Author Topic: Manila to promote pineapple fibre cloth in EU market  (Read 3722 times)

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Manila to promote pineapple fibre cloth in EU market
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:41:18 AM »

Twenty years ago, couturier Patis Tesoro, now known as the mother of pineapple cloth, was alarmed at the sky-rocketing price of the vanishing fabric which was the \"national treasure\" of Aklan in central Philippines.

Tesoro and her friends funded the planting of the long-leafed variety of pineapple in several communities in Aklan.

Households were given handlooms to inspire older people to teach the art of weaving pineapple cloth.

Soon, residents went back to planting of the pineapple variety which has no fruit. They began threshing pineapple leaves into pulp to create soft pineapple threads. The women started weaving them into fabric that found its way into the designers\' studios.

\"The price of pineapple went down and pineapple cloth, even when intricately embroidered, became affordable to almost all Filipinos,\" said Tesoro.

(FULL ARTICLE HERE)

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
Re: Manila to promote pineapple fibre cloth in EU market
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »
Thanks for sharing this article.  I\'ve always loved clothing made from pineapple fibers.  It is expensive now and it was expensive then.
In my opinion, the fabric is exquisite! :)  Hopefully, this endeavor will be successful.

Live long and prosper.  Aloha.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:47:42 PM »
Welcome Meylou,  love your sign off. mahalo to you.  billy-san . Live long and prosper. And may I be of service. :)

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 02:51:59 AM »
Thank you, Billy-san.  I probably need to introduce myself in the Meet Your Neighbors section.
I\'ve just been enjoying the posts here and I also enjoy the chuckles I get.  I\'ll do it soon.

Thanks again.

meylou
Live Long and Prosper.
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:10:04 AM »
QUOTE: \"Live Long and Prosper\".

It seems the longer we live, the worse living conditions becomes!

NO,I do not plan on leaving this world anytime soon!!

Anyway, welcome aboard Meylou!!
B-Ray (a rebel with a cause, sometimes),  ;D

Thank you, Billy-san.  I probably need to introduce myself in the Meet Your Neighbors section.
I\'ve just been enjoying the posts here and I also enjoy the chuckles I get.  I\'ll do it soon.

Thanks again.

meylou
Live Long and Prosper.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:21:46 AM »
QUOTE: \"Live Long and Prosper\".

It seems the longer we live, the worse living conditions becomes!

NO,I do not plan on leaving this world anytime soon!!

Anyway, welcome aboard Meylou!!
B-Ray (a rebel with a cause, sometimes),  ;D

Thanks again.

meylou
Live Long and Prosper.

Live long & prosper! The longer I live here the more I prosper with friends & experiences. I use another Star Trek quote under my avatar - \'IDIC\' (infinite diversity in infinite combinations). That is the Forum & what greets me everyday in the Philippines.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog