Author Topic: Funeral like a fiesta in Cebu.  (Read 1561 times)

Offline chimellie

Funeral like a fiesta in Cebu.
« on: June 03, 2018, 07:17:30 PM »
While we were in Cebu my mother in-law died in her sleep, she was 86. The funeral home took her body to prepare then brought her back to the house and she stayed at home for 9 days. Every day and night family, friends, neighbors came and pray with us for 9 days, at night we had a priest come and had a mass at round 6pm, after the mass they ate, got drunk and gambled all night, this went on for 9 nights. By the end of the 3rd day I couldn't do it anymore so I went to bed after the mass. It seems like a fiesta not a wake, I wonder why they drank and gamble all night, my wife said it's the Filipino tradition. Has anyone experienced this ?   

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: Funeral like a fiesta in Cebu.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »
Same thing when my ex's dad died.  That was in Bataan. 

Gambling at a wake/funeral is common though all across the Philippines.  Every time there is a death in the places I've lived(Orion, Bataan and Catarman, Northern Samar) the little portable "pavilions" are popped up on the street or front yard and the dice games come out and gambling starts.  Some of the "pavilions" are sponsored by the funeral company which made me laugh the first time I saw it. 

The fun part, if you can take it, is the stories.  My ex's dad was an Isidro from the clan Isidro with ties to Marcos.  His cousins were some of Marcos' "personal goons" if you will.  So when the drinking starts...the stories start.  I walked out to get fresh air a few times more from the stories I was told and what they did to me than the drinking or other stuff going on at a funeral.

Things like this use to happen in somewhat similar fashion in the south in the USA.  Staying up with the dead at the wake.  They would go for days also.  I think Ray Stevens even made a song about it. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 03:14:09 AM »
While we were in Cebu my mother in-law died in her sleep, she was 86. The funeral home took her body to prepare then brought her back to the house and she stayed at home for 9 days. Every day and night family, friends, neighbors came and pray with us for 9 days, at night we had a priest come and had a mass at round 6pm, after the mass they ate, got drunk and gambled all night, this went on for 9 nights. By the end of the 3rd day I couldn't do it anymore so I went to bed after the mass. It seems like a fiesta not a wake, I wonder why they drank and gamble all night, my wife said it's the Filipino tradition. Has anyone experienced this ?   

I think this is common practice around Cebu and Visayas.

Then on the first year anniversary of the passing should be some activity again.
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 06:29:58 AM »

Then on the first year anniversary of the passing should be some activity again.

You are correct on the first year anniversary.  Tina's catering company does a lot of those. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:40:41 AM »

I have a friend who's family lived in Cavite and had not just moved there were but from there.  She and her family did exactly all that with over a week at the house for the funeral of her mama and then on the first anniversary.  The passing happened three years before I left the US and she went on leave both times.  Since I have been here, it has never crossed my mind until reading this thread.  And my wife had a couple of titas and a cousin pass shortly after the time of my friend's mama and all this did not go down.  So, I need to ask her about what it is all about.  Like i said, it had completely slipped my mind until reading.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline chimellie

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
So it is the country wide tradition in the Philippines.

My wife told me we have to do the same on the 40th day then a year later, another 9 days of fiesta, but this time is not as extravagant, maybe they will go home at 3am instead all night. Thank God. 

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 08:07:15 PM »
The tradition of gambling is done to help offset the funeral cost. A portion of all winnings goes to the family at least at the several I've been exposed to.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 08:11:43 PM »
How about poker?  Is poker one of the things played?

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »
How about poker?  Is poker one of the things played?

Tongit is as close as I have seen to poker

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 08:35:22 PM »
Tongit is as close as I have seen to poker

I will have to look that up.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 08:44:07 PM »
I will have to look that up.

Spades I guess would be the closest comparison since your playing suites.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 08:11:49 AM »
Spades I guess would be the closest comparison since your playing suites.

Alright.  About 2am until breakfast time, non-stop Spades was it almost every night after completion of flight ops and maintenance when afloat.  If I go to one of these funerals like described, I will see if I can get a game going.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 09:53:48 AM »
I used to attend these Funeral Festivals good name for it, but every time I and my wife attend it's a grab for the wallet it's all about money, showing off, getting drunk and gambling, money for food, cigarettes, and alcohol so I'm completely done with this Philippine ritual, I won't even look at one of these events as I pass on my bike the users always beg for me to attend. 

In-laws, citizens are vampires for these events it's an opportunity for food and drinks, they never pay.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 09:48:22 PM »
When my father in law passed in August of 2014 the family held a wake for 9 days, 24 hours a day. Virtually every family member came by the house and stayed for a day or two, some stayed for the whole event. My brother in law runs a sari-sari in the front courtyard area and he was open 24 hours a day. He had to order double his normal amount of beer and liquor to accommodate the family and friends who came to celebrate the life of my father in law. There were several different games being played. Mahjong, bingo and sungka, all for minor money with a "cut" of the pot going to the family to offset the expenses of food and drinks. The priest came by daily to offer prayers, get fed and receive an offering. The day of the funeral it seemed as though the entire barangay came out. There was a long motor procession to the memorial park with local police and constabulary blocking off intersections until the motorcade had passed. Several hundred people came to the cemetery for the graveside services, then back to the house for more food and drink. On day 40 another large celebration of life was held with many family members and friends coming by the house for a visit. And of course on the anniversary of his passing they visit the cemetery and again on All Souls/All Saints days celebrations.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog