Author Topic: What form of money to bring?  (Read 10225 times)

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: What form of money to bring?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 04:42:46 AM »
What beter is to bring with you to the philippines now adays british pound, us dollars or euros?
How about visa electro cards?

I\'ve flown in from UK amd mainland europe with £ & Euros on different occasions...............both have been readily accepted at money changers

Because I travelled in several times in 2007/8 and used same money changer he told me he could give slightly higher rate for certain currency demoninations 50 Euro note got his best rate of exchange

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 08:39:43 AM »
What beter is to bring with you to the philippines now adays british pound, us dollars or euros?

I\'ve flown in from UK amd mainland europe with £ & Euros on different occasions...............both have been readily accepted at money changers

Because I travelled in several times in 2008 and used same money changer he told me he could give slightly higher rate for certain currency demoninations 50 Euro note got his best rate of exchange

If you intend to exchange dollars, bring only crisp, new $100 bills.  Older $100 bills may not be accepted, even by banks.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »

What currency are you already holding, if say it\'s euros bring the euros, no point changing to dollars then changing to euros, you will pay twice for exchanging. If you are holding all three then decide which currency you no longer want. If it does not matter, dollars should  give you the best rate at a changer. Most places that accept visa cards accept international Visa cards check the charges by visa for the exchange.

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 09:37:43 AM »

Because I travelled in several times in 2008 and used same money changer he told me he could give slightly higher rate for certain currency demoninations 50 Euro note got his best rate of exchange

If you intend to exchange dollars, bring only crisp, new $100 bills.  Older $100 bills may not be accepted, even by banks.

When we were visiting here we asked our local Bank, well in advance, to save us clean £50 notes.

Colin

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 11:08:21 AM »
You can also get a small exchange from your bank if you have a little time to kill before you leave...
Its always nice to have a fistfull of Pisos when you get off the plane.
Also remember to bring back about P5000 when you come home and stash it with your passport for the next trip.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 02:11:40 PM »
Gray Wolf wrote: If you intend to exchange dollars, bring only crisp, new $100 bills.  Older $100 bills may not be accepted, even by banks.

I agree and 50\'s will get the same exchange.

20/10/5/1 u.s. bills will get a hit on the exchange. One dollar bills, make for a good tip, (way above normal), I\'ve found. ;D
B-Ray

CUT.............................

Offline oy1jd

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 01:38:35 PM »
Hi thanks for the advice.
I have only danish as of now but still abit confused what currency to bring.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 07:51:43 AM »

Bring large Danish currency bills.  Do NOT bring traveler\'s checks.  They are very difficult to cash.  Also bring your credit cards/ATM cards, but be sure to advise your bank that you will be in the Philippines or they may freeze the cards when they see activity from another country. 

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »

Law,

You might be better off converting your Krones to Euros before you go. The Philippine money changers are used to dealing with the Euros. I don\'t know about changing Krones.

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »
Yes, aerosick has a good point.  I didn\'t think about that.  Euros for sure.   

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 01:30:46 PM »
Probably better to change Krones to dollars rather than Euros as you tend to get better rate here on the dollar (less spread)

How much money to bring initially?
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 05:14:07 AM »
Hi.

Can anyone tell me how much money to bring initially to the Philippines? Is it better to bring pesos than dollars?

Meg

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 05:18:41 AM »
Hi.

Can anyone tell me how much money to bring initially to the Philippines? Is it better to bring pesos than dollars?

Meg

Hello Meg,

Where are you coming from and how long will you be there?

Billy

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 12:18:47 AM »
Hi Billy:

I will be there between 6 to 8 months. I receive a pension every month and it will still go to my US bank. I plan to use my atm card to get more money when I arrive in the Philippines. My siblings tell me not to bring a lot of cash because it is not safe. I don\'t really know what is \"enough.\"

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:33 AM »
Hi Billy:

I will be there between 6 to 8 months. I receive a pension every month and it will still go to my US bank. I plan to use my atm card to get more money when I arrive in the Philippines. My siblings tell me not to bring a lot of cash because it is not safe. I don\'t really know what is \"enough.\"

Hello Meg,

Have you read this Board yet: Living Costs in different areas, cities, provinces

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html

You can pick & choose in the Posts as to what may apply to your living costs.

If I were you, I would take US$ 2,000.00 in new (large photo) 100 $ bills. $1,000.00 for access when the ATM\'s get stubborn or run out of money or for any large transactions (rent, etc) and the other $1,000.00 for any real emergencies that might happen.

Hope this helps,

Billy

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog