Author Topic: Price Labels  (Read 323 times)

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Price Labels
« on: February 15, 2019, 09:51:15 AM »
Folks.

A few days ago I was in a local hardware store, looking at torches. The 2 rechargeable torches I selected had prices printed, on a stick-on barcode label, of Pesos 94.75, each. There were a number of other similar torches, with the same pricing, on the shelf.

On reaching the checkout, the barcode reader brought up an indicated price of Pesos 124.75, each.

When I queried the price difference, the checkout assistant said the bar code was the "new" price and the price printed on the label was the "old" price. If I wanted the items I had to pay the "new" price. The higher price was subsequently confirmed by a supervisor.
I declined to pay the higher price and left the store.

Thinking afterwards, I decided to check with the Phil DTI as to the legal obligation of shop, in such an instance.

I contacted the DTI < ASK <ask@dti.gov.ph>  >on Saturday and received a reply on Sunday.

Quote from their reply
" ....
Regarding your concern, a price tag should:
Be clearly written;
State the price of the commodity per unit (piece, package, pair, dozen, set, kilogram, meter, liter, etc.) in pesos and centavos, Philippine currency, except when a law or regulation allows consumer products to be sold in foreign currency as in the case of duty free shops; and
Bear no erasures or alterations of any sort.
Erasures or alterations are not allowed. It is allowed only in price reduction sales promotion campaigns.

However, this may warrant a complaint for possible violation of your consumer rights. As such, your concern will be referred to the DTI-Fair Trade Enforcement Bureau (FTEB) for further evaluation. FTEB oversees the overall implementation of trade and consumer protection laws. ....... "

Unquote.

RA 7394 Article 81 - I found out later covers this - with Article 95 para b) detailing the penalties. Worst case for first offence is P 5,000 fine and 6 months jail time!

The reporting file pdf they require to start a complaint requires detailed info on the label, receipts showing price paid, the complainant's BIR tax number and govt. ID copies, along with commercial details of the offender. All notarised in duplicate!

I don't know what it's like in the States, but in the UK last time I checked, you could "whistleblow" something like this to the local council consumer department (by personal visit or phone call and remain anonymous to the shop) and they would sent someone round to check and do a try buy to confirm.
Normally the (UK) shop checkout would check with their supervisor and then charge the label price, as they know the pricing regulations.

The system here seems quite time consuming (and expensive with the attorney's fees) for "Juan or Juanita" in the street to carry out.
Consumers' rights and shop keepers' responsibilities are almost unknown here, I think.

Taking my wife's advice I'm not going on with a report, as this is a very small town and obviously I don't want to stick my head out of the sangar and be a target for a pissed off store owner!  :'( :'( :'(
But armed with the knowledge, if it happens again, I'll ask nicely to see the supervisor and pass them a piece of paper with the RA details on it.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 10:15:21 AM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Price Labels
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 06:19:52 PM »
probably you can go back and get those things @ tag prices.  worth it?

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 08:54:10 PM »
Why bother?  It will cost you more than .30 p in petrol, diesel, tri-cycle fare.  There are more important things in life to get stressed over.
Londoner at heart

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 07:25:25 AM »
In the US it's a state by state issue.  In Michigan, when I was in college, there was a law passed that demanded every item needed a price tag on it and it MUST be acknowledged.  The law didn't last long due to the fact that so many items looked like crap due to having many tags on them.  Every time an item went on sale/promo the new, lower priced was tagged on the item in some form, usually over the regular price tag.  Then when it went off sale/promo it would have it's regular price tagged back on it and so on and so forth.  Then many stores were getting bit by the regular price not getting tagged back on all the items after a sale/promo so people still were getting the sale/promo rate out of the time frame of the sale/promo. 
It went back to sale prices being just posted on the shelf near the item with the regular price tags staying on the items.  But I remember as a poor college student always looking for the sale promo tags that were not marked over or tagged over and then demanding the stores acknowledge those prices.  Saved me some money on my food items more than anything.
But to this day, the regular price tags MUST be honored.  So if some newbie worker had the price gun setup wrong and something that should have cost $10.00 was marked at $1.000 I could by the item for $1.  So in Michigan, as was the setup when I left there in 2013, that was what the laws/rules were.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog