Author Topic: Bicycles  (Read 2528 times)

Bicycles
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »
Shortly after arriving, I bought two mountain bycicles figuring to make a side by side tandem at some point. Also a rust bucket 28\" wheeled to make a tric from a local junk dealer.

Now, after three years, I\'m about through building/remodling and need a hobby to keep my sences, what ever that means  ;D

Now, if I was near a fast moving river or even a creek, the mind could go wild with what could be built with bicycle parts. 12v wind generation too.
B-Ray

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Bicycles
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »
B-Ray,
I plan on going wild with 12v power generation... wind, water, sun.
My plan is to equip my house with 12v lights and a car stereo for times of brownout,
and all else fails i will be able to see and have tunes.
But this too will become my hobby and who knows, I may be able to generate enough to stay off the grid...

RUFUS
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:36:06 AM »
One thing I did years ago was to cut out the bottom bracket, (cranK), from a couple of bicycles frames and used them for hinges for a heavy metal gate giving bearings for the gate to ride on. I did change the bearing and cups after 4 years.

This was done by welding the bottom brackets to a 2\" pipe concreted in the ground, cut off the left side crank arm at the nut and welding the right side to the gate making for a very smooth operating gate.
B-Ray

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »
I always wanted to hook an alternator to a bike and have it charge up a car battery...
Since the playstation and xbox run off low voltage, I thought it would be a good way for kids to keep from being couch potato video game junkies...
The bike would have to be peddled for a certain amount of time to get in some game play and at least the kids would be forced to get a little excersize to get a VG fix... LOL

RUFUS
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:05:26 PM »
Something to play with for sure!!

With this idea you\'ll be playing with gear ratios since RPMs is involved with voltage. Voltage needed and leg work done is the factor.

Alternators can produce like 13.5 volts DC and your toys operate on much less, (3,6,9,12). Therefore, a step down, or a  batteries  tap, (old school), would be needed from the car/truck 12vdc battery for most toys and RPMs to keep the battery charged.

Back to bicycles, I was planning on using square tubing, (newly available for Dumaguete City), to connect the two bicycles making a tandem. Now I\'m thinking of  1 1/4\" - 1 1/2\" auto exhaust pipe for the job. I think it will look a lot better then something square?

The steering of a side x side tandem had me thinking for sure! Can\'t have two people going in two different directions  ;D. Until I prove it, I think I have that problem solved?

Taking the smallest gears from a multi-speed hub and welding to the fork of each, (under the lower bearing race), and using a bicycle drive chain wrapped around them both should do it? Therefore, one handle bar, (either side), can steer both front wheels.

Dang, if it ain\'t  hasn\'t take me forever to think outside of the box for the way automobiles operate, (steering two wheels),  to come up with this one!!! I had more come-trap-shuns sticking out in from of these bicycles then you could shake a stick at!! LMAO

Now that I think about it, a rear steer 3 wheel  bicycle might be in the making like a fork lift?  ;D
B-Ray     

I always wanted to hook an alternator to a bike and have it charge up a car battery...
Since the playstation and xbox run off low voltage, I thought it would be a good way for kids to keep from being couch potato video game junkies...
The bike would have to be peddled for a certain amount of time to get in some game play and at least the kids would be forced to get a little excersize to get a VG fix... LOL

RUFUS

Offline mupsuit

Re: Bicycles / Hobbies
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 04:40:05 PM »

Fascinating stuff - if you guys can ever add some photos to show the less well informed - that would be great

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:25:31 PM »
mupsuit,

the stuff i talk about is mostly in my head and will be a hobby once I\'m in the PI... but if i get the time, here or the PI, to get this stuff in practice i will surely post some picks 4ya...
when i finally do get my butt over there and get my workshop up and running, I\'m gonna definitely gonna have B-Ray out to play... lol

RUFUS
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog