Author Topic: HardieFlex wall and ceiling board (split from another topic)  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
HardieFlex wall and ceiling board (split from another topic)
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:51:45 AM »
The locals use a product called hardflex...wonder what that is made of..

While I may be going off topic, I believe it or at least one brand may be called Hardiflex, that or something similar appears to be what our condo cr ceiling is made of, it is fireproof, how do I know, I cut out a hole in the cr ceiling for an exhaust fan and when I was done I tried to burn that piece with a cigarette lighter and it would not burn but before doing that, I looked it up and this is what I found.
HardieFlex® walls are durable and non-combustible building materials safe for interior walls of a home. -
See more: http://www.jameshardie.com.ph/products
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
Re: Re: Returning a Product to a Store
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 09:14:28 AM »
While I may be going off topic, I believe it or at least one brand may be called Hardiflex, that or something similar appears to be what our condo cr ceiling is made of, it is fireproof, how do I know, I cut out a hole in the cr ceiling for an exhaust fan and when I was done I tried to burn that piece with a cigarette lighter and it would not burn but before doing that, I looked it up and this is what I found.

Thanks for the info Mr Lee....you are correct. Hardieflex.."HardieFlex® fiber cement boards contain no asbestos, making it safe for you and your family"...They recommend you scoring it with a knife and "snapping to break" not sawing. It says always use a respirator when cutting and avoid breathing the dust...makes you wonder a bit there...it is pretty good stuff though..although very thin...if something falls against it...like a fist...it will easily punch right through!....hahaha! Have a great day sir!
Meeting the right person as your partner in life that laughs at your farts.... is a blessing!

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
Re: Re: Returning a Product to a Store
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »
Thanks for the info Mr Lee....you are correct. Hardieflex.."HardieFlex® fiber cement boards contain no asbestos, making it safe for you and your family"...They recommend you scoring it with a knife and "snapping to break" not sawing. It says always use a respirator when cutting and avoid breathing the dust...makes you wonder a bit there...it is pretty good stuff though..although very thin...if something falls against it...like a fist...it will easily punch right through!....hahaha! Have a great day sir!
Don't forget to pay the cashier on the way out.  :P
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline bundyrummm

Re: HardieFlex wall and ceiling board (split from another topic)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 06:34:33 PM »
Hardiflex...spose u mean fibro...u better check that it has no Asbestos in it..prolly has if it's in an Asian country...My father died of Asbestosis in 5 weeks..it's banned in Australia...and being ripped out of houses...best u check for all your health..cheers.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »
Hardiflex...spose u mean fibro...u better check that it has no Asbestos in it..prolly has if it's in an Asian country...My father died of Asbestosis in 5 weeks..it's banned in Australia...and being ripped out of houses...best u check for all your health..cheers.

We have Hardie throughout the house here. The bozos who put it up did it "their way", cutting it with an angle grinder and attaching it to  aluminum angle by drilling holes and using rivets rather than with the screws made especially for the job. Then, rather than wallboard mud, they used epoxy on the seams. We wound up with visible seams and had to force the contractor to go over them a couple of times. As it is, every earthquake causes a cracked seam somewhere.

We were so horrified at the contractor not giving the poor guys masks that we bought them ourselves.

When I was researching different ceiling products, I think I did find out that the boards made in the Philippines still have asbestos in them. Painting is supposed to seal them enough to make them safe but to hell with that. We used the James Hardie brand.

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 05:36:50 PM »

I was wondering this too... I have steered clear of Hardiflex because it sounds like the name of an asbestos containing product in Australia.

I once saw a documentary detailing how asbestos is exported to India, and the poor workers are suffering for it.

I would be steering clear of this product if it does contain asbestos - because although it might be OK while undisturbed, as soon as you want to do a renovation or repair, you're looking at needing space suits to deal with it, and an approved method of disposal (who knows if there is such a thing here).
^^ Just my personal opinion... take it or leave it!

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 11:42:04 AM »
I was wondering this too... I have steered clear of Hardiflex because it sounds like the name of an asbestos containing product in Australia.

I once saw a documentary detailing how asbestos is exported to India, and the poor workers are suffering for it.

I would be steering clear of this product if it does contain asbestos - because although it might be OK while undisturbed, as soon as you want to do a renovation or repair, you're looking at needing space suits to deal with it, and an approved method of disposal (who knows if there is such a thing here).

According to the James Hardie site:
"Original HardieFlex® fiber cement boards have zero asbestos, low VOCs, and use sustainable raw materials, so they're good for both people and the ecology."

What I should have said in my post above, is that there are knockoff brands of fiberboard made here in the Philippines (and maybe China) which may still contain asbestos. That is why we chose the real James Hardie brand. Tearing out old fiberboard is another story. There's a way to tell if it contains asbestos. I'm unsure what that test is, though.

http://www.jameshardie.com.ph/press/go_for_the_real_hardieflex

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »
According to the James Hardie site:
What I should have said in my post above, is that there are knockoff brands of fiberboard made here in the Philippines (and maybe China) which may still contain asbestos. That is why we chose the real James Hardie brand. Tearing out old fiberboard is another story. There's a way to tell if it contains asbestos. I'm unsure what that test is, though.

http://www.jameshardie.com.ph/press/go_for_the_real_hardieflex

That's right... it would be hard to tell if what we are buying is the genuine thing or not.
^^ Just my personal opinion... take it or leave it!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog