Author Topic: How Much Money Is Recommended for the Permanent Move to the Philippines?  (Read 8347 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: How Much Money Is Recommended for the Permanent Move to the Philippines?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »
I keep on seeing or reading someone constantly referring to the Philippines as a "Third World Country"! As far as I know the Philippines is no longer on the "Third World Country" list.
Read for yourselves below and get familiar which countries are first, second, third and fourth world countries! I myself didn't know there were 4 classifications!
IMHO, if the Philippines was still a 3rd world country, there would not be any 1st world prices of anything here! The prices on everything here that I've experienced in the late 60s were really cheap and luckily my tiny military (E-2) pay back in those days went a long way and the dollar to the peso exchange rate was at P4.80 to 1.
Those were the good old days when I was only 18 yrs old! Cheap beer/food and lots and lots of young beautiful Filipinas! ??? :o ;)

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/third_world_countries.htm
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:10:50 PM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Oz Paul

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »
I keep on seeing or reading someone constantly referring to the Philippines as a "Third World Country"! As far as I know the Philippines is no longer on the "Third World Country" list.
Read for yourselves below and get familiar which countries are first, second, third and fourth world countries! I myself didn't know there were 4 classifications!
IMHO, if the Philippines was still a 3rd world country, there would not be any 1st world prices of anything here! The prices on everything here that I've experienced in the late 60s were really cheap and luckily my tiny military (E-2) pay back in those days went a long way and the dollar to the peso exchange rate was at P4.80 to 1.
Those were the good old days when I was only 18 yrs old! Cheap beer/food and lots and lots of young beautiful Filipinas! ??? :o ;)

If it is not on the 3rd World list, it must be on the 4th World list now, perhaps ?  ;D 8)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »

If it is not on the 3rd World list, it must be on the 4th World list now, perhaps ?  ;D 8)

Sorry.. I couldn`t resist!! he he

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 09:04:01 PM »

Sorry.. I couldn`t resist!! he he

Brilliant deduction! Something what a Forrest Gump might say! Couldn't resist either! Ha Ha! BTW, women say he he, men say ha ha! ;)
Small | Large

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:12:25 PM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 11:12:35 PM »
OK - maybe time to get all this back on track. Ad rem even. The discussion started on the topic of how much money is required to live in The Philippines. That is like asking how deep is a hole. If you want to purchase modern imported technological items they will cost as much as anywhere else. It all depends on how far you are willing to compromise. The main expenses in any country are Housing, Food, Transport, Health and utilities.  Anything in the Philippines that is dependent on local labour will generally be cheap. Houses are very cheap, Food is very cheap, Public transport is very cheap, Utilities are the same as anywhere, and finally health (normal GP and medicine) is cheap. Considering that the majority of the population live on about $250 a month (for families), that is the bottom rung of survival. Basic Cars, Jeeps vans etc. can be quite cheap - if you do not require the mercedes or BMW you are used to!!  If you can survive on public transport, learn to use electrical appliances sparingly, do not need the latest gadgets, Have no major health issues, and are not cajoled into supporting the whole neighbourhood, then US$3000 a month is more than adequate. Less than that is a bit precarious - but very possible.

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 11:37:53 PM »
The discussion started on the topic of how much money is required to live in The Philippines.
That is like asking how deep is a hole.
US$3000 a month is more than adequate. Less than that is a bit precarious - but very possible.
Now, do you think that the Philippines is still a "Third World Country" with "First and or Second World Prices" they have now? That's why many have considered or already have moved back to their own perspective home country!
The Philippines isn't what it used to be though they say "it's more fun in the Philippines", but now it comes with a price, along with all the immigration bureaucratic hassles, when not too long ago a $1,000 a month or less was adequate for your average retired foreigner to live on who were not willing to live like your average local Filipinos, who for some were already living in poverty conditions!
The hard fact of the matter that sometimes one has to accept is that, it's always a matter of money, either one has it or one doesn't due to unfortunate circumstances in one's life in the past, during and or after a forced or voluntary retirement with no other options of gainful employment, but to make due with what one has to live or survive on! That's just life!         
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:54:09 AM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog