Author Topic: Negotiating  (Read 834 times)

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Negotiating
« on: May 02, 2018, 11:19:48 PM »
How to negotiate if buying a new car?

Any ideas will help as I do not know what questions to ask.

In USA when buying a car I do some online research about price then ask friends what a particular model should cost.  With money in hand can usually get a good discount off msrp.  Getting below a loss leader advertised price is almost impossible, at least for me.  Finding what should be the correct price is not always easy.

How does one do this in the Philippines?  Do you offer less and a manager will negotiate or?????  How does one find the real price?  I would think if an offer is in the right range the seller will know and agree.
“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
Re: Negotiating
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »
try to negotiate the same as you would in the USA or other countries.   Also, have them add extras such as window tinting, floor mats etc. etc.   Many of the "standard" items you are accustom to will not be part of the deal, so try to negotiate as much as possible and ask many questions.

Offline D. Williams

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »
I am not in the Philippines I found these online and thought possibly they might help.
https://www.carmudi.com.ph/
https://www.autodeal.com.ph/
http://ph.priceprice.com/cars/
Does S&R offer car buying services like Costco does?

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 12:24:30 PM »
How to negotiate if buying a new car?

Any ideas will help as I do not know what questions to ask.

In USA when buying a car I do some online research about price then ask friends what a particular model should cost.  With money in hand can usually get a good discount off msrp.  Getting below a loss leader advertised price is almost impossible, at least for me.  Finding what should be the correct price is not always easy.

How does one do this in the Philippines?  Do you offer less and a manager will negotiate or?????  How does one find the real price?  I would think if an offer is in the right range the seller will know and agree.

I assume that you are talking about buying new from a dealer.  In my case I simply visited my Ford dealer here in Davao and negotiated directly with a salesman there the best price.  I then sent email requests to 4 different Ford dealers in Manila asking for their best price having detailed exactly the model, colour specification I wanted, in my case Ford Ranger Wildtrak3.2 diesel 4x4 in Pride Orange.  They all sent me their offers which in all cases included additional items, mats, tints, LTO registration, Emergency Roadside Assistance, fuel.  I then carried out the negotiations for the best price with each of them until settling on a main dealer in BGC Manila.  Transferred them a holding deposit, and paid the balance with a managers cheque before picking up the car.  Easy, no problems.
Londoner at heart

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 09:42:37 PM »
Easy, no problems.

I remember you posting about it,  thanks for the details on how to purchase.   It makes sense.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 09:44:34 PM »
try to negotiate the same as you would in the USA or other countries. 

Thanks,  sort of what I thought also.   I had several ppl telling me that the price will be fixed and so on.  I guess it is just like anything else.  It can be negotiated.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 08:55:19 AM »
I bought in 2016 and looked at different vehicles and dealerships.  It appears all dealerships have the same SRP from the manufacturer.  They do run promos during the year as when we bought our Hyundai Tucson which had  a 100K discount, plus the normal inclusion of mats, tint, 3 yr registration, insurance, auto club, etc.  Hyundai is again running a promo from 1-31 May 18 for 50-200K off depending on the model.  We were financing so haggling on the price seemed to be a non player at all the dealerships but that might have been because the vehicles we looked at were already on a promo price.  Haggling came into play on getting extras that were not already included. 

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog