the Philippines their permanent resident for retirement, then yes, the BB stamp is the best way to stay in the Philippines for a one year free stay at a time, return and do it over again and over again!
My wife and I have done the BB stamp and 2 to 6 month tourist visa extension routine for 17 yrs and now that we are tired of all the traveling every year and paying for visa extensions, we finally decided to make the Philippines our permanent home indefinitely and just kick back and relax until we feel the urge again to travel whenever and wherever, but we no longer need to use the BB program and or visa extensions, now that my wife is a dual citizen and I have my permanent resident visa. Life is wonderful in the Philippines!     
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 01:35:57 PM »
Nigel,

Just did it last month we went to Vietnam.  Tried to do it the easiest way possible used PAL.  No questions leaving Vietnam since her passport has the married name.  We approached BI in Manila together and she requested the stamp. had the marriage certificate in her hand but never requested.  Now have to wait 6 months to file for 13a or SRRV with only an NBI clearance versus FBI/US Police clearance.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 03:20:09 PM »
Is there also some sort of requirement to get an "ECC Clearance" I found something on this, as a tourist if you stay more than 6 months you'll need to get the ECC? 
http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/emigration-clearance-certificate-ecc
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 03:40:32 PM »
Yes if you stay over 6 months you need the ECC, which runs the Tourist 500 php at BI since the 710 php was previously paid with a prior extension.  If the Tourist has stayed less than 1 year in the Philippines they can get the ECC at NAIA.  I prefer to get my ECC at the local BI office so there are no problems at the airport.  Also if you have stayed over 1yr you will pay the Travel Tax which is 1620 php.  This can be paid at the airport, but if you fly PAL you can pay on their website and avoid the line.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: The Balikbayan Program aka RA6768
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 05:34:50 PM »
The ECC requirement does not pertain to Balikbayans within their one year of stay until after their BB stamp has expired and is on a visa extension of over 6 months and also including regular tourists who has gone over 6 months worth of extensions and want to leave, but if less than 6 months the ECC is not required and also not required to pay the travel tax!
Here how it works, You enter on a BB stamp and you do not want to leave the Philippines before it expires, you then need to apply for either a 2 or 6 month 9(a) visa extension before your BB stamp expires. You will only need to obtain an ECC if you ever go beyond 6 months of visa extensions, but less than 6 months of extensions, an ECC is not required and the travel tax is exempted. It's only required to pay the travel tax if one has gone over 12 months of visa extensions and also will an ECC will be required, because one has already stayed over 6 months from their previous extension.
I hope I did not confuse anyone concerning this ECC and travel tax requirement and the additional visa extensions beyond one's BB stamp's expiration date! We have done all this for the past 17 years! And BTW, Balikbayans do not require return/out bound tickets aka the cheap throw away ticket, but certain airlines like Cathy Pacific and Delta are ignorant of this fact. Philippine Airlines are good about acknowledging the provison from the RP BI Commisioner's memorandum.
BTW, one can get 6 month visa extensions under the provisions of RA6768 for an additional 24 months at any local BI Field Office according to this memeorandum below. This is what I do when I do not want to do another BB stamp run and stay in the Philippines shy of 36 months total before needing to leave the Philippines to prevent from overstaying beyond the additional 24 months.     

MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD 02 011 dated 11 February 2002 

All Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximum period of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:57:07 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 09:01:11 PM »
Okay, based on the original question in the op, let us not take this too far off of what he will need currently unless the op has other questions.

Yes Nigel you should have no problem getting a BB stamp upon return which BTW is not a visa but is a visa free stay, not that what people call it matters, it allows us a free one year stay and that is all that counts. Make sure to have an original marriage certificate and a photo copy with you but if your wife's passport is in her married name, then more than not they will not ask for the licence, it is up to the BI person at the time.

If you wife is still a Philippine citizen, then you will usually both be in the BI Philippine citizen line but I doubt the line will matter if she is with you and she will hand the officer both your passports and ask for a Balilkbayan and he may ask her in her language if you two are married etc, and she of course would answer yes and only if they ask for the marriage license would it be necessary to hand it to them. If your wife's name in her passport is in her maiden name, then it might be better for her to hand both passports and a photocopy of the marriage license to the officer but have an original in case he or she asks for it.

I will not get into all the rest already posted. If you have any other questions on this topic or about what has been posted then feel free to ask.

One last thing, make sure to check your passport to see it says BB, or has a notation of 1 year, or an exit date of 1 year from entry date, I have had it done many different ways in my passport over the last 21 years of coming and going with my wife.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 12:53:23 AM »
All good advice by kuya Lee et al.

I would just add my observation that I have never encountered any difficulty whatever obtaining the BB stamp flying into NAIA from The U.S., Canada, Thailand, Japan or Hong Kong.  In fact, on early visits many years ago, entering with a Filipina girlfriend, whose name was not the same as mine and who was traveling on a Philippine passport, it was nevertheless assumed we were married and I got the coveted stamp without a word being said.

On our trip there this year, my Filipina wife and I entered on Canadian passports.  We took the precaution of bringing along our proof of marriage, as we had in the past.  It was not requested and never has been.  This last trip, we just handed over our passports together, the agent looked at us and asked: "Balikbayan?"  I said yes and we both had the BB stamp applied to our passports. 

Notwithstanding the ease of passage I have experienced on many trips, it may be best to bring proof of marriage, etc. just in case.  It's probably one of those situations akin to carrying a gun:  Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Offline Nigel Bateman

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 08:57:02 AM »
Thanks all, very helpful, will let you know how it goes upon our return

Regards

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »
Have never shown a marriage cert but always get it as I guess they surmise we're married as we always step up together and the passports have the same last name of course.

Not that it matters as I'm never in country more than a couple weeks at once.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog