Author Topic: Greetings from cold, very snowy New Hampshire  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Greetings from cold, very snowy New Hampshire
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 02:51:51 AM »
^That's why sportscar are really expensive here too. Taxes are 100%, not sure if this already changed. So I would guess other cars would have high taxes too but below that of sportscar.

Back in 1999 I inquired about shipping a Corvette (or 2) to the Phils.  We then owned a 1996 and a 1998.  I was advised that the calculation of tax went like this:

New car price, say $70,000.
Less 10% depreciation (on declining balance basis) for each year of age.  So a 1-year old car would be $70,000 - $7,000 = $63,000.
Tax = $63,000 x 150% = $95,130.

So having a 1-year-old vette there would mean a cost of about $70,000 for the car + $95,000 in tax for a total of $165,000.  Whether I could afford that or not, I could not see doing so.  As my father used to say: "I don't like to be taken.".  A tax grab like that would leave one feeling that one had really been taken. 

According to marshie's post, the tax would now be a mere 100% and not 150%.  A bargain!

I still have the 1999 email string from the shipping agent in Manila.  He also told me that there could be some small variation in the about of the tax, depending on vehicle specifics.  He said if I supplied make, model, year, engine # and a few other details he could supply a precise tax quote.  I did not bother.  Whether the tax was going to be $95,000, $105,000 or a paltry $70,000, I was already completely put off.  And that was leaving aside the considerable impractical elements to driving a Corvette in the Phils.  I have only ever seen one there.  It was a 1970s vintage I saw on Commonwealth Blvd. in Quezon City circa 2002.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 03:20:14 AM »
Thats even assuming that you will be allowed to import the car.  The shipping agent I spoke to told me that foreigners are not allowed to import.
Londoner at heart

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 04:18:24 AM »
Thats even assuming that you will be allowed to import the car.  The shipping agent I spoke to told me that foreigners are not allowed to import.

To be honest, I cannot recall all the details from nigh on 20 years ago and I did not re-read all the emails I saved from that ancient time on the topic. But I do not think the "foreigner" issue would have loomed large.  The importer could easily have been my PI citizen wife.

Offline marshie

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »
From what I remember back in school (which was 11 years or so ago), imported cars are taxed 100%.  I haven't heard of 150% tax on cars it does look like a bargain comparing to 100%. It is still expenaive though! Haha . 
The car's maintenance and parts would be higher as well since the car isn't common here.

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »
Assuming cost of car, taxes, maintenance  is not an is issue - I'm not sure it is wise to have one here.  To most locals, it is an ostentatious display of money.  You might enjoy the attention, but how do you keep it safe?

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
We've been retired here 19 yrs and having a vehicle has never been assuming and or ostentatious, but one of necessity and never had any issues! Then again we have never had a new vehicle here, but we could have if we wanted to. It's all about common sense and practically. 
"To each his/her own"! Different Strokes For Different Folks" as I always say.
These comments should have been under the topic heading of import of classic vehicles I brought back on here from an old OP for that purpose so as to stay on topic.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog