Author Topic: Cost of living, don't be fooled  (Read 5785 times)

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: Cost of living, don't be fooled
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 12:40:24 AM »
Screw all this talk about chickens.  I want beef and I get beef.  And I don't have a 48k peso grocery bill a month or have a 72k USD budget for living.  For one thing, I don't get anywhere near 72k USD.  And whoever that was talking about having two or three live in maids plus a driver and his wife living with them, even if I did have enough coming in for someone's 72k USD a year budget, I would still be making sure that driver's wife knew how to use a broom and replace one of those maids.

And as far as all the elite guys on here, no, you are mistaken.  There are only a handful of you that are like you and are such.  But, I am happy as is.  Well, yeah, everyone would like to have more money.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2018, 01:26:02 AM »
I also don't make $72k a year, but I give my wife now a grocery budget of P12k a week and she manages to spend it every week. When some of you read this, you must take into account what our P12k a week grocery budget consists of, which consists of quite a variety of things and they're mostly imported goods. It also covers our weekly dining out 2 to 3 times a week breakfast, lunch and dinner including in between snacks.
We live in an area that provides all of our grocery shopping needs just within a 1/4 mile radius. We have our local Pinoy market, 5 supermarkets just mintues away from each other. I don't go shopping with my  wife, I just drop her off and pick her up when she's done with all of her shopping.
We also have alot of other eatery places within a few minutes from each other like in Paseo de Sta Rosa, Ayala Mall at Nuvali, A Vista Mall with a new Denny's just a few blocks from where we live and other sorts of eatery places like great pizza at S&R.
I'll stop there, but many more all close by.
We seldom go out on weekends, because traffic is at a snail's pace from all of the out of towners going to Tagaytay via Nuvali.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:41:56 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 08:06:56 AM »
My joke about the elite expats group was just that, a joke and all I meant was that we have some elite expats on here, not all, I know that I too do not fit into that group but I also know that I and all of us should only wish the best for those who do, they no doubt worked hard before retirement to deserve to have the better life they now have. Everyone deserves to have the life they wish to have and can afford to have, some of us are more blessed than others and there is nothing wrong with it being that way. 
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »
My joke about the elite expats group was just that, a joke and all I meant was that we have some elite expats on here, not all, I know that I too do not fit into that group but I also know that I and all of us should only wish the best for those who do, they no doubt worked hard before retirement to deserve to have the better life they now have. Everyone deserves to have the life they wish to have and can afford to have, some of us are more blessed than others and there is nothing wrong with it being that way.

We definitely got off the beaten path on this topic and I will take the blame.  I just did not want people to get the idea that 6k a month would force one to live like a typical filipino, and I still feel a statement like that is absolutely utterly ridiculous, and no it does not make me feel "superior" to voice that opinion.   I do not know, but I doubt very few of us have a monthly living salary of 6k, I sure as hell dont.   If you live within your means and shop smartly I do feel it is quite a bit cheaper to live here than the USA.    So for those of you following this post that do not live here, and are contemplating the move, please disregard 6k a month as any kind of benchmark at all.   

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 09:38:29 AM »
We spend around $2,000 a month but we also own our own place, so no rents, and stay on a Balikbayan Privilege, so no visa fees, and we do not have health insurance here, my U.S. Blue Cross will possibly cover us for an emergency here, so no health insurance fees, and we do not have a vehicle here, so no upkeep or insurance but possibly taxis cost us around the same or close.

IMO the days or living in $1,000 a month are gone unless we want to live a simple life in the provinces, then it probably still can be done on even around half of that.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 09:56:37 AM »
A budget of 1000 USD a month?  Yeah, that is living simple alright.  I would say maybe 3/5 of that at my place goes to groceries and other food.  But that would be damn simple living, I would guess, even in the provinces.  I never really sat down and calculated up the groceries but that might be right on me.  I guess there are people content with spending that small a budget to live.  Not me though.  And I am another one who did not come to the Philippines to live the so called "average Filipino lifestyle".  Which I sure see a bunch of average Filipinos living better than me.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
A budget of 1000 USD a month?  Yeah, that is living simple alright.

I look around me and see that most of my neighbors, (regardless of ethnicity, religiosity, or nationality), confuse "want's" with "need's".  As a result they are perennially broke.  Regardless of the size of their income.

Their kids, and grandkids, are raised with that confusion.  So the tendency to perpetual poverty becomes inherited, and cultural.

There are alternatives to the consumption based lifestyle.

In my experience living a production based lifestyle is healthier, more fulfilling, and more meaningful than grazing on what ever is marketed to you. 

It is damn sure cheaper.   

Hope this helps.

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »
We've lived in the Philippines 20 years now and have lived the different lifestyles out in the provinces, small townes and within the city, but we now live in the modern suburban community of Sta Rosa, Laguna which we prefer. It's not cheap to live here and a $1,000 a month budget just will not do. 
"Que Sera Sera"!

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »
Screw all this talk about chickens. 
Lee just loves his large size chickens. ;)
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2018, 11:30:21 AM »
Lee just loves his large size chickens. ;)
Yup, the chickens here barely fill one of my teeth.  8)

Offline chimellie

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »
A friend of mine just moved to Bauang  La Union, near Manila. He's paying 6k a month for 1 bedroom apartment near the beach, he spends about 25k a month on food. He doesn't drink every night, but drinks moderately on weekends. He doesn't live like a king, but he lives comfortably on about 1000 USD a month. I almost forget to mention he just met a young lady there, she stays with him and doing laundry, cooking ...etc.., he's giving her parents 1500 a week.

I don't think he's lying to me about the those figures, if it's true then yes you can live in the Philippines really good for 1000 usd a month if you were single.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »
A friend of mine just moved to Bauang  La Union, near Manila. He's paying 6k a month for 1 bedroom apartment near the beach, he spends about 25k a month on food. He doesn't drink every night, but drinks moderately on weekends. He doesn't live like a king, but he lives comfortably on about 1000 USD a month. I almost forget to mention he just met a young lady there, she stays with him and doing laundry, cooking ...etc.., he's giving her parents 1500 a week.

I don't think he's lying to me about the those figures, if it's true then yes you can live in the Philippines really good for 1000 usd a month if you were single.
You may be leaving out immigration fees and health insurance costs, that would be at least another $200 a month, many people seem to not include those in costs and then comes socking away some for a rainy day or an exit plan.

Then, a one bedroom apartment on the beach, how big is it, usually one room, IMO one room or 18 sq meters does not an apartment make, many people in Cebu call a studio an apartment. 

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2018, 07:10:32 PM »
You may be leaving out immigration fees and health insurance costs, that would be at least another $200 a month, many people seem to not include those in costs and then comes socking away some for a rainy day or an exit plan.

Then, a one bedroom apartment on the beach, how big is it, usually one room, IMO one room or 18 sq meters does not an apartment make, many people in Cebu call a studio an apartment.

Since you come yearly on a BB do you realize what a 9a visa cost?  It is less than $40 a month.  Health insurance again will depend on the individual(age, health conditions, etc).  PhilHealth can be purchased by foreigner for php 17K per year, again about less than $30 a month.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2018, 07:20:20 PM »
Since you come yearly on a BB do you realize what a 9a visa cost?  It is less than $40 a month.  Health insurance again will depend on the individual(age, health conditions, etc).  PhilHealth can be purchased by foreigner for php 17K per year, again about less than $30 a month.

Chuck

PhilHealth is not real insurance, it basically covers nothing.

Immigration also means an ACR fee plus a tourist has to leave every 36 months and then there are ECC fees, a person needs to take them all into account, none by themselves are a big deal but if someone gets very sick without REAL insurance then it could be a big deal and if they do not have the cash or a high value credit credit card, then they may just die.
http://www.immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/extension-of-authorized-stay-beyond-59-days

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »
I look around me and see that most of my neighbors, (regardless of ethnicity, religiosity, or nationality), confuse "want's" with "need's".  As a result they are perennially broke.  Regardless of the size of their income.

Their kids, and grandkids, are raised with that confusion.  So the tendency to perpetual poverty becomes inherited, and cultural.

There are alternatives to the consumption based lifestyle.

In my experience living a production based lifestyle is healthier, more fulfilling, and more meaningful than grazing on what ever is marketed to you. 

It is damn sure cheaper.   

Hope this helps.

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't have enough room to grow a garden.  That is the one thing that did not pan out the way I wanted during retirement.  Not yet anyway.  My wife has her business here and she is not ready to retire.  Sooner or later it will happen though.  Just going to take some more time.  Not complaining for the time being though.  All her profit she uses for what she wants and puts the rest back in her business.  I just cover all the household and she doesn't bother me for pesos.  I am already just looking around some and scoping out the landscape for where there might be some available land not costing too much and where I might want to set up.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog