Author Topic: Aloha from Hawaii  (Read 1732 times)

Offline BobHarding

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Aloha from Hawaii
« on: October 22, 2016, 04:27:12 AM »
Aloha,
My name is Bob Harding and I have been friends with Lee for years. This is my first venture into the forum. Well, that's not true. I was a member years ago when the forum first started and didnít stay a member.

I met and married a Filipina ďchickĒ in 1999 and she immigrated to the United States that year.  But that was not my first time to be in the Phils. My first trip was in 1982 when I worked for an International company by the name of The Southland Corporation dba 7-Eleven Food Stores based in Texas. My office was in Seattle and I held a position called Division Development Manager. My geographic area was the Pacific Northwest, Alaska and Montana. However in 1982 the company requested that I travel to the Philippines to conduct market research so that the company could decide whether or not to grant an international franchise to a Philippine group wanting to build 7-Elevens in the Phils.

I spent considerable time living at the Manila Peninsula Hotel at Makati and over the course of time evaluated the market. My opinion was that 7-Eleven Food stores would do very well in the Phils and subsequent to that Southland granted the franchise. Today there are over 600 7-Elevens operating in the Philippines and my understanding is that more growth is in the making.

While doing my research I fell in love with the Philippine culture and people.

In 1998, I found myself single and put on an Internet search to try to find a Soulmate that I knew was someplace in the Philippines. In early 1999 I traveled to Manila to meet Josie. She was educated in Manila and had taught in 2 prestigious private schools there and had just returned from teaching for 2 years in a private school in Thailand. She had 12 years of experience.

We fell in love and Josie immigrated to the United States. When she got here she went back to school and earned a 2nd BS Degree in Elementary Education and her first teaching position was on the remote Navajo Nation Indian Reservation in remote NE Arizona. We lived there 10 years and while she was there she earned a Masterís in Education at Arizona State University and in 2012 was nominated as a Teacher of the Year Finalist for all of Apache County.

About that time a new charter school in Hawaii recruited her to go to Hawaii and help form the new elementary school. This is her 5th year in Hawaii and last year she was Teacher of the Year.

I have a very strong wanderlust and want to live part of the rest of my life in the Philippines and travel Asia from there. I am 70 and find myself with a Phenomena Known as "Awfulizing". Please see my post here in the forum at Expat life in Philippines.

Hope to get to know you all over time.

Kind Regards
Bob Harding

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Aloha from Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 04:37:45 AM »
Aloha,
My name is Bob Harding and I have been friends with Lee for years. This is my first venture into the forum. Well, that's not true. I was a member years ago when the forum first started and didnít stay a member.

Welcome to the forum Bob and Josie, yes we have been emailing back and forth for many years now and Bob emailed me today to ask for the url of the forum and I was very happy to supply it, I feel Bob and Josie will be a welcome addition to the forum since he is a great guy and very knowledgeable about many things. Enjoy the forum Bob and if I can be of any help to you, or for that matter any other member, feel free to contact me directly.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 06:33:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:42:57 AM »
Welcome Bob and Josie
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:04:58 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 11:38:12 AM »
Bob,

Do you have an idea where you want to all home in the Philippines?

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline BobHarding

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 11:48:18 PM »
We are going to wait awhile and see how the new President deals with the United States...if he is going to implement a strong anti-amerian posture then that will influence us a lot. Thanks for asking

Offline sacalait

• Just an American who paid way too much taxes, for others to collect???
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »
Wow,
Quite a story Bob. Awesome!!!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog