Author Topic: Showing Off  (Read 6463 times)

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Showing Off
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 08:57:14 AM »
Fastwalk always dress nicely and this may or may not apply to you, hygiene, if you dress down you will be the subject of ridicule this includes mundane tasks such as going to the bank, grocery store or markets you will be graded on your appearance and smell another plus is if you can try to hold a short conversation with citizens it will go a long ways.  Examples of showing off is not talking to anyone in a grocery store or shopping area, grumpy unapproachable face, acting like your gonna buy a huge appliance product or expensive item and then walking off, this is showing off.

JD mentioned fancy car, hey if you have it flaunt it who cares but there are used cars that are much better value and it only enhances your life, who the hell wants to take a trike or jeepeny?
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 11:48:09 AM »
Fastwalk always dress nicely and this may or may not apply to you, hygiene, if you dress down you will be the subject of ridicule this includes mundane tasks such as going to the bank, grocery store or markets you will be graded on your appearance and smell another plus is if you can try to hold a short conversation with citizens it will go a long ways.  Examples of showing off is not talking to anyone in a grocery store or shopping area, grumpy unapproachable face, acting like your gonna buy a huge appliance product or expensive item and then walking off, this is showing off.

sound like solid advice. 
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline AggieExPat

• Born in Chicago and Raised in Texas...
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 10:30:46 AM »
This is really interesting topic because my wife and I are trying not to stand out and be too flashy.  We usually dress down (Mostly because of the weather) and are renting a very modest home.  People always ask us how come we do not build a big house or drive fancy vehicles?  My wife's family own several businesses and currently building another, but we drove a used Mazda the first couple of months here and just barely got a new truck.  (I think its modest compared to what we used to drive in the states, but people do treat us differently once they saw us driving the newer vehicle).  My stepson has said that people always judge you here in the Philippine by what you drive, but I am always weary of calling out too much attention to ourselves and just like to hang out with family and friends. 

But, in order for people to take you seriously here unfortunately, besides the bribe is if they think you have money or are someone important..
Javi Lopez

Iloilo City, Iloilo

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 09:38:34 PM »
My stepson has said that people always judge you here in the Philippine by what you drive, but I am always weary of calling out too much attention to ourselves and just like to hang out with family and friends. 

But, in order for people to take you seriously here unfortunately, besides the bribe is if they think you have money or are someone important..

You summarized  the situation really well.  I am still working on finding the right balance.  The trouble is that we are human..  and get annoyed sometimes by things that we technically know better about.

It sounds like you are aware of this type of issues and handling it well for yourself and family :)

Look forward to reading your ideas on other topics as I don't now much about the city your living in.   
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog