Author Topic: Is the image of "Duterte death squads" just a publicity stunt?  (Read 6793 times)

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Is the image of "Duterte death squads" just a publicity stunt?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 08:05:54 PM »
I live in a gated community in Cavite and have not seen much violence.  Maybe having the Chief of Police living one house over behind us plays a part in that. :D

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline sussexrob

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 08:11:06 PM »
From what I understand from my wife and her family ( some of whom are still in Davao ) that the death squads were definitely real a few years ago .  I have seen Davao over the years and it has become much quieter , at night especially.  When Duterte became mayor, over a period of time, he banned things like fireworks, drinking in the streets etc,etc.   It is certainly a lot better there than when I was first there in 2008.  This is the main reason my wife and  I are in the process of having a house built there and moving from the UK in the next few months.
Further south there are still places that both the the police and military try and warn me off going to when on vacation, indeed that included where my in-laws live.  When in Gensan my wife still refuses to let me near a certain market, as she feels it is still unsafe for me to be there.
 I just take things as they come, and go wherever I like, much to the dismay of my family sometimes who send out search parties when I go for a walk on my own??

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 08:12:08 PM »
With the large (by Philippine standards) rewards being given to police and even to citizens, for killing drug dealers, and around 100 killed in Cebu alone, with photos of the bodies and some saying they saw the bodies first hand and posting on facebook about them with photos, and with somewhere around 2000 nationwide, I suspect that the photos and accounts are probably real. Here are some https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=philippine%20drug%20dealers%20killed
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 08:18:30 PM »
I agree. Clean out the Muslim bombers and the drug peddlers.

But is Du30 :) doing that or is it just talk.

I just can't see those smiling security guys outside MacDonalds, in their white shirts and never-fired rusty guns shoot at anything. They can talk a Kano to death but they are social, not killers.

I am not going to knock security guards but how do you expect them to do it?  Man, when I went back to the civilian world, the federal minimum wage was 2.90/hr where I was.  I got 3.12 for being a security guard.  I was working a hospital and the people who came in there were a lot of times on the edge.  They would beat up on us and kick the crap out of us but what could you do.  Nothing but try to restrain them without bruising them.  And that was back in '79.  I can't imagine what kind of trouble you would get in to now if they filed a report on you.  Luckily, I got a job driving a truck after two months.  Same thing here.  They don't get paid very much.  I enjoy seeing them around though and throw the bull with them.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline BonVoyage

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 08:26:52 PM »
I have traveled a lot and the Phils is maybe the country that stands out the most regarding people's thinking.
How can the president say "just kill any drug user, I'll give you a medal". This would lead to chaos anywhere else. Ruthless individuals would just kill anyone that had tried shaboo (about 100% in many areas) because they disliked that individual
(I watched the Facebook video that was linked. A girl holding her killed lover and "occasional user" in her arms.)

I don't say I am right about it. But I guess this is a thing that only Pinoy can understand. Say one thing but to Pinoy ears it means something completely different. It can't mean kill. (Only my opinion. I am definitely interested in hearing what you say, you guys have lived there long and I have been away.)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 09:06:32 PM »
Apparently Duterte does not consider them to be human, thus killing them is okay with him.
Drug users aren't human: Philippines' Duterte  http://news.asiaone.com/news/asia/drug-users-arent-human-philippines-duterte
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 08:30:31 AM »
Steve, I live in Sta Lucia, Novaliches, QC, a crazy little place. Yes we are looking to move but that has proved to be more of a logistical issue more than anything else. The GF is a public school teacher with tenure there, all three kids at different stages of their education are embedded there and on different schedules. Those who are aware the public schools, at least in this area is broken down into a morning session 6a -12p and afternoon 12p - 6p. The GF and one child is on the morning schedule and the other two in the afternoon, not by choice. They can walk to the school in just a few minutes. If we move transportation becomes a big issue as does timing. We don't own a vehicle and don't plan on getting one until the GF finishes her Masters degree which will give her more leverage on where she can go.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 11:07:35 AM »
Medic has it right about the homicides, all that is required is to open your eyes or the neighbors fill you in on the latest happenings, there are many dangers here, if you live in private neighborhoods you probably won't be exposed much to violence but that's not my world I live with the general population and in a small municipality ... we have had several murders, I've lost count so many, savage bolo incidents and killings, robbery murder, they just shoot you in the head and some of these murders were of prison inmates that should have been locked up, entire police force was changed out two years ago in our spot, two of our in-laws (couple) have been in prison 2 years for selling drugs.  Recently the Indian national expat (boombay) was executed they said for drugs but ... this guy had been giving out loans for years or they call it 5/6, I talked with a few of my neighbors and he wasn't a drug dealer so somebody got tired of paying their bills. 

I am the only full time expat in this municipality the others are wannabee's or tourists.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline BonVoyage

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 01:40:15 PM »
Medic has it right about the homicides, all that is required is to open your eyes or the neighbors fill you in on the latest happenings, there are many dangers here, if you live in private neighborhoods you probably won't be exposed much to violence but that's not my world I live with the general population and in a small municipality ... we have had several murders, I've lost count so many, savage bolo incidents and killings, robbery murder, they just shoot you in the head and some of these murders were of prison inmates that should have been locked up, entire police force was changed out two years ago in our spot, two of our in-laws (couple) have been in prison 2 years for selling drugs.  Recently the Indian national expat (boombay) was executed they said for drugs but ... this guy had been giving out loans for years or they call it 5/6, I talked with a few of my neighbors and he wasn't a drug dealer so somebody got tired of paying their bills. 

I am the only full time expat in this municipality the others are wannabee's or tourists.

I also lived with the people. It was maybe the  most intense and fascinating period in my life. My heart is still there but for the time being the brain is elsewhere :)

I know the Indians in the Phils. I thought they were mostly Sikhs from the north of India, with a turban and everything. But there are also Sikhs around Bombay.

I saw them many times. I remember once,  in the rather simple Tabu-an market Cebu. The Sikh just stopped on his motorbike, went in and collected his debt.

Friends had made me see it. Otherwise I hadn't understood. My reaction was immediately: A foreigner cashing in debt. He would be dead in most places. I was surprised foreigners could do this. (Chinese can wedge into foreign countries though.)

So if a loan shark is killed I understand. But other violence I did not see.

A month ago a Swede was killed in Hua Hin Thailand! Very unusual for the circumstances. Police didn't seem to bother either. I guess local drug lords and police just had taken out the competition.

So a loan shark being killed I can believe. Now the locals can set up a "microfinance" program instead. (I learnt that word in the Phils. I think it means loansharking ;) )
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:50:00 PM by BonVoyage »

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »
Bon Voyage, there are many murders, alcohol related deaths (main way to die) and they don't get reported this also includes expats, in our municipality an Australian man from another municipality wouldn't pay up his bill, late at night, he and his family companion took off on motor bike and the barangay took chase, he hit a stray water buffalo that was in the center of the road and he was gored, he was bleeding to death and the barangay claimed they ran out of gas...Lol, so he bled to death the companion fellow rider, Pnoy man it turns out was his wife's lover according to barangay official I talked with who was on call that night, Barangay also said that the expat kept saying please don't let me die.

When expat death or citizen death are caught on tape they make news but and also on a local true story called SOCO but most of these deaths don't make the news. 

I was told by citizens of van that abduct school children and thought it might be made up but that's not the case, kids here have ended up on the side of the road missing body parts (every blue moon) and money stashed inside, last year they caught one of these vans near our 7-Eleven and last I heard the snatchers were stuck in the jail in Sta Cruz Laguna, this stuff seems to be kept real secret but dealt with.

Many of the deaths in our region are alcohol related, some are extremely violent two guys were gored with a bolo knife for such things as complaining about how much they eat or bragging rights about their wife.  Another lady that bought up some of the family property answered her door and was shot in the mouth, a Sari-sari store lady also was robbed and then shot in the head, school teacher about two years ago was killed by her husbands friend, she had just taken out a loan and he stabbed her to death early in the morning, that did make the SOCO news and so did the Australian who was gored.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline BonVoyage

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 04:27:51 PM »
Bon Voyage, there are many murders, alcohol related deaths (main way to die) and they don't get reported this also includes expats, in our municipality an Australian man from another municipality wouldn't pay up his bill, late at night, he and his family companion took off on motor bike and the barangay took chase, he hit a stray water buffalo that was in the center of the road and he was gored, he was bleeding to death and the barangay claimed they ran out of gas...Lol, so he bled to death the companion fellow rider, Pnoy man it turns out was his wife's lover according to barangay official I talked with who was on call that night, Barangay also said that the expat kept saying please don't let me die.

When expat death or citizen death are caught on tape they make news but and also on a local true story called SOCO but most of these deaths don't make the news. 

I was told by citizens of van that abduct school children and thought it might be made up but that's not the case, kids here have ended up on the side of the road missing body parts (every blue moon) and money stashed inside, last year they caught one of these vans near our 7-Eleven and last I heard the snatchers were stuck in the jail in Sta Cruz Laguna, this stuff seems to be kept real secret but dealt with.

Many of the deaths in our region are alcohol related, some are extremely violent two guys were gored with a bolo knife for such things as complaining about how much they eat or bragging rights about their wife.  Another lady that bought up some of the family property answered her door and was shot in the mouth, a Sari-sari store lady also was robbed and then shot in the head, school teacher about two years ago was killed by her husbands friend, she had just taken out a loan and he stabbed her to death early in the morning, that did make the SOCO news and so did the Australian who was gored.

That sounds rougher than what I saw. Where is that?

Maybe Cebu is better than Manila area and Mindanao? But some areas of Visayas seem pretty "far away" for a foreigner. Like Negros occidental that I never went to. Cebu, Bohol, Dumaguete are maybe among the safer.

I appreciate reading all posts here. It is a way to put the puzzle together.

Drinking with the wrong people is a risk of course. The only fully verified killing of a foreigner I come to think of in Cebu was long time back in the mountains, in Adlaon. A Dutch long timer there had been killed while drinking with "friends". The police actually managed to sort things out and the couple responsible were detained for as long as I knew. At least that is how I put the story together. It seems to have been a planned killing for money.

But naturally, if a foreigner engages in drug trade, sex trade or money-lending, I guess anything could happen. (If the foreigner is on the selling/lending side of course.) Such businesses are reserved for locals. If I "lent" money to Pinaya I considered it a gift, of course.

I think even Pinoy experience the same. The credit killed many sari-sari stores. "Our children are hungry and we have no rice. Give us credit." works on a sari-sari store owner too.

I always wanted to ride the 7 water falls zip-line at Lake Sebu, Cotabato del Sur, but I don't feel sure the area is safe. Very hard to find out. I must say I honestly can't make a security appraisal of southern Mindanao outside Davao, Zamboanga... I feel it is not as dangerous as some say. But a feelling is not enough to make the trip.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2016, 07:23:36 PM »
Alcohol and drugs are 2 big reasons for murder in the Phils.  I agree with that assessment. 

I was here only about 2 months when one drunk walked up behind another drunk, raised a pistol and blue the mans brains out through a hole in his forehead.  Then ran and last I knew, was not found. 

Then here about a year, a man that was high as a kite came walking out of a rural barangay area onto a main road with a bloody bolo in one hand and a man's head in the other.  Too them a week to find the rest of the body of the head because the man who had the head and bolo was so fried he had no memory of what happened. 

There were a few others...but besides politics, I would say alcohol and drugs play a big part in the rest of the murders in the Phils.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog