Author Topic: Nola hit Catarman  (Read 2045 times)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Nola hit Catarman
« on: December 31, 2015, 07:50:40 AM »
Nola did a duzzy to Catarman.  When it was coming to landfall, the meteorologists were saying it was a Cat 2 and would weaken and go north or south of Catarman.  12 hours later, it strengthened to a Cat 3, and the eye hit Catarman straight on and hardly a person was prepared.  Destruction everywhere.

The photos I am going to share are only of the 3-4 blocks near where I live in Catarman.  This storm did some serious damage.  Every wood/bamboo structure that was on the edge of town was torn apart.  Not just knocked down.  I mean pieces of the houses strewn across the rice fields behind them.  Squatter areas a few blocks south of us where Tina has family had complete sections just ripped away.  Friends and relatives in another part of town are now living with other people as their home(some of them block, poorly made probably, but still block build) was destroyed.  Many of the people with block wall buildings that were built well, still loss parts or all of their roofs. 

We came out fine.  Our roof intact, block wall structure as good now as it was before the storm.  But the electrical system took a work out and the few things that I didn't have on POD protection(this laptop I'm using being one of them) went out.  So needed time for repairs. 

The family's house on the other hand had one wall that was not block form built.  The front wall on the upper level.  And that was torn away.  Rain just poured in and it was crazy.  After sitting and watching about 4 people trying to "mop up" the excess water that was pouring through the gap where the upper level floor and the front upper level exterior wall met and just pooling on the floor I finally went and grabbed every wash tub, catering bucket/bin and set them up.  Then had them take the remaining water and just sweep/push it out the front door.  That made quick work and created a much more manageable system to take care of the water that was just pouring in.

The covered court, a place of safety for both Yolanda and Ruby storms had it's roof torn off and the floor covered in a few inches of water.  This was pretty crazy.

Good thing.  Tina and my new little man is unaware of any such storm.  He was in the main/family house in front of the lot.  He was in the back of it in the lower level and slept through the whole thing. 

I have more photos of the damage done to the legislative building and the covered court and more.  But the net here is VERY slow and taking about 15 minutes to upload photos.  So at a later date i will add more.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Nola hit Catarman
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 08:22:41 AM »
Glad you and the family are ok.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 09:16:43 AM »
Great to hear you are safe and well Joe.
Do you know if William Mitchell or Terry Taylor over in Mondragon made it thru Okay ?

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 10:49:37 AM »
I was concerned for you all and especially after not hearing from you for weeks, thus my private message, thank you for the reply and thank you for posting about what happened, I am just glad you and family are all okay and glad your home stood up to the storm but sorry for the destruction and damages of some family members homes.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline blindman

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 12:48:02 PM »
Looks tough.  I'm glad you and your family are ok, Joel.
Mike........

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 08:46:25 PM »
Great to hear you are safe and well Joe.
Do you know if William Mitchell or Terry Taylor over in Mondragon made it thru Okay ?

I cannot answer a complete yes or no.  I can tell you that there were no deaths in the central part of Northern Samar, despite that being hit the worse.  The deaths due to Nola came from the eastern side of Northern Samar and were all drowning deaths due to the rainfall, as well as one soldier getting killed by NPA who held up the aid caravan a couple days after.  That last one wasn't a "storm death" but was related to the storm of course.

The pinoy are resilient.  It blew me away how many homes had their roofs just blown off.  The number of "squatter" type homes, or wood built homes had to number over 200-300.  I saw over 150 myself.  A lot of them just lost their roof and a wall or two.  But more than 40 that I saw were just gone.  There was a house, and no longer is.  I have a pic of a couple of those that I'll try an upload later.  Despite the destruction, many of them already have some form of a home built in the place of what they lost.

The roofed court photos to me hit home.  I walk every day.  The day before the storm when I went to do laps around the court(it was getting cloudy and dark and I try to stay dry walking) I had to turn around and leave.  There were already families on the court in preparation for the storm.  Well, I'm sure they didn't stay there after the roof was gone and all the damage done as well as the "pool" that the court became.  I have no idea where they went.  Sooner or later I'll talk to someone in the government and find out. 

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 02:25:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing the news and photos, Joe.

Like the others here, I am happy to hear you and your family came through relatively unscathed.  I am also sorry for those who fared less well.  But I know them to be a resilient lot and they have a way of getting through these adversities together.  I admire them for that.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »
Here's more of the photos I was talking about.

A tree that was standing next to the cathedral

A side shot of the legislative building

The roof system of the covered court and the "bridge" between the upper level of the "city hall" and the covered court.

A few shots of the floor of the covered court.

A nice 2 story wood structure home that was just torn apart.  On the left side just this side of the block home standing.

All these pics I was able to take in about a half hour walk that was more stopping and taking pics than walking.  The furthest away I went from my home was maybe 3-4 blocks.  And I did not go south into the "squatter area" that Tina's cousins live in where complete homes just went away in the storm.  I tried to stay in the more "well to do" areas and show the damage done to them.  This storm affected most the people.  Even those of us who had strong block homes and had the roofs put on with "extra foundation" support still ended up with relatives using our homes for a few days to a week, and in some cases, still are "housing family" till they can rebuild their homes.

This was my first time seeing this much damage done first hand in the area around me.  I know it wasn't as bad as the main center hit areas of the Ruby or Yolanda.  So I'm not really even complaining.  More just wrapping my head around the amount of destruction and thankful it wasn't as big of a storm as Yolanda or Ruby were.

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »
Just be thankful it was a weak typhoon and not as strong as Yolanda there would have been snoring left standing

Offline Travelling Bob

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »
Sure did a lot of damaged

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 01:08:45 PM »
We'll just never know next what mother nature will hit us with!
I always count my lucky stars that we're still alive after a few direct hits in the past!
"Knock On Wood"!
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog