Author Topic: just saying hi!  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Jabberman

just saying hi!
« on: March 04, 2018, 10:54:09 PM »
I am so glad I have found this forum. I've looked over a few facebook pages and the negativity showed there almost put me off Philippines. I will be visiting for the first time in April, traveling to see someone who has become very special in my life. If it works out, then my plan is to carry on visiting her a few times a year and hopefully move out at least on a part time basis in around 5 years time. I know, I know, 'The Best Laid Plans of Mice & Men etc' but sometimes, we all have to make a leap of faith.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: just saying hi!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 04:13:00 AM »
I am so glad I have found this forum. I've looked over a few facebook pages and the negativity showed there almost put me off Philippines. I will be visiting for the first time in April, traveling to see someone who has become very special in my life. If it works out, then my plan is to carry on visiting her a few times a year and hopefully move out at least on a part time basis in around 5 years time. I know, I know, 'The Best Laid Plans of Mice & Men etc' but sometimes, we all have to make a leap of faith.
Welcome to our friendly group, good to have you on board, hope you enjoy the forum, feel free to ask all the questions you might need answers to and consider telling us more about your plans, I hope your plans all work out for the both of you, my wife and I live part of every year in Cebu so a part time life works for us too.

The Philippines is a fairly large country, 7641 island with around 2000 of them inhabited, so when you say you will be traveling to the Philippines, possibly you might wish to tell us where in the Philippines so we can be more helpful.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 06:08:40 AM »
Welcome to the group, Jabberman! What part of the PH is your special friend from? I'm fairly certain that someone has a connection to that area and can give you some insight. Good luck with your plans!
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Jabberman

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 07:43:39 AM »
Hi, thanks for your replies. I'm going to Talisay  Negros, which is just down the road from Bacolod. We've been corresponding for four months now and I guess it's one step at a time - the next step is meeting up face to face and see where we go from there. If all goes well, long term I think it's better for me to go Negros, whether to live or spend extended periods, quite simply because she has an amazing social life and also she seems to be so immersed in Talisay community stuff and I honestly think she would be bored in UK. Plus she feels cold when it's 25 so I don't think she'd cope too well with winter.

Seriously, I am at a crossroads in my life, I lived in Turkey for a few years and there seems to be a few similarities between the two, so even though I guess I've little experience of Philippine life, I think my experience of Turkey will come in handy. I'm living in UK at moment and it's taken me a couple of years to get over a nasty divorce and a host of other problems, I'm looking forward to a fresh start and early retirement.

The  most important thing is to finally meet each other, see if we have the same spark as we do online (I'm sure we will) spend some time getting to know each other. I won't go diving in head first, step by step and fingers crossed.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 08:43:00 AM »
Welcome aboard. Now you're in my neck of the woods.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 11:13:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum Jabberman.  Life is great here...if you come prepared.  Ask questions.  Research.  I had a job that took me around the world at a young age and I got to enjoy a lot of cultures and that helped prepare me for what was here. 

Everyone has come to live here from their own countries in different ways.  But, while not on this site, there are also many that came here expecting one thing, and then becoming quite unhappy when what they were expecting isn't what is. 

You can never do too much research or ask too many questions when you are doing both properly.  Hope you find happiness here.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline D. Williams

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum, ask and ye shall receive

the answers.  ;)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 06:42:45 PM »
I split off a post and moved it to its own topic HERE in order to get more responses and keep it and this on topic.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog