Author Topic: Securing a loan to girlfriend  (Read 1542 times)

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Securing a loan to girlfriend
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 11:37:31 PM »
Iíve been with her for 3 years and she has always been great on the money side (very frugal and in many cases refused money Iíve offered, so the length of relationship and character of the girl is not my concern - which is why I didnít answer). My concern is simply that even if she was Joan of Arc how do I protect my investment.

There are some really great ladies from the Philippines.  With any luck you have one of them.  Many of us have great ladies but sometimes forget that there are other ones that are also great.  It is such a common issue where young pretty girl gets money from older guy and then....   

You really can not protect your investment the same as you could for say,  in America where I am from.  It does sound like you have some idea already about how it goes already.  Perhaps you can look into how to make your share smaller by either helping to negotiate better terms with the seller or simply taking a smaller share.  Anything to lower the amount to where it is less to loose.  We ended up with about 50% discount from asking price of a house.  Asking price and selling price can be very different.

If the deal goes sideways later and by any chance your lady is the opponent,  just walk away.  I mean physically get out of the area,  you could still try legal recourse but look to your own safety in case it goes like that.

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 03:54:10 AM »
Iíve been with her for 3 years and she has always been great on the money side (very frugal and in many cases refused money Iíve offered, so the length of relationship and character of the girl is not my concern - which is why I didnít answer). My concern is simply that even if she was Joan of Arc how do I protect my investment.

It was never my intention to insult or make you feel uncomfortable. I've been associated with Living in the Philippines groups for over 15 years and have read too many heart rending stories about guys loosing everything, including their life, over a pretty face.

Now that we've established that you have a serious relationship with what seems to be a good woman, the problem still remains. How do you secure the loan? Probably the best suggestion would be to find a good attorney, one that you can establish a business relationship with to help you through the pitfalls of money lending. I would never trust any real estate agent. Sad stories abound about those sharks. Bottom line is can you trust her? Seems as though you feel you can. Just realize that you could very easily lose your money regardless of how good she is. Filipinos prey on Filipinos as much as anyone. She could be taken for a ride and lose it all.
Negative, I know, but it's the ugly truth. Good luck
Louisville, KY USA

Offline jj17

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 02:21:20 PM »
Yeah, agree next step is finding a decent lawyer.
Anyone on here recommend one in the Laguna area ?

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 06:00:44 AM »
Yeah, agree next step is finding a decent lawyer.
Anyone on here recommend one in the Laguna area ?

if you do it for love, and can afford to lose it. go ahead. maybe it's better than renting.  if it's an investment, it is a bad one.  no lawyers can protect you from bad investments.  i wouldn't incur extra expenses on lawyers.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog