Author Topic: Pitfalls to be aware of  (Read 5225 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Pitfalls to be aware of
« on: December 03, 2016, 07:45:29 AM »
Arts post on a hospital refusing to release the body until the bill was paid hit home in post 22 at this link http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=52166.15
so I thought people should know that is one of the pitfalls of the Philippines. One of our nieces baby died and IMO due to the hospitals poor care but they had to come up with p10,000, so it was not enough of an insult that the hospital let the baby die from dehydration since all it came in for was diarrhea and they never gave it an IV but on top of that they had to pay to get the body back so they could bury it. 

Any other pitfalls members can think of that might be important for new people to the Philippines to know about?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
Re: Pitfalls to be aware of
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 01:42:47 PM »
Reckless imprudence laws resulting in injury or homicide.  (Google reckless imprudence Philippines.)

For example, if you are involved in a car accident and someone is injured or killed you could go to jail (even if the accident was not your fault.  Technically a police officer is not supposed to determine guilt or innocence.  That's for the courts to decide.).

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:30:59 PM »
Another one to be aware of is the adultery law, a person can be arrested and imprisoned for dating a married woman if their husband presses charges, even if the husband is long out of the picture. 
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 06:41:45 AM »
Yes, I even have the video on my HD "Banged Up Abroad Philippines" but too large to upload. I tried looking for it on YouTube but it's deleted.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 12:45:23 AM »
Yes, I even have the video on my HD "Banged Up Abroad Philippines" but too large to upload. I tried looking for it on YouTube but it's deleted.

I think this might be it:

Small | Large

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 02:07:24 AM »
The video will not work for me, it can be watched on the site itself where the video came from by clicking on dailymotion bottom right.

Offline Danson L.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 07:05:27 AM »
Thanks for this Video. People who cannot view it should install INTERNET DOWNLOAD MANAGER (IDM), it will download anything almost, even if the video CANNOT be seen on the website!!!

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 09:50:09 PM »
In some areas of the Philippines...if you are injured and wind up in the hospital and need blood...it is sometimes hard to get your blood type. Some hospitals don't have a supply and you have to send a family member or friend to the Red Cross to try and buy a pint and take it back to the hospital so they can use it on you...crazy I tell ya...happened to us with my wife's Dad...needed a pint of blood...not available...we went all over town , police station, jail and military trying to get a pint...not available...he got by without it but it is something to be aware of..
Meeting the right person as your partner in life that laughs at your farts.... is a blessing!

Offline sacalait

• Just an American who paid way too much taxes, for others to collect???
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »
Wow??? Glad I have a savings for emergency care?? Wow!!

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
Related to pitfalls - but just saw this - Phils doesn't do so well. The piece is about how dangerous Thailand is, but Phils is actually *below* it in the league table of "dodginess"!

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30317678

I wonder how much stock to put in these tables though? My own experience of Thailand is I never had any bad encounters and have been visited on and off since 2003. With regards Philippines there are a few places in Manila where you wouldn't wander around at night, but I found people to be generally very helpful and kind wherever I went.

Cheers,
Tony
---

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »
There are many factors which if included would turn all those statistics around.
Spain is ranked number one tourism country in the world - even though I defy any member here to Walk on the main tourist thoroughfare in Barcelona (Las Ramblas) without at least one attempted pickpocketing. Everyone I know who has visited there regularly has been robbed at some time.
 Surely all of latin America is far more dangerous than the Philippines?
The crime rate in Washington.... oops. 
The vast number of new wealthy chinese will head for the nearest countries rather than travel too far.

The figures become very muddled when all is factored in.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »
Related to pitfalls - but just saw this - Phils doesn't do so well. The piece is about how dangerous Thailand is, but Phils is actually *below* it in the league table of "dodginess"!

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30317678

I wonder how much stock to put in these tables though? My own experience of Thailand is I never had any bad encounters and have been visited on and off since 2003. With regards Philippines there are a few places in Manila where you wouldn't wander around at night, but I found people to be generally very helpful and kind wherever I went.

Cheers,
Tony
---

DITTO on Thailand, I have been going there since 1992, and have been way off the beaten path, and never once did I feel unsafe, not one time.   

Offline Bisaya gyud

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 04:42:25 AM »
Lots of foreigners die in Thailand, many under suspicious circumstances:

Farang Deaths - Documenting the Deaths of Foreigners in Thailand

https://www.farang-deaths.com/
Visayas * Cebu * Leyte

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 01:14:01 AM »
Lots of foreigners die in Thailand, many under suspicious circumstances:

Farang Deaths - Documenting the Deaths of Foreigners in Thailand

https://www.farang-deaths.com/

Scary. When you read some of those cases it does make you wonder - suicide? Really? There are some very suspicious looking cases there. Sure, we don't have all the details, but I wonder how thorough the investigations are? Could they tell the difference between someone who had strung himself up, and someone who had been strung up by the Thai wife's boyfriend? That case where the Thai wife and her *foreign* b/f killed her husband and then dismembered and burned the body is like something out of a horror movie.

Deeply disturbing stuff...

They are all tragic cases but this one struck me as incredibly sad:

https://www.farang-deaths.com/case/stephen-ronald-drewett/

Cold-blooded murder and robbery.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:22:58 AM by codefreeze »

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog