Author Topic: GroundShaker  (Read 530 times)

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
GroundShaker
« on: April 24, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »
All our members okay...over there?
MS

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
Re: GroundShaker
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 10:15:10 AM »
OK in Bacolod.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 12:44:07 PM »
OK in Catarman.
Steve, was there a quake near you?  I only know of the two that struck yesterday.  The one up on Luzon and the one over here on Samar.  Did Negros get hit also?
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 04:05:37 PM »
Bit hairy for a couple of minutes here on the Bataan/Pampanga border on Monday evening.
See < https://tinyurl.com/y2gay7nm  > Our location is on the border, east of Dinalupihan, inside the yellow circle on the left hand map.

Our house (2 storey extension on the back) swayed from side to side for about 30 or 40 seconds. Seemed like a lot longer, though. No damage apart from a 3 light shade fitting above the stairs, which had one shade broken and some glassware fell off the pantry/storeroom shelves. I don't count the sliding bolt on the front screen door I ripped off trying to get out. LOL!

One of Gloria's brothers-in-law oversaw the foundations of the back extension when it was built and must have done it properly. No structural damage as far as we could see. The local surveyor lives nearby and was around to confirm any damage. Luckily none for us.  :) :) :) I was worried about the 1500 litre water tank on the roof coming adrift, but as the house as a whole swayed and didn't vibrate/shake, it stayed where it was. Thank goodness.

No fatalities or major damage in our Barangay, but 2 workmen working on a house in nearby Dinalupihan, fell off the scaffolding and didn't survive their injuries. A couple of garden walls toppled over in our Purok and the concrete of the support pillars of Pampanga/Bataan boundary archway (that one of the Governors' Pineda built years ago) over the National Highway, came away leaving only rebar supporting the arch. The highway was blocked for a couple of hours until it was cleared. Talk of sub-standard concrete mixes are abounding.

As soon as the earthquake was felt, we lost power until just after 1 o'clock Tuesday lunch time. It was pretty dreadful trying to sleep with the windows and doors wide open when there is no breeze, but a rechargeable fan helped.

We all came out of it with a heightened sense of life. I have experienced much greater movement piloting small boats in the North Sea during winter storms, but, big BUT, there is not a couple of tons of concrete just waiting to crash down on you from a great height that you can't outrun or steer away from.

Porac just up the road suffered greatly, so my thoughts and prayers go out to those who have been affected there.

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 04:27:47 PM »
OK in Catarman.
Steve, was there a quake near you?  I only know of the two that struck yesterday.  The one up on Luzon and the one over here on Samar.  Did Negros get hit also?
We got minor shaking possibly from Samar. Lasted about 15-20 seconds.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog