Author Topic: Never again  (Read 925 times)

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Never again
« on: March 05, 2019, 11:31:27 PM »
Last time we flew to Manila from LHR in Jan 2018 it was hell. We flew Singapore Airlines, who previously (2011) had been excellent. Wow, they were truly awful. Not only were the economy seats very cramped, but the service was awful and we got ripped off badly when we had to return a few days early due to the death of a good friend. Made a couple of decisions after that trip 1) I'm not flying economy again. 2) I'm not flying Singapore Airlines again. Anyway...

Now looking for other options and I'm open to ideas and suggestions. What travel hacks do you use to get Premium Economy or Business class flights from LHR to MNL at reduced rates? Obviously, it would be nice to avoid paying full whack if possible!

Do you try hacks like taking a short haul out of LHR to reduce taxes and then take Premium/Business long haul to MNL? Do you bite the bullet and go Philippine Airlines directly? Anyone here flown PA direct to Manila from LHR? :o

All suggestions and ideas welcome!   

Offline sussexrob

Re: Never again
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:49:26 PM »
My wife and I have been to Manila and back 4 times with Philippines Airlines and never had any problems.  Always fly economy , sometimes on the way back to Heathrow, been a few spare seats and managed to sleep by using 3 or 4 in the central row.  Only time I can ever sleep myself.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:35:44 AM »
My wife and I have been to Manila and back 4 times with Philippines Airlines and never had any problems.  Always fly economy , sometimes on the way back to Heathrow, been a few spare seats and managed to sleep by using 3 or 4 in the central row.  Only time I can ever sleep myself.

Thanks Rob. Very interesting. Had been planning to go via PA on the previous trip but could not book two seats together - and this was at least four months before we were flying! Just curious - what months did you travel in? We flew out towards the end of January which is admittedly peak(ish) season. Perhaps PA now have more planes running the route. Good to know they are decent to fly with though.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:53:56 AM »
We (Family and I) have made a number of trips between US and PH.  After allot of trial and error..

We try to pick Asiana or Eva air (due to price and decent quality).  I like Asiana better,  but usually a few dollars more than Eva.  Always fly in the cheep seats.  Just not wealthy enough that a few thousand dollars doesn't matter...

We try NOT to pick any US based airline such as Delta,  always terrible service even if the price is ok.  Also bad experience with China Air.  Tried many others and have ended up being the most happy with Asiana or Eva.   With Asiana I never feel like I am in economy,  but I never tried the first class from them so maybe it is so good that I would notice after.  In the past spent years flying first class and business class within the US (every week).

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline Colin

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living in Puerto Princesa, Palawan
    • The Philippine Journal
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 05:45:29 PM »
Last time we flew to Manila from LHR in Jan 2018 it was hell. We flew Singapore Airlines, who previously (2011) had been excellent. Wow, they were truly awful. Not only were the economy seats very cramped, but the service was awful and we got ripped off badly when we had to return a few days early due to the death of a good friend. Made a couple of decisions after that trip 1) I'm not flying economy again. 2) I'm not flying Singapore Airlines again. Anyway...

Now looking for other options and I'm open to ideas and suggestions. What travel hacks do you use to get Premium Economy or Business class flights from LHR to MNL at reduced rates? Obviously, it would be nice to avoid paying full whack if possible!

Do you try hacks like taking a short haul out of LHR to reduce taxes and then take Premium/Business long haul to MNL? Do you bite the bullet and go Philippine Airlines directly? Anyone here flown PA direct to Manila from LHR? :o

We usually use Philippine Airlines nonstop from LHR, which has been ok, but last time we decided to try a cheaper alternative. We chose Thai Airways which was ok on the way out but the late arrival of the plane at Manila caused us to miss the connection at Bankok and gave a 10 hour delay. The total travelling time from Palawan including airport waiting  time and not being able sleep on planes was shattering. Never again. I would also like to afford business class.
Colin
Puerto Princesa, Palawan & London, UK

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 07:43:10 PM »
We (Family and I) have made a number of trips between US and PH.  After allot of trial and error..

We try to pick Asiana or Eva air (due to price and decent quality).  I like Asiana better,  but usually a few dollars more than Eva.  Always fly in the cheep seats.  Just not wealthy enough that a few thousand dollars doesn't matter...

We try NOT to pick any US based airline such as Delta,  always terrible service even if the price is ok.  Also bad experience with China Air.  Tried many others and have ended up being the most happy with Asiana or Eva.   With Asiana I never feel like I am in economy,  but I never tried the first class from them so maybe it is so good that I would notice after.  In the past spent years flying first class and business class within the US (every week).

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, Business Class is eye-wateringly expensive - I would be most likely using points or other cunning techniques to try and wangle a decent seat without too much extra cost. One idea that has been suggested is Premium Economy and try and nab the seats closest to the exits - these have more leg room.

The alternative carriers are quite interesting - Etihad, Emirates and Qatar are options I'm considering. Flew Emirates to Dubai (economy) and the leg room was great.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 07:47:02 PM »
We usually use Philippine Airlines nonstop from LHR, which has been ok, but last time we decided to try a cheaper alternative. We chose Thai Airways which was ok on the way out but the late arrival of the plane at Manila caused us to miss the connection at Bankok and gave a 10 hour delay. The total travelling time from Palawan including airport waiting  time and not being able sleep on planes was shattering. Never again. I would also like to afford business class.

Yeah there is definitely a convenience to a non-stop flight, which is why I tried to book PA in the past, but you always pay more for a direct flight sadly. I don't have any points with PA so I will look into what I can transfer to get an upgrade.

Yes, agree, you can save money but then the other shoe falls and you end up in The Never Ending Story flight from hell!  :o

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 01:19:21 AM »
I fly coach in most cases since retiring.  I find that most US companies are horrible for service.  I avoid them as much as possible.  Use to love them when flying business or first, but coach just sucks with them.  For coach, I've fallen in love with Japanese airlines.  This last trip I took China Air to Tawain and Tigerair back to Cebu.  China Air I was impressed with.  From the quality of the plane to the service.  Tigerair had good service, but the plan looked very much like a older version of the exact same plane I took with China Air.  Talking colors and all.  Just the seats looked more worn and aged as did the other things in the plane.  Tigerair is an Aussie company. 

I try and stick to Japanese Companies when going from the Phils to the USA or back.  Always impressed with just about everything about them. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Turo

• That would be a YP not an MP.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 01:22:17 AM »
JoelP, we are ad idem on the Japanese carriers in coach. The service is outstanding and excellent prices can be had on well maintained equipment.
"You are only immortal for a limited time..."

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 12:01:15 PM »

My daughter and son-in-law used Emirates last year. EK 306 Newcastle to Dubai, EK 338 Dubai to Clark.They booked 5 months in advance, paid just over GPB 1,000 for both, round trip including taxes etc., etc. and had 30 kgs baggage allowance each.

They were well pleased with the food, the seats and the legroom (he's 6'2") in economy.

Flight EK 338, DXB - CRK, was via Cebu/Mactan with about 30 minutes on the ground there. It was a "round trip" sort of flight. DBX - Cebu - CRK - DBX.

All the flights were on time, with only 3 hours between flights in Dubai coming this way and about 6 hours going back.

They are seasoned air travellers and gave Emirates top marks on this route. They plan to fly Emirates to CRK again next year.

Hope this helps.

Peter

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:12:26 PM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Colin

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living in Puerto Princesa, Palawan
    • The Philippine Journal
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 04:11:03 PM »
When we moved to the Philippines from the UK many years ago, we made a 3 day stopover in Dubai. This gave around a maximum flight time of 8 hours. Thinking of trying that again.
Colin
Puerto Princesa, Palawan & London, UK

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 06:30:50 PM »
Now that we are older, we choose a route with shortest travel time and in most cases we fly PAL. We pay for economy tickets and pay extra for seats we want (exit rows have more leg room).  As far as I know JAL does not have seats for sale but you can call and ask for these seats in advance.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 06:46:29 PM »
I've used ANA (All Nippon Air) last couple times I flew. Price was good service was excellent connection was in Japan was only a couple hours.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 12:18:28 AM »
I've used ANA (All Nippon Air) last couple times I flew. Price was good service was excellent connection was in Japan was only a couple hours.
ANA is my favorite Japanese airline.  I've never had a single issue with them about anything. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Turo

• That would be a YP not an MP.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 02:54:59 AM »
Now that we are older, we choose a route with shortest travel time and in most cases we fly PAL. We pay for economy tickets and pay extra for seats we want (exit rows have more leg room).  As far as I know JAL does not have seats for sale but you can call and ask for these seats in advance.

Piozam, you are correct. JAL has followed the example of US carriers and usually charges higher fare to select a seat while it is included with ANA. That is sad since from a service standpoint JAL is as good as ANA if not a hair better. Recently, however, ANA's flight schedules to/from the US have become far more attractive than JAL's plus 46 kg of baggage plus carryon is included. Additionally NOT arriving in terminal one at NAIA is a huge plus for me.
"You are only immortal for a limited time..."

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog