Author Topic: Cost of living, don't be fooled  (Read 5911 times)

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Cost of living, don't be fooled
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
Guys, how much does a bbq chicken cost where you are?

0 php.

They tear up the garden something fierce by scratching.  So a few years ago we decided to stick with Ducks.  Had a "Chicken Rodeo" and harvested them all.  That was some hilarious crap.  Nieces and Nephews chasing chickens all over.  Like a Benny Hill re-run on fast forward.

Before a month passes,  we've got more chickens.  Asked the neighbors whose animals they were.  Nobody knows.  Ok ... free range, gypsy, chickens?  Who would a thunk it.  Time for another roundup.

This has became yearly thing for us.   Roast up a few and spread them amongst the relatives.  Ester pressure cans the rest.  We usually harvest 10 or so birds each culling.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »
Agreed.  As all who have posted here seem to agree, overall costs are not all that cheap.  It think JoeLP has achieved an enviable position of being able to build up a savings account living in the Phils.  I doubt many can accomplish that.

When I lived in Quezon City in the 1990s, in a house I purchased, we still managed to go through about U.S. $7,000 per month.  Maybe more.  If I ever retire, I probably won't have much more than $6,000 a month coming in, so I won't go back to Metro Manila.  Or Cebu.  I know one guy renting a condo there paying P70,000 a month.  I have been there.  Not much of a place.  I could rent a nicer place in many U.S. cities for a lot less. 

Come on, if you live here on 6k a month you will live like a king, even in Manila.  Ridiculous to even state otherwise.   Now back to the topic from a more realistic perspective.   I find it somewhat cheaper to live here, even in a nice community, we shop at the markets etc.   It is cheaper and maybe significantly cheaper, however, and this is a BIG HOWEVER, it all depends on what you are willing to settle for with regards to life style, amenities etc...   Some on this forum can live a life style that I would never ever "choose"  and I am sure they are living on very little when compared to the USA.   I want air conditioning, a hot shower, a vehicle, decent internet etc.  So in my opinion, it IS somewhat cheaper, but it all depends....

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 12:59:29 PM »
Come on, if you live here on 6k a month you will live like a king, even in Manila.  Ridiculous to even state otherwise.   Now back to the topic from a more realistic perspective.   I find it somewhat cheaper to live here, even in a nice community, we shop at the markets etc.   It is cheaper and maybe significantly cheaper, however, and this is a BIG HOWEVER, it all depends on what you are willing to settle for with regards to life style, amenities etc...   Some on this forum can live a life style that I would never ever "choose"  and I am sure they are living on very little when compared to the USA.   I want air conditioning, a hot shower, a vehicle, decent internet etc.  So in my opinion, it IS somewhat cheaper, but it all depends....

You can call me ridiculous if that makes you feel superior. 

I suppose you are also calling Lee a liar as well.  He referred to lechon manok costing P255 for a one-pound bird compared to about $5 for a four-pounder back in Florida.  Is he too full of it?  So why don't you "come on" stop the ridiculous statements such as "It is cheaper and maybe significantly cheaper" when indeed it is not.  Not when comparing apples to apples.

You say you like aircon.  Lee mentioned paying P13,000 for electricity for an 860-square-foot condo in warmer months.  We lived in a 5,800-square foot detached house.  We kept the whole place cool all the time.  Do you have first-hand experience with paying the Meralco bill for that?  You say you want a vehicle.  Then you must know what new cars cost in the PI.  How does that compare to the U.S.?  It has perhaps changed, but time was if you wanted to drive every day in Manila, you needed 2 vehicles with tag numbers that allowed one car to be on the road when "color coding" keeps the other in the driveway.  Added cost. 

Lee also mentioned a friend shelling out P1.25 million for medical in relation to a heart attack "years ago", so presumably that would be more now.  I say one must budget for such events if living in the Phils.  Not cheaper than where I live now, essentially no cost.

Bigrod mentioned P48,000/mo. for groceries.  I am guessing that's not for 20 people.  He referred to a penchant for buying imported foods.  Me too.  I want to buy beef prime rib roasts, portobello mushrooms, lamb loin chops, salad greens, fine wine, etc.  In short, I do not want to reduce my standard below what I had living in the US and Canada.  I call you ridiculous if you think for a nanosecond that those things can be enjoyed in the Phils "significantly cheaper". 

In sum, don't give me any baloney about "live like a king" for $6k/mo. in Manila.  You are delusional.  Live comfortably, yes, particularly if you adopt a Filipino lifestyle.

And Lee, sorry for the rant, but in answer to your question, lechon at Costco here is about USD6.  They probably weigh in at about 4 lb. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:06:01 PM by Hestecrefter »

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 01:09:56 PM »
You can call me ridiculous if that makes you feel superior. 

I suppose you are also calling Lee a liar as well.  He referred to lechon manok costing P255 for a one-pound bird compared to about $5 for a four-pounder back in Florida.  Is he too full of it?  So why don't you "come on" stop the ridiculous statements such as "It is cheaper and maybe significantly cheaper" when indeed it is not.  Not when comparing apples to apples.

You say you like aircon.  Lee mentioned paying P13,000 for electricity for an 860-square-foot condo in warmer months.  We lived in a 5,800-square foot detached house.  We kept the whole place cool all the time.  Do you have first-hand experience with paying the Meralco bill for that?  You say you want a vehicle.  Then you must know what new cars cost in the PI.  How does that compare to the U.S.?  It has perhaps changed, but time was if you wanted to drive every day in Manila, you needed 2 vehicles with tag numbers that allowed one car to be on the road when "color coding" keeps the other in the driveway.  Added cost. 

Lee also mentioned a friend shelling out P1.25 million for medical in relation to a heart attack "years ago", so presumably that would be more now.  I say one must budget for such events if living in the Phils.  Not cheaper than where I live now, essentially no cost.

Bigrod mentioned P48,000/mo. for groceries.  I am guessing that's not for 20 people.  He referred to a penchant for buying imported foods.  Me too.  I want to buy beef prime rib roasts, portobello mushrooms, lamb loin chops, salad greens, fine wine, etc.  In short, I do not want to reduce my standard below what I had living in the US and Canada.  I call you ridiculous if you think for a nanosecond that those things can be enjoyed in the Phils "significantly cheaper". 

In sum, don't give me any baloney about "live like a king" for $6k/mo. in Manila.  You are delusional.  Live comfortably, yes, particularly if you adopt a Filipino lifestyle.

And Lee, sorry for the rant, but in answer to your question, lechon at Costco here is about USD6 at Costco.  They probably weigh in at about 4 lb.

Only live "comfortably" in the Philippines on 6k IF you adopt the lifestyle of a filipino?   Dude, are you insane?   lol what the heck...  I guarantee you most on this forum would agree with me, you can live like a fricken king on that salary.   Unless you are completely completely foolish with your money, that would be my only caveat.    Yes I have experience, I live in a gated community, our house is about 270 sqm,  we pay 2000k a month for HOA dues and about the same for taxes.   We have a vehicle and I do not eat spam, dried fish and sardines everyday.   Additionally I have 10 people living in this house (in addition to my wife and myself).  So I would say I do have some experience.   

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 01:35:06 PM »
Hestercrefter I never said I spend php 48K on food.  We do spend a lot more than most Filipinos due since I like good food.  I spend on average 10K in S&R  a month not counting what is spent in other supermarkets and pelengkes.  We also eat out at least weekly.  I too like prime beef, lamb, and wines, etc.  I have a/c for a 750 sqft house and average about 6K a month, do I run them 24/7, no they run when needed.  Yes we have a car bought new in 2016, and yes we now have coding on certain roads at certain times in Cavite, so no need for a second car just plan ahead.

If I had $6K a month I would buy the 450 sqm lot next JJ and build a 3000 sqft house, because that would be $3K more than I get now..  I live very well on my military retirement and SS pensions here.  As far as medical at least 75% will be taken care of by TriCare(Mil) and the rest by Philhealth hopefully.  I still bank about $1K a month on my meager retirement pensions.

Chuck
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:19:13 PM by bigrod »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 02:06:28 PM »
Hestercrefter I never said I spend php 48K on food.  We do spend a lot more than most Filipinos due since I like good food.  I spend on average 10K in S&R  a month not counting what is spent in other supermarkets and pelengkes.  We also eat out at least weekly.  I too like prime beef, lamb, and wines, etc.  I have a/c for a 750 sqft house and average about 6K a month, do I run them 24/7, no they run when needed.  Yes we have a car bought new in 2016, and yes we now have coding on certain roads at certain times in Cavite, so no need for a second car just plan ahead.

If I had $6K a month I would by the 450 sqm lot next JJ and build a 3000 sqft house, because that would be $3K more than I get now..  I live very well on my military retirement and SS pensions here.  As far as medical at least 75% will be taken care of by TriCare(Mil) and the rest by Philhealth hopefully.  I still bank about $1K a month on my meager retirement pensions.

Chuck

Chuck, if you were spending that much on food I was about to invite myself and the family down to Gen Trias once a week for a buffet style meal.   :)    We also spend A LOT more on food than what a typical "filipino lifestyle" family would spend.    In addition to what I have already mentioned I am also sending two of my nieces to a private school, and I dont even come close to making 6k a month.  Lastly, I live much much much better than I would be if I adopted the "filipino lifestyle"

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 02:25:07 PM »
I too like prime beef

I have some Au jus and home made horseradish, (nudge nudge wink wink).

In direct answer to the chicken question ... I just asked Ester.  Roasted chicken is 130 php each at the local bbq vendor, (Pangasinan).

My monthly outlay is about $600.  But we actively work at permanently eliminating our outflows.  Most of that is in gifts to various family for helping us.  I suppose that would go up if I amortized in the infrastructure build out costs.  It would still be cheaper than the States.

The thing for us was that we would have spent 3 times the equipment costs in regulatory compliance in the land of the big px.  In that perspective it's A LOT cheaper.

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »
We don't have a mortgage on our 2 Cebu condo units that we had put together to make an 860 sq foot 2/2, back when we bought them in 2007, long since paid off, so right now cost to live in them is pretty inexpensive, a little under p10,000 a year in taxes for both and under p2,500 a month in condo fees, water usually under p500 a month but electric hits us with a cost of around p13,000 a month on warmer months, I really need to buy inverter type aircons but it just does not pay for us to spend the money until the ones we have crap out and especially at my age. Cable is only p299 a month for basic, full cable is I think p1,200 and internet cost me around p1,500 a month since I found that when buying the monthly prepaid packages for p999 Smart limits the amount I can use but by the day or week, it seems like they only slow me down some and not to the point where it becomes unusable, so I can live with that.

So all in all it is cheaper to live here for those costs, yet just the other day Nila bought a bbq chicken, boy the chickens here are soooooo tiny, anyway it was p255 for that chicken and my guess is that it would be lucky to weigh in at 1lb, back in Florida we buy bbq chickens for $4.99 at Costco or $5.99 at supermarkets and the chickens weigh in at around 4lbs, the weight is right on the package there, so 4 times as much for the same money, a much better value in Florida and we eat a lot of chicken when there.

Guys, how much does a bbq chicken cost where you are?

Also I think I wrote before, some items cost much less here and others cost a lot more, so it becomes a wash of sorts, when all is put into the mix but anyone who thinks they can live much less expensive here than in the U.S., best think again unless they come here from expensive places in the U.S. YMMV and yes it cost less here than in many European countries, so for them the Philippines may reduce their costs a lot.

I buy frozen cornish hens at S&R and they weigh approx 1 lb.  The chickens we buy roasted at S&R, Andoks, etc are larger than a pound probably close to 1K.  We get prepared for appox php 250.  Normally we get 3 meals out of each and I am not a small eater. These were two we roasted before in a 13"x9" baking dish.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:44:58 PM by bigrod »

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »
As Art often writes, different strokes for different folks, we are all different, therefore, we all may have different ways to live. Now as far as spending that type of money, my wife and I live in Florida and Cebu and we do not spend anywhere near a month for our dual lifestyle including airfare as $72,000 a year, so most of you spend more than we do and I suspect you spend much more than many expats that move to the Philippines, that means we have the elite premium expats group on here, lol  ;) thumbs up guys and gals..
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »
6000 dollars a month would qualify as "elite" in the Philippines; it is more than a Brain Surgeon makes, more than a senator, more than the president of a university...   Granted, it is only enough to live on if you choose to live the filipino lifestyle :)   

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 04:44:26 PM »
As far as price of vehicles our Hyundai Tucson was just a couple hundred dollars more than the US price so not a big difference.  In regards to prime beef and lamb I get Aus/NZ at S&R at about the same price or a little cheaper than I would pay in California.  Having compared wine and liquor prices since 2010 it has been my experience that I can buy premium products here at the same or a little lower price.  As far as rum and brandies I can live with the local Tanduay(750ml @php 85) or Emperador(1L @ php 112) for my nightly cocktail.  As far as salad greens it is a short drive to Tagaytay to get fresh from the farms at lower prices than the Supermarkets.  I get fresh ground barako coffee when needed on the way to Tagaytay in my asawa's hometown for a lot cheaper than I can buy it in the USA.

Chuck

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
We live a Filipino life style.  We support 2 other families (brothers) and send cousins and nephews to college.

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 06:59:30 PM »
We live a Filipino life style.  We support 2 other families (brothers) and send cousins and nephews to college.

Can you define that is it like Tondo style or middle class or rich Filipino.  There is a great variance between the different status.  We also have sent nieces and nephews to college with more to follow. The parents in my view need to contribute what they can if they can.  We do not support extended family but do help if there is a legitimate need.  I came here to live a retired life and support my asawa not to support an extended families  every want.  That is just me other peoples mileage may very.  Also the reason I did not build in the family compound.

Chuck

Offline chimellie

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 10:51:34 PM »
I don't live in the Philippines, only visit once a year or every 2 years and stay for about 3 weeks. But whenever we're there, we spend about 1500P a day on food to feed 7 people, we usually have chicken, seafood and rice. Sometimes we have beef, sliced beef fried with vegetables, not filet steaks. Filet are too expensive.

When we leave we give 10k P to he sister to pay the electric bill because we use AC a lot when we're there. The total we spend on food and electric bill comes to about  40k for 20 days there, less than 1000 USD . Now did I live like a king ? No, but I did live a lot better than the average Pinoy.

I think it's just the saying "live like a king " is just a saying to live really good, truly to live like a king you need at least a few million of piso a week. A king would have at least 10 maids, 4 drivers, bodyguards, a few Mercedes, a few girlfriends, unlimited foods, champagne...etc.....         

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 11:40:40 PM »
I don't live in the Philippines, only visit once a year or every 2 years and stay for about 3 weeks. But whenever we're there, we spend about 1500P a day on food to feed 7 people, we usually have chicken, seafood and rice. Sometimes we have beef, sliced beef fried with vegetables, not filet steaks. Filet are too expensive.

When we leave we give 10k P to he sister to pay the electric bill because we use AC a lot when we're there. The total we spend on food and electric bill comes to about  40k for 20 days there, less than 1000 USD . Now did I live like a king ? No, but I did live a lot better than the average Pinoy.

This sounds really reasonable to me.   And about the same as what I experienced in the past. 
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog