Author Topic: For those in the cities. Anyone see the new Jeepneys yet?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
For those in the cities. Anyone see the new Jeepneys yet?
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:40:32 AM »
Out here in Catarman, everything is as it's always been and I think nothing is going to change that for at least the next few years if ever.  That said, the new series of Jeepneys was suppose to be rolling out about now in some of the cities, or maybe even just Manila.

Has anyone seen them?  I try like hell to stay away from these old ones as I am far too tall for them and end up with a kink in my neck every time I get in one.  But the new ones all seem to be made to do a much better job of holding us foreigners who are a bit to big for the standard Jeepney.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: For those in the cities. Anyone see the new Jeepneys yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:16:31 AM »
I have not seen any here in Cebu yet but we do have MyBus which is working toward less pollution here.
https://tinyurl.com/y6vcyz4f
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
What new jeepneys? I haven't riden in a jeepney let alone taxis in 18 yrs ever since we moved into our new home here in Sta Rosa, Laguna. There's only a handful of jeepneys (no taxis) servicing our modern upscale suburban area.
I've been driving my old vintage 1979 Toyota Corrolla all this time. We have a second used 2006 Toyota Innova as our backup vehicle. Most of our well to do neighbors in our gated community own 2 or 3 luxury vehicles.
No tricycles for me, they're just too cramp and dangerous in my opinion.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 03:41:28 PM »
Out here in Catarman, everything is as it's always been and I think nothing is going to change that for at least the next few years if ever.  That said, the new series of Jeepneys was suppose to be rolling out about now in some of the cities, or maybe even just Manila.

Has anyone seen them?  I try like hell to stay away from these old ones as I am far too tall for them and end up with a kink in my neck every time I get in one.  But the new ones all seem to be made to do a much better job of holding us foreigners who are a bit to big for the standard Jeepney.

I think they are running some in Makati.  Don't shoot me if I am wrong as I am from a poor neighborhood and we run regular cars rather than ride the jeeps.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Brisbane

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 12:03:46 AM »
I seen one passing through the IT park maybe 2 months ago. Big screen TV is the first thing I noticed. Haven't seen it since or know where it was going.

Offline jcordon7

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »
In alabang they have their own e-jeepneys rolling out with a route. I also saw some "new" jeeps around katipunan and commonwealth ave in quezon city. But the sad thing about it is that its already ugly. Mukang hindi naalagaan so ganun din nag mumukang luma.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 12:06:12 PM »
In alabang they have their own e-jeepneys rolling out with a route. I also saw some "new" jeeps around katipunan and commonwealth ave in quezon city. But the sad thing about it is that its already ugly. Mukang hindi naalagaan so ganun din nag mumukang luma.

Welcome to the forum. All posts should be in English as per the Rules of this forum or with translations, as many of the members are people from other countries. I believe the translation for what you wrote is "It does not work so well that it makes you feel old"
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 06:59:18 PM »
What new jeepneys? I haven't riden in a jeepney let alone taxis in 18 yrs ever since we moved into our new home here in Sta Rosa, Laguna. There's only a handful of jeepneys (no taxis) servicing our modern upscale suburban area.
I've been driving my old vintage 1979 Toyota Corrolla all this time. We have a second used 2006 Toyota Innova as our backup vehicle. Most of our well to do neighbors in our gated community own 2 or 3 luxury vehicles.
No tricycles for me, they're just too cramp and dangerous in my opinion.
  No Jeepneys in Sta Rosa, but there are about 400 trikes for every one person...  No offense but I hate driving thru sta rosa, it is growing RAPIDLY, I dont know how they are going to deal with all that traffic.   Getting rid of those fn trikes would be a great, and smart, start

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 09:05:08 PM »

Are you talking about jeepneys to ply routes through and out of Alabang area or are you talking about the Eco-loop vehicles like the attached?  If the attached, they have been running around the Filinvest area the past few years.  Now, Sunday a week ago yesterday, I was heading up the CAA Road between Las Pinas and Evacom (up near Waltermart Sucat).  About half a dozen (maybe more) groups of two and three of what looked like electric jeepneys were heading towards Las Pinas.  I assumed they were going to Las Pinas, but maybe they were going through to somewhere else like Alabang.

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 09:14:27 PM »
  No Jeepneys in Sta Rosa, but there are about 400 trikes for every one person...  No offense but I hate driving thru sta rosa, it is growing RAPIDLY, I dont know how they are going to deal with all that traffic.   Getting rid of those fn trikes would be a great, and smart, start
400 trikes for every one person? A little over exagerated don't you say? How many other town or city you have to drive through that isn't congested with traffic?
We live close by to everything we need so traffic isn't an issue. We just avoid rush hour traffic and it only takes us minutes to get home. Anyway I don't do any long distance driving out of town like most out of towners not from our area.
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 09:53:03 PM »
If you go through that area on the right day of the week and right time of the morning, guess what?  Very, very little to no traffic.  Just a matter of timing.

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 11:47:06 PM »
If you go through that area on the right day of the week and right time of the morning, guess what?  Very, very little to no traffic.  Just a matter of timing.
My point exactly! That's true too in other places where out of towners are familiar with the area they drive through.
BTW, wthere are electric mini buses at Nuvali only and only 2 regular Calamba passenger jeeneys at Shop Wise across the street from Paseo de Sta Rosa.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 12:13:20 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 07:27:29 AM »
My point exactly! That's true too in other places where out of towners are familiar with the area they drive through.
BTW, wthere are electric mini buses at Nuvali only and only 2 regular Calamba passenger jeeneys at Shop Wise across the street from Paseo de Sta Rosa.

Yeah.  And that is also true in populated areas outside of the Philippines.  You would not catch me going through Orlando, FL any time during late morning, afternoon, or up until about 10pm on any day.  And once or twice a month I would go to Tampa to a dirt track there.  Early afternoon, I would drive down Hwy 301 and I-75 to completely avoid the central area of Florida.  The races would be over at or shortly after 10pm in Tampa.  Then, and only then would I take the shorter distance on I-4 through Orlando and then up I-95 to Jax.  With the explosion of Jacksonville, from when I first moved there in early 70s, lucky for me the last 16 years that I worked, I had a position where I worked late evening until early morning.  That way I could avoid, to some extent, so much of the traffic congestion which now a days is daily life.  And I am not even going to attempt to say anything about traffic in California.  Just thinking about that place gives me a headache right now.  So, as usual, the Philippines does not have anything on the US or any other places.  If you ask me, it is more of a case of something for people to gripe about and some people will never be happy unless they can gripe no matter where they live.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 09:27:26 AM »
400 trikes for every one person? A little over exagerated don't you say? How many other town or city you have to drive through that isn't congested with traffic?
We live close by to everything we need so traffic isn't an issue. We just avoid rush hour traffic and it only takes us minutes to get home. Anyway I don't do any long distance driving out of town like most out of towners not from our area.
Yes of course I was exaggerating, but there are a LOT.  Especially when you get down past where you live.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog