Author Topic: Greetings from cold, very snowy New Hampshire  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Minibrings

Greetings from cold, very snowy New Hampshire
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:51:57 PM »
Greetings for a sunny but cold and very snowy New Hampshire winter day!

I was actually born in Makati and lived there until I was 14 when my (Filipino) dad passed away and my (American) mother moved us back to California.
Decades forward, I'm at the 'where do I want to retire' stage and I can afford to retire in the US, but I'm concerned about the future of affordable health coverage here.

I'm considering Mexico (love Guanajuato), Ecuador (Quito) or Mendoza (Argentina).  I flew to the PI last November to revisit the old homestead in Makati and check out Boracay.
I'm now doing some research the viability of moving back to the PI (NOT Manila) and have actually just received Philippine citizenship (in addition to my US and Canadian passports). The only factor that concerns me is heat and humidity and that seems to be the Philippines forte. LOL.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Greetings from cold, very snowy New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:08:19 PM »
Welcome. Canada I believe has free healthcare, the US, if of senior age has almost free healthcare, the Philippines has PhilHealth for seniors which supposedly covers some healthcare, Panama is supposed to be reasonable for healthcare, I do not know much about the other places, interesting topic... Then heat is yet another issue..
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:36:18 PM »
Welcome Minibrings,
Where to retire? That depends on one's individual choice and or circumstances, have an adquate source of income, health issues as we all eventually grow old. So where is the best place to grow old? So money and affordable health care is on top of one's priority list upon retirement.
What about family and close friends? Do you mind living far away from them in a country where you have no family and or friends? I know I have more quetions than answers for you, but I can provide more later when we know more about you.
So, continue to post on here and let us know more about your future retirement plans.
I was born in the Philippines, but never been a Filipino citizen (long story). Grew up in California since the age of 7.  I'm retired USAFR and civil service, retired at age 49, married to a Filipina w/o any children. We've lived here since 1988 and still enjoying our retirement lifestyle here in Sta. Rosa, Laguna.

"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Minibrings

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:29:26 AM »
While I love Canada, I have no desire to live in the cold again. Ever.

I Want a smaller city.. so Manila is out .. OMG, I thought Bangkok traffics was bad.. not. I planned my activities to avoid rush hour as I used uber - not living, IMO

Cities I'm checking are Iloilo and Bacolod,
Dumaguete is of interest, but may be too small.. though I like the idea of a college town.
Cebu - I know nothing about, but suspect traffic will be a bear.
I had originally thought CDO or Davao,, but not sure I want to be in Mindanao

As far as living far away from family, I'm used to it. I lived in Adelaide for a few years and not one sister visited.. I did have visitors from Thr US. 

Money fortunately does not need to be an issue. I've saved a good amount and between my investments, pension and SSN I should have funds to live without working and be able travel to/from the US yearly,

I'm also an avid motorcyclist and enjoy exploring Maine and anew Hampshire on my Moto Guzzi and my 300cc Vespa.  Being able to be on my bike 12 months is a plus.. another reason Canada won't work.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:36:07 AM by Minibrings »

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »

I Want a smaller city.. so Manila is out .. OMG, I thought Bangkok traffics was bad.. not. I planned my activities to avoid rush hour as I used uber - not living, IMO

Dumaguete is of interest, but may be too small.. though I like the idea of a college town.

As far as living far away from family, I'm used to it. I lived in Adelaide for a few years and not one sister visited.. I did have visitors from Thr US. 

Money fortunately does not need to be an issue. I've saved a good amount and between my investments, pension and SSN I should have funds to live without working and be able travel to/from the US yearly,

I'm also an avid motorcyclist and enjoy exploring Maine and anew Hampshire on my Moto Guzzi and my 300cc Vespa.  Being able to be on my bike 12 months is a plus.. another reason Canada won't work.

I sound like a broken record, but I will always promote tagaytay as a place to live.   You mentioned you want to avoid heat and humidity, well the climate in Tagaytay is perfect (for me anyway).  There are only traffic issues on the weekends, you can get to the beach in 45 minutes, Alabang in 50 minutes, and Makati in 90 minutes.    I wouldnt live any place else in the Philippines.   

Offline Minibrings

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
I had inherited property in Tagaytay and Imus, Cavite years back. Since I was a US citizen, I could not own property and gave it to my older brother.  I even had a cemetery plot at Manila Memorial Cemetary worth a bit (close to where Aquino is buried) that I gave up.  I never thought I may move back!  I applied for my Phil citizenship years after I gave up the land.

I wish we had never sold the house my Dad owned at Dasmarinas Village in Makati..

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 11:53:10 AM »
Come home.  Stay a while in the places you are considering.  You don't have to decide now. You may want to maintain a place in the US.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 09:52:43 AM »
Photo just approved, I am sorry I just noticed that the photo was not approved earlier, so I approved it. Your photos will no longer need to be approved.

I was originally from NY, so I sure as heck do not miss the snow and had seen some snow storms where my car was totally buried and hated digging it out to go to work, it is great living in a warm climate, we live in Cebu and South Florida now, so no more snow for us.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »

I'm in full agreement on the 12 months a year motorcycle riding.  We built our house in Davao but haven't moved across full time yet.  Still currently in Dubai.
Londoner at heart

Offline Minibrings

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 03:02:03 AM »
Photo just approved, I am sorry I just noticed that the photo was not approved earlier, so I approved it. Your photos will no longer need to be approved.

I was originally from NY, so I sure as heck do not miss the snow and had seen some snow storms where my car was totally buried and hated digging it out to go to work, it is great living in a warm climate, we live in Cebu and South Florida now, so no more snow for us.
Man I can't wait to be done with this snow crap.  I can easily move to FL or AZ (I work from home) but since I want to retire in 5  years, I just have to suck it up for 4 more winters.  I will see if they will let me remotely from overseas (the bank is a little touchy about their laptops leaving the US).

Offline Minibrings

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 03:04:31 AM »
I'm in full agreement on the 12 months a year motorcycle riding.  We built our house in Davao but haven't moved across full time yet.  Still currently in Dubai.

You showed me your bike.. here is my Guzzi (1 of 50 made in that color).  Wish it wasn't such a hassle to import, else I'd take it with me.

Offline Minibrings

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 03:16:10 AM »
Come home.  Stay a while in the places you are considering.  You don't have to decide now. You may want to maintain a place in the US.
Salamat. I'm working on coming home (and maybe relearning Tagalog).  And yup if I need to head back stateside I have places to stay...

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 03:41:55 AM »
You showed me your bike.. here is my Guzzi (1 of 50 made in that color).  Wish it wasn't such a hassle to import, else I'd take it with me.

Yes the import duties are a real PITA.  If it wasn't the case I would also ship my Harley and my cars.
Londoner at heart

Offline marshie

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19:03 PM »
^That's why sportscar are really expensive here too. Taxes are 100%, not sure if this already changed. So I would guess other cars would have high taxes too but below that of sportscar.
Even buying imported goods and having it shipped here gets awful taxes. I go away with that and find a courier that helps with that.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 03:32:27 PM »
This is the reply I had from one shipping company

Good day! We had received your query thru Service Market for your shipment of car to Philippines. Kindly clarify if this will be a diplomatic car? Foreigners are prohibited from importing cars and for returning Filipinos the process takes weeks and the taxes/duties are up to 90%.
Londoner at heart

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog