Author Topic: 'Pokemon Go'  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
'Pokemon Go'
« on: July 14, 2016, 08:31:08 PM »
Anyone see Filipinos walking around with their eyes tight on their cell phones more than usual? Texting was bad enough, I feel this 'Pokemon Go' is going to get people killed and besides that, slow down mall traffic to a crawl. :(
"Pokemon Go" is a free game app that you can download for your iOS or Android smartphone. The game asks players to wander their real-world neighborhoods on the hunt for the animated monsters made famous years ago by cartoons, video games and trading cards. Players build their collections, make their Pokemon more powerful and do battle with those held by other players. MORE: http://tinyurl.com/htbjs74

I was driving yesterday and came across a teenage girl on a skateboard doing the PG thing while she was in the middle of a side street road and she had no idea that I was behind her for a couple of minutes (I was too nice to beep to scare the hell out of her), she appeared totally lost in her cell phone. :(
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
Re: 'Pokemon Go'
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 08:55:28 PM »
Ahhh, the modern generation Lee, it happens in all countries to greater and less degrees, agree that the Phills is bad though, not as bad here in Thailand from observations. In Oz there is a cafe (somewhere on the Gold Coast in Queensland) that offers patrons a free coffee or tea if they relinquish their phones for the duration of their stay, apparently people actually talk to each other there. I am the first to admit that when out and about I have to have my phone, (habit and security I suppose) sad really as 25 years ago I never carried my Motorola Brick around, it sat in the car or house, too big etc and Pokemon Go wasn't around.
Smart phones are a wonderful tool that we have come to depend on for comms and entertainment but have caused many injuries and deaths through inattention and ignorance.
Watch out for the Pokemon Go, Benjie tells me it is all the rage in the Philippines, I ask what other games and his response is "that's it"
Well spotted Lee, you all drive careful there.

Cheers, Steve

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 12:41:20 AM »
Its not just PG, its many phone games. Go into any mall, set of shops, markets or even government offices etc, games are ON and the attention spans are diminished, especially when it actually comes to the JOB they are supposed to be doing. Have followed many in the street, playing games, walking directly out on the road, nearly getting run over etc. Saved a few, turned some phones off and told young ones to go home to play, not walk around. Silly people, LOL.

ABC

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 07:46:34 AM »
Its not just PG, its many phone games. Go into any mall, set of shops, markets or even government offices etc, games are ON and the attention spans are diminished, especially when it actually comes to the JOB they are supposed to be doing. Have followed many in the street, playing games, walking directly out on the road, nearly getting run over etc. Saved a few, turned some phones off and told young ones to go home to play, not walk around. Silly people, LOL.

ABC

So true.  I went to the LTO last August to get the final license paperwork on my bike done.  Sat there and watched a worker so engrossed in his MMO game online that the boss had to call him 4 times to get his attention. He talked to his boss for like 15 seconds, then was right back to playing his game.  I was there for almost an hour, and the kid(probably just out of college and hired, but could be older, who knows) was almost non-stop playing the game on his work computer.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 11:04:36 PM »
One 19 year old woman dead so far drowning in river, it may not be long before more are killed playing that game.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0U0E90P1o8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0U0E90P1o8</a>
Two men fall off cliff in California while trying to catch cartoon monsters
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xsgCaP0c8w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xsgCaP0c8w</a>
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 11:55:25 PM »
I've never been into computer games, let alone this dumb Pokeman Go.
I have better things to do with my time instead of my face planted to a display screen playing games.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 10:52:44 AM »
pg does not start in ph untill end of july but with all the kids here with phones its gona be crazy most only do school half day or no school or no work now they all be wandering the streets face down into phones . i applyed for a poke stop for my business will be intresting to see if i get it and how many people will be showing up .

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 03:20:28 PM »
pg does not start in ph untill end of july but with all the kids here with phones its gona be crazy most only do school half day or no school or no work now they all be wandering the streets face down into phones . i applyed for a poke stop for my business will be intresting to see if i get it and how many people will be showing up .

Good point copusmaximus as it was officially only released this month and not yet in the Phills so how are some of our friends there playing and posting their successes (bragging) on FB? Now I have my doubts as to the authenticity of their posts, all I can say is look out when it is genuinely in the clutches aspiring Filipinos, the rest of the world for that matter given the popularity and topping the charts in North America etc after it's release.
As I said earlier "the modern generation", maybe we should be calling them the "now generation" and as many say "God save the Queen" (that's an oldie)
but honestly I see in my life, so far..... we used to say "the modern/new generation" that meant 20 or 25 years, not now, I see a huge difference between my 27 y/o and 20 y/o children, the availability of information and technology in just 7 years between my two kids is evident and is escalating every day, not year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Go

Cheers, Steve

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »
The world is about to lose all sanity with this pokemon thingy. Here is  a sample from central park.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLdWbwQJWI0

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 07:44:56 PM »
Hmmmmm, sad for me but obviously playing cricket, football, brandy or hide and seek as some of us did on the streets with our neighbours and mates once doesn't cut the mustard these days, to the future, God be with us.

Cheers, Steve.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 09:15:07 PM »
The world is about to lose all sanity with this pokemon thingy. Here is  a sample from central park.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLdWbwQJWI0
Thanks James for posting the video, it is amazing to me to see grown individuals doing that, what will our world come to, what if that game is just the start of mind control.  :o

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 09:41:55 PM »
Sorry if this offends...........

Londoner at heart

Offline TonyandJelma

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 01:32:21 AM »
Just playing devil's advocate here, but seeing first hand this game in action since it's release, I think it is a great concept. I have never seen so many kids outside exploring the neighborhoods and parks. Yes they are using their cell phones, but they are still outside getting sunshine. Better than being locked in their bedrooms playing Call of Duty all the time. I do think the ones playing while driving or being inattentive while in traffic are a pain in the butt. Agreed though that things are not like they were in most of our childhood days of going outside after breakfast and not coming back until the street lights came on. Happy with playing in the creeks and woods without the use of gadgets.

Bigpearl...as far as them using Pokémon Go in the Philippines before the "official" release date, there are "mirror" sites where you can go and download the game and play it before the release in your country.

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 07:11:35 AM »
Just playing devil's advocate here, but seeing first hand this game in action since it's release, I think it is a great concept. I have never seen so many kids outside exploring the neighborhoods and parks. Yes they are using their cell phones, but they are still outside getting sunshine. Better than being locked in their bedrooms playing Call of Duty all the time. I do think the ones playing while driving or being inattentive while in traffic are a pain in the butt. Agreed though that things are not like they were in most of our childhood days of going outside after breakfast and not coming back until the street lights came on. Happy with playing in the creeks and woods without the use of gadgets.

Bigpearl...as far as them using Pokémon Go in the Philippines before the "official" release date, there are "mirror" sites where you can go and download the game and play it before the release in your country.

Thanks Tony and Jelma, that explains it and removes my doubts.

Cheers, Steve

Offline GustavoWoltmann

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 03:48:34 PM »
I played pokemon go during it's hype. However, I quit because theres a lot of cheaters in our Region. Sad to say that right now so many users already quit. My friends are now looking for other games. Thinking of playing Ragnarok Online.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog