Author Topic: How many on here live a distance from the nearest hospital?  (Read 1797 times)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
I never thought of this before as something that is a good/bad thing.  Having lived here nearly 5 years now, I realize how much of a blessing it is to have 2 good level quality(by Philippines standards) hospitals withing a few miles.  Be it when Tina was about to give birth to LJ, or the few trips needed to the hospital for Tina, the boys, or myself. 

We just had to rush LJ(youngest boy) to the hospital a couple nights ago at around 10pm.  It is a nice thing to be able to do without having to think about packing up bags and all that because if we need something from home, a quick run home is easy to do.

A lot of the foreigners in the area I live are in the next municipality to the west and for them to get to a hospital, they need to come to the hospitals I use as they are the only ones in the area.  Talking a 20 minute drive in good driving conditions.  There are a few that live to the east along the shore an in the next municipality that way and it's even further.  One of those guys was in an accident on his bike and the response time was horrible.  Thankfully no serious damage was done and most was just cosmetic damage. 

So how many of my fellow "rural living ex-pats" are living a municipality or further from a hospital?  Does it cause any troubles?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:29:37 AM by JoeLP »
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: How many on here live a distance from the nearest hospital?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 05:32:15 AM »
Being close to hospitals and doctors was one of the main reasons we decided to live in a condo in Cebu City while in the Philippines, previous to that I got fairly sick while up in the provinces of Mindanao, thinking about how they would ever get me to a hospital if it came to that, thankfully I was able to ride it out and survived.

We each have to make decisions in life, ours was to be close to malls for exercise while in aircon, part of staying healthy for me and to be near just about all we could ever need, others have different wants and needs, no one way is the right way for everyone, each of us has to decide what is right for us and our loved ones.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:34:47 AM »
Being close to hospitals and doctors was one of the main reasons we decided to live in a condo in Cebu City while in the Philippines, previous to that I got fairly sick while up in the provinces of Mindanao, thinking about how they would ever get me to a hospital if it came to that, thankfully I was able to ride it out and survived.

We each have to make decisions in life, ours was to be close to malls for exercise while in aircon, part of staying healthy for me and to be near just about all we could ever need, others have different wants and needs, no one way is the right way for everyone, each of us has to decide what is right for us and our loved ones.
Wasn't trying to imply what is right or wrong.  I was just curious.  Like I said above, I didn't even think of it.  If I was in my 20's and living here I think I'd be even further away from the hustle and bustle.  It just hit me recently how much of a nice thing it is to have hospitals as close as I do.  I was then curious about some on this site.  I know when I lived in Bataan the hospital nearest me was over a 30 minute drive north to Balanga City.  I was younger then and never needed it for any reason so not big deal. 
On that note, I know a big chunk of our members are not young anymore and hospitals might be something that could be more of a need.  So was curious on where they live in relation to the nearest hospital.  That's all.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »
No problem for us since the nearest hospital, Southern Luzon/Medical City is only a 1/4 mile from our home and will be TRICARE accredited eventually. The other major hospital, Asian Hospital which is TRICARE accredited is 30 minutes away off the main SLEX freeway.
We also have a Mercury Drug store just accross the street from our home which is TRICARE approved for 75% reimbursement of all of our annual medication.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 07:45:47 AM »
Wasn't trying to imply what is right or wrong.  I was just curious.  Like I said above, I didn't even think of it.  If I was in my 20's and living here I think I'd be even further away from the hustle and bustle.  It just hit me recently how much of a nice thing it is to have hospitals as close as I do.  I was then curious about some on this site.  I know when I lived in Bataan the hospital nearest me was over a 30 minute drive north to Balanga City.  I was younger then and never needed it for any reason so not big deal. 
On that note, I know a big chunk of our members are not young anymore and hospitals might be something that could be more of a need.  So was curious on where they live in relation to the nearest hospital.  That's all.
I was not commenting on your POV, rather on my own.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 08:15:28 AM »
To get to Medical Center Parañaque I could walk once I drove up to the main gate.  From there, I could walk across the street to the side of SM BF City, walk to the front of the mall and the go across the street directly in front of it.  Mercury right outside the gate and the other main top dog drug store (can't remember the name) inside the mall along with various drug stores with various names all around.  My boy was born in MCP and they have been in the process, during the past two years, of putting up a brand new bigger hospital directly in front of their current hospital.  About 1 kilometer northwest up the highway from there is Unihealth-Parañaque Hospital and Medical Center.  Brand new building there too which opened about three or four years ago.  About another one and a half to two kilometers up the road from that one is Olivarez General Hospital at the Olivarez College up there and another in the area is Parañaque Doctor's Hospital.  Don't remember seeing that one (the Doctor's Hospital) around so not sure exactly where.  I just know of it.  If I jump on SLEX, Asian Medical Center in Alabang is 20 minutes down the highway.  Other hospitals  like in Las Piñas and the ones in Cavite and Laguna but I can't remember them all.  If any of this isn't enough or can't get the job done, I will just have to go ahead and die.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 06:35:58 PM »
Living close to good medical facilities was paramount in making our decision to live where we do, only 6km from Davao Adventist Hospital.  Another major consideration was being close to an international airport.
Londoner at heart

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 11:23:20 PM »
Living close to good medical facilities was paramount in making our decision to live where we do, only 6km from Davao Adventist Hospital.  Another major consideration was being close to an international airport.

Yeah, I forgot and thanks for the reminder.  I live a few kilometers from NAIA.  I guess I should check and see which terminal flights to Guam go out of in case, I need to catch a flight to Guam in order to go to hospital where I would be able to soon use Medicare in case something big goes down.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 12:42:45 PM »
Fortunately I have five hospitals all within 2-4km distance of my apartment. The closest of them is a university teaching hospital. Have used the ER a couple times, all modern up to date equipment. Don't like the fact that you can't be seen only by one person. Being a teaching hospital the Dr. is actually the last person you see after 5 others have all ask the same questions, poked and prodded you. Have to admit very through.

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
Just because a hospital is nearby, doesn't mean their services are inexpensive.
Our neighbor, an American guy had symtoms of an heart attack and went to the nearest hospital just minutes away. He was charged P750,000 for a 1 day stay. His condition wasn't as bad as he felt, but a costly one.
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 02:40:14 PM »
Our neighbor, an American guy had symtoms of an heart attack and went to the nearest hospital just minutes away. He was charged P750,000 for a 1 day stay. His condition wasn't as bad as he felt, but a costly one.

Just checking I read that right.....P750k, three quarter million pesos for 1 day???
Londoner at heart

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 04:11:04 PM »
Just checking I read that right.....P750k, three quarter million pesos for 1 day???
Yes that's correct, P750,000! Orignally it was  P1 million and had my wife inquire without getting too nosey.
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »

So what is the difference between hospitals here and back across the pond?  In general, they have a tendency to overcharge you on either side.  There is a lesson for you though.  If you need to go to the hospital, it is best you don't just jump at the nearest one without seeing how much it would cost you.  That is what I live by.  And if I can't find one that suits me price wise, oh well, I guess they will just have to let me die.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 03:08:57 AM »
Yes that's correct, P750,000! Orignally it was  P1 million and had my wife inquire without getting too nosey.

Any idea's on what he had done for that amount?   That sounds like a US emergency room rate.  I believe, it just sounds like a lot.  I have paid hospital emergency bills for family before.  Never that much or even close.
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 08:31:10 PM »

You can have quad heart bypass at the Heart Center for that amount.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog