Author Topic: Jury duty back in the states  (Read 371 times)

Offline clarkee

• Retired Air Reserve Technician
Jury duty back in the states
« on: May 01, 2019, 09:56:33 AM »
Hi!  Not sure where to post this so I'll post it here. Was watching a you tube video on an American living in the Philippines.  He had mentioned jury duty. How does this work if you are living in the Philippines and you get summoned to jury duty. Does this ever happen?  Just curious. This is one thing that I believe can happen if you keep a US address. It might also be because you have a state drivers license. Any feedback on this?

Offline MotorSarge

Re: Jury duty back in the states
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 01:57:19 AM »
This is only feedback from my state of residence and not a Yes or No answer.

Any citizen who is qualified to vote, has a valid State drivers license or who files a personal income tax return, may be summoned for service as a juror. In addition our State has also recently legislated automatic voter registration for first time driver's license applicants and for renewals. You have the option to OPT OUT if you wish during time of application or renewal.

You can request to be excused but I'm sure it will be determined by individual circumstances such as living out of country.
MS

Offline clarkee

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 01:41:56 AM »
Appreciate the feedback! Sounds like a reasonable answer but its a case by case decision by the judge and as I well know some judges like to enforce their power because they know they can. Just my 2 cents! Thanks for your reply.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 11:57:12 PM »
How does one get "summoned" to jury duty in the U.S. when living in the Philippines?  Do they track you down in the Phils and effect personal service of a jury notice?

Offline MotorSarge

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 06:42:49 AM »
My good brother..... did you read my reply to Clarkee?

Maybe not gonna track you down in PI .. but don't get stopped for speeding, or less of any other misdemeanor,  back in the good ol US and have a "Did Not Appear For Jury Duty Selection....."Warrant"......are you smelling it now.

Unless you have given up your Citizenship, Drivers License..etc.. you are part of the  winning lottery bro!
MS

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 09:10:46 AM »
I was here maybe 7 months when I got a email from my parents that mail was forwarded to them about jury service.  I got the number from my step-mom who spent 35 years as a probation officer to call about it.  I called that number(it was a Kent County court in GR, Michigan) and explained that I no longer lived in the USA and they could use my Social Security account as proof as I have officially changed my address to the Philippines.  They asked about the driver's license and simply said I saw no reason to cancel it as I might come back before it expires and need to drive.  That took care of it.  They dropped all inquiries and the problem never serviced again.

I was 36 at the time.  I laughed at it as I never got any jury duty letters, calls or anything in my life, then I move abroad and get one.  My step-mom was laughing about it also.  She's the one who told me what I needed to say to get it taken care of.  So that helped out on my side.

Can you show evidence that you were living full time in the Philippines and no longer a resident in the USA when the jury duty summons were issued?  Should take care of the problem...in theory.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 10:53:41 PM »
My good brother..... did you read my reply to Clarkee?

Maybe not gonna track you down in PI .. but don't get stopped for speeding, or less of any other misdemeanor,  back in the good ol US and have a "Did Not Appear For Jury Duty Selection....."Warrant"......are you smelling it now.

Unless you have given up your Citizenship, Drivers License..etc.. you are part of the  winning lottery bro!

Not sure I want to be your brother, given your attitude.

Yes, i did read.  As an attorney who has lived and worked in the US I do think think for a minute that anyone wouid be pursued for "Did Not Appear" if the only service upon said person was by ordinary mail to a no-longer-valid address for that person.  People move all the time, even 2 blocks, and mail to the old address does not reach them.  Do you think the courts and the machinery of the law has the time and inclination to go to warrant on every case that falls through the cracks by simple address change?  Across the U.S. there must be thousands of these things mailed out and go unanswered every year. 

More importantly, the courts do not simply issue a "summons" to potential jurors and prosecute you if there is no response.  Fatuous to suggest otherwise.  Here's a bit about how the system works:

https://www.uscourts.gov/services-forms/jury-service/learn-about-jury-service

Here's more:

https://www.wawd.uscourts.gov/jurors/qualification-form

And here's a site setting out some personal experiences...not one refers to landing in a world of pain due to lack of an onsequious response to a jury notice:

https://www.reddit.com/r/expats/comments/7dld9a/american_living_abroad_received_jury_duty_summons/

So you 'bout you, smelling it now?

Offline MotorSarge

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 01:28:01 AM »
Well first and foremost I apologize for my typing of exclamation and spacing.
Not good to due without meeting one first and having an understanding of each others feelings and interpretations. 
I have not read your links yet as I was expressing my own personal experience of Jury Duty notices.

Again sorry for my rudeness, disrespect or any belittling conveyed.

MS

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 06:50:27 AM »
Well MS, very fair-minded of you to respond as you have.  Takes a man to do that.  Perhaps my reaction was a tad on the intemperate side as well.  Best regards,
h

Offline MotorSarge

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 09:11:34 AM »
Understandable,

Thank you.
MS

Offline clarkee

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 06:32:17 AM »
Sir, I would think that you being an attorney could give us some generalized insight on the question that I asked at the beginning of this post.

Offline MotorSarge

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 06:06:05 AM »
Clarkee,

Hi, I'm not an attorney or LEO and a little timid to touch on this subject again as I replied rudely to Hestecrefter and hope that all have received and accepted my apology that I have posted to him. I think we are all here for the same good reasons and not my sarcasm or me trying to test knowledge.

I have received 2 Jury questioneers in my life, one in 1991 the other in 2012 and in response to the questions I was excused both times. 1st time under the Soldiers & Sailors act, 2nd time under a duly single government contractor position I held.

Only questioneers? I think a summons is different.... my mom paid a fine back in the 70s for failure to appear. Certain counties in the US are hurting for eligible Jurors.  In either case I would respond and communicate your situation. If you are actually in PI take a photo of stamped visa and rental contract, I'll bet upwards of 50%, 6 pack of Lumpias or San Miguels that you'll be excused. Folks actually do get issued warrants and or arrested for this trivial act. 
MS

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 12:37:05 AM »
Sir, I would think that you being an attorney could give us some generalized insight on the question that I asked at the beginning of this post.

Well, I can do that.

In most states now jury notices are sent out by an automated system tied to driver's licences, voter registration information on hand, and such.  Of course, this info is often out of date.  It is not at all an unusual situation for a jury notice not to be received by the addressee.  Courts recognize this simple fact of life and have little desire to track down and prosecute those who perhaps failed to ensure that all levels of government have been kept up to date as to their whereabouts. 

If you maintain a US address, then a course of prudence is to have someone there receive mail for you and deal with it.  Said person can either notify you or contact the court (there will certainly be information about how to contact) and explain that you are residing elsewhere.  That should be the end of it. 

Worst case scenario would be that you arrive back in the US at some point and find that a bench warrant has issued for your contumelious non response to a jury notice.  Then you would surrender yourself and explain what occurred.  Provided you were indeed able to show that you were indeed living elsewhere and received no notice, I would expect you to quickly be sent on your way with no penalty. 

You have raised a point worthy of consideration.  To those who leave the US to live elsewhere it is wise to consider such matters when planning a move, so no thought needs to be given to those matters later on, and no unintended consequences to worry about.

Offline MotorSarge

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 06:20:24 AM »
Mr. h,

Snowballs are better than the "The Abominable Snowman" is my train of thought on dealing with our local system.
Lumpias and beverages on us when we reach shore.

MS

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog