Living in The Philippines > Philippine Culture, Filipino Family Relationships

Tunnel vision or following bosses orders to the T

(1/4) > >>

Lee2:
Dawg's recent post about medication reminded me to post about this topic, hope I did not post about it before.  :-[

Anyway I do not post about this to complain, I am posting about it to make others aware that from my personal experience, most locals do not know how to think outside the box and medication is usually one item we need to look up and write down all names of drugs that will fit within our needs, very often you will ask for something and they will reply they do not have what you asked for, such as asking for 40 mg pills and they have 20 mg pills in stock as Dawg wrote, instead here in the U.S. they will likely tell you they have 20 mg in stock so you can buy double, so be prepared to ask more questions when you need something.

Two of my favorite times to mention was when Burger King opened in Ayala Cebu, my wife ordered a Whooper meal for me and they said their French fry machine was not working, so I looked and saw that a Whooper and soda cost more than a meal, so I asked them to ring up a meal and just keep the FF, that was a useless thing for me to do, there was no reasoning with even the manager, it was to be a la carte or not at all, so we walked out on principal, they lost a sale and we had to go eat at one of the many other restaurants in the mall, who lost out, not us.

The other time that sticks out in my mind was in a restaurant, I asked about something that was on the menu, they described if for me so I ordered it, only to be told "out of stock sir" so I picked another item only to be told "out of stock sir" so then I asked what was in stock and they only had a few things out of the 20 or so on the menu, nowadays I know to ask what is in stock before wasting my time looking at items on the menus.

I have found that the Philippines is not like back home in many ways, learn those ways instead of getting upset when it happens and life will be much better and easier for you.

JoeLP:

--- Quote from: Lee2 on July 31, 2018, 11:01:02 PM ---Dawg's recent post about medication reminded me to post about this topic, hope I did not post about it before.  :-[

Anyway I do not post about this to complain, I am posting about it to make others aware that from my personal experience, most locals do not know how to think outside the box and medication is usually one item we need to look up and write down all names of drugs that will fit within our needs, very often you will ask for something and they will reply they do not have what you asked for, such as asking for 40 mg pills and they have 20 mg pills in stock as Dawg wrote, instead here in the U.S. they will likely tell you they have 20 mg in stock so you can buy double, so be prepared to ask more questions when you need something.

Two of my favorite times to mention was when Burger King opened in Ayala Cebu, my wife ordered a Whooper meal for me and they said their French fry machine was not working, so I looked and saw that a Whooper and soda cost more than a meal, so I asked them to ring up a meal and just keep the FF, that was a useless thing for me to do, there was no reasoning with even the manager, it was to be a la carte or not at all, so we walked out on principal, they lost a sale and we had to go eat at one of the many other restaurants in the mall, who lost out, not us.

The other time that sticks out in my mind was in a restaurant, I asked about something that was on the menu, they described if for me so I ordered it, only to be told "out of stock sir" so I picked another item only to be told "out of stock sir" so then I asked what was in stock and they only had a few things out of the 20 or so on the menu, nowadays I know to ask what is in stock before wasting my time looking at items on the menus.

I have found that the Philippines is not like back home in many ways, learn those ways instead of getting upset when it happens and life will be much better and easier for you.

--- End quote ---
Happens a lot here.  This is how i learned to follow the manager.  We have two Jollibee restos.  2 Inisals, and multiple other fast foods with 2 locations.  You can pick any day of the week, doesn't matter, and i bet if you go to the Jolibee in the public market they will be out of something most likely.  Even if there is a delivery that arrived that morning.  The management is just that bad.  Go to the one in the mall(different owner/management) and there's a very good chance that they'll have most to everything in stock.  Same with most the other places.  It's another shake my head moment living in the Philippines. 
And sometimes it's not a matter if they have it or not, but more a question of the quality of what you order.  Is the pizza cold?  The burger missing condiments? I always look to the manager before anything else first. 

medic3500:

--- Quote from: JoeLP on August 01, 2018, 01:34:32 AM ---Happens a lot here.  This is how i learned to follow the manager.  We have two Jollibee restos.  2 Inisals, and multiple other fast foods with 2 locations.  You can pick any day of the week, doesn't matter, and i bet if you go to the Jolibee in the public market they will be out of something most likely.  Even if there is a delivery that arrived that morning.  The management is just that bad.  Go to the one in the mall(different owner/management) and there's a very good chance that they'll have most to everything in stock.  Same with most the other places.  It's another shake my head moment living in the Philippines. 
And sometimes it's not a matter if they have it or not, but more a question of the quality of what you order.  Is the pizza cold?  The burger missing condiments? I always look to the manager before anything else first.

--- End quote ---

This just made me laugh. I went into Burger King in the mall near our house a couple days ago, place was almost empty which was unusual, just to be told out of hamburgers, only chicken and fries.

Dawg:
With the meds it's important to spell it out. With the other stuff it can be humorous. A friend taught me to ask, "do you know what that is" when they say out of stock. Half the time the are just not aware of the product you named. For instance:

Do you have Velcro?
No sair...out of stock.
Do you know what Velcro is?
No sair.
<describe velcro>
Oh!!! You want magic tape! And the proceed to sjow me an entire wall with velcro!

lost_in_samoa:

--- Quote from: Dawg on August 03, 2018, 08:06:01 AM ---Oh!!! You want magic tape! And the proceed to sjow me an entire wall with velcro!
--- End quote ---

I hear you.  Been there done that.   It gets worse the longer your here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version