Author Topic: Re: The Thread Was Getting to Us  (Read 8448 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: The Thread Was Getting to Us
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 11:23:11 PM »
This board is not run by the Philippines Tourist Association is it?
Ron,

Funny you should ask that.  Here\'s but one of many letters sent to Don Herrington for his work, through the website and discussion lists, to promote the Philippines:

ACCOLADES FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF TOURISM    

MR. DON HERINGTON
P.O. Box No. 1247
Cebu Main Post Office
Cebu City

Dear Mr. Herington:

Greetings from the Philippine Department of Tourism!
It was a pleasure meeting you in Cebu last June.
In behalf of the DOT family, I would like to extend our deepest appreciation for your noble efforts not only in promoting our country to the foreign retirees, but have also shown to the world that the Philippines is a great and safe destination for tourists and investors.
Your contribution through your very own way will go a long way in boosting the Philippine tourism.
We are all grateful to have a foreign resident like you here in our land, that not only making their stay useful and meaningful but learning to love our country too.

Thank you for all your support.

CYNTHIA L. CARRION
Sports Tourism Director &
Deputy Executive Director,
Travel Trade Sales and Promotion

Department of Tourism Building, T.M. Kalaw Street, Rizal Park, Manila, Philippines, P.O. Box 3451, Manila, Philippines
Tel. Nos.: 523-8411 to 20 • email: webmaster@tourism.gov.ph  • http://www.wowphilippines.com.ph
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
I made some out of fun reference with Jack on his ‘Yo’ but he got rubbed wrong I think too.  Sorry Jack. 

Big Bird,

Wala problema, pare!  And no, I didn\'t get rubbed wrong.  I thought I made that clear with my original response and smileys.  :) :)   I didn\'t want you, or anyone, to misunderstand me or to think that I was throwing my (considerable) weight around.    ::)    I\'m just another good ol\' boy from Kentucky, who also has plans to move permanently within the next 4 years, never to look back again on the bluegrass of my homeland.   :\'(   ;)   ;D ;D ;D

If you, or anyone, wants to call the Philippines the PI, PH, Phils, Wally World or whatever, be my guest.  As far as I\'m concerned we made our points and it\'s now time for all of us big boys to all climb down off our high horses, pick up our toys, smile and get back to the business of sharing what we know.  I think this old horse has been beaten enough to last us all for several weeks.  Let\'s all calm down and let the testosterone dry up a little.  We\'ve hosed down the decks with enough of it to inseminate the entire island chain for now.   :D :D :D

Y\'all have a nice day now!   ;D ;D ;D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 08:37:46 AM »
I have to agree with Jack here, some of the members here seem a little too PC at times. Not all of us live here, not all of us intend to and some members are just looking to visit. Last time I checked there were no grammar police on the forum and any writing style short of ...........and this is my opinion......... ;D will be accepted here.

Somethings used to get my goat, but I realised I can\'t place my standards on everyone else, judge not lest ye be judged. The term PI is not outlawed in the Forum Bylaws, so go for it, as someone once told me and I am fond of repeating to others especially stuck up employees, \"If you have a problem with me, its you that have the problem, its your problem and not mine, so deal with it and let me get on with my life\".

We have a spell checker on-board and our brains have trained us to associate abbreviations and acronyms with whole words and phrases, sometimes the brain needs retraining, if PI has a negative connotation to some, they should retrain their brains as well, to me PI means \"Philippines\" not Philippines Islands or anything else for that matter. Just as asawa or wife, bana or husband are interchangeable, PI, RP or Dat Place over Der all come to mean a place we would like to live for a while, be it a couple of years or the rest of our lives, what we call it has little meaning as long as others understand us. If we want it called something specific, put it in the forum rules, if its that important, if not, there are better things in life, like a cold beer for RUFUS and Ice cold Vodka for Jonny Ivy or a Whiskey for Uzi and the Rhum for Jack.

Nothing else matters, except the happiness of our wives, our families and ourselves.

No wucken furries mates.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 09:16:44 AM »
Hey all....

Help me out here, I\'m fairly new here and have only visited the \"Republic of the Philippines\" (not to step on anyones toes here) but guys and gals, this seems to be butt stupid what the heck is the difference is someone referrs to the islands as PI or RP.  Maybe I\'m naive or ignorant and I know of no ugly or derogatory reference to PI... I always thought it stood for the Philippine Islands.

Would someone with gonads please explain in public here what the negative connotation is by using the PI reference??? I would be willing to bet that 95% of those using it have no idea and I\'m sure I\'m not the only one here in this group that doesn\'t know...

So enlighten us all so we can make a personal decision....  sounds awful petty to me but there I go again showing my ignorance.  ???

Thanks for your help in me with this big problem...
..                                \ \ \ | / / /
..                                  ( @ @~)
Jeff & Ritz  -----o00o-(. .)-o00o-----

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 11:29:52 AM »
All,

Help me out here. There are replies here making statements about being pc & getting bent out of shape, over the use of PI, as though something was said that was WAY out of line. Can one of you point out where this was said, that justifies the level of response that it has received. Let\'s review:

WFOX11 mentioned PI
Jack replied with:

Yo, WFOX11, we prefer RP (Republika ng Pilipinas)  not PI.

Thanks friend!

Was that so wrong? We are after all guides & this was a friendly note to a new member. He took no offense at it given the reply:

OK, I\'ll remember that. Thank you for enlightening me.

It was then that BigBird decided to take issue with this simple exchange that should have ended then, with his:

Why so touchy on an acronym?  Is spelling going to be next?

What is slang to one might well be very normal to another.  Are we that PC out here?

To which Jack responded in a friendly manner and pointing out it was only a request & to carry on with PI if he wanted.  GregW offered a friendly explanation of why RP is preferred. BigBird then stepped it up to include other slangs of \'Hey Joe\' & Yo!\' Again this is just debate & dialog, you know, what we do here  ;D

Up to this point, it was just an exchange of views on the use of slang between BigBird & Jack and with the exception of GregW no one else was involved.

Subsequent posts seem to be inferring that the \'Moderators\' are operating some sort of political correct policy & overly policing the forum. I say, where are you getting this from  ??? It seems that each comment is feeding off the previous without any basis in fact. Flt Sim (Ron) jumped on this following his post where he used PI but no one had corrected him on its use.

So guys, I suggest you re-read the thread & use the quote function to refer us back to where all this \'sugar coating\' and \'thought police\' is being instigated. If, as I suspect, you will find that this comes under the heading of \'storm in a teacup\' and an overreaction, can we call this subject battered to death & move back to the threads subject  \'The Place Is Starting to Get to Me\'
8) ;D

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 11:33:26 AM »
imtheredrum wrote;
Would someone with gonads please explain in public here what the negative connotation is by using the PI reference???   

Wait a sec, let me check.   pause while checking.  OK, had to make sure but it looks like I have gonads.   :D ;) ;D

Quite simply, PI does mean Philippine Islands.  Many Pinoy that I know find this term offensive as that is what the Philippines was called during the American Occupation.  They prefer the name that they, themselves, have chosen for their own country, whick is Republika ng Pilipinas or RP. What if a British citizen came to the US and insisted on referring to it as \"the colonies\"?   :o  Would people in the States like that?   Frankly, knowing that RP is a respectful term that all Pinoy accept why would anyone then continue to use PI?   ???  I mean once someone knows the truth why then do they refuse to comply?   ???  Frankly it is a mystery for me since so little is asked.  Just refer to the country as the natives would like. 

1. 2. 3.  Simple as that.

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 11:53:55 AM »
So guys, I suggest you re-read the thread & use the quote function to refer us back to where all this \'sugar coating\' and \'thought police\' is being instigated. If, as I suspect, you will find that this comes under the heading of \'storm in a teacup\' and an overreaction, can we call this subject battered to death & move back to the threads subject  \'The Place Is Starting to Get to Me\' [/color] 8) ;D
[/quote]

Keith,
                   Thank You       Lets move back to the reason for this thread.

GregW,
                      United States, Yes        Colonies,  No        If not for any other reason than for the people who shed their blood to keep these United States free, those men and women came from all over america not just the eastern seaboard.   

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 12:38:39 PM »
I don\'t know if others ever have these feelings or if perhaps this is something unwelcome that just happens to me, but the pervasive futility of the country is finally, after five years, starting to get to me. The endless corruption at all levels, the paucity of education, the number of young children begging in the streets, the certainty that things will never be better here in my lifetime, all of it is starting to pile up, much as it once did for me after five years or so in Africa. I don\'t know if this perception that the country as a whole, is utterly hopeless engulfs others out there from time to time, but it\'s certainly starting to affect my life and it\'s obviously affected the way I few the country.

Poverty is on the increase. The greed of the politicians is rapacious, and the educational system is a joke. Though working in a development program, I know that things can and do get better in isolated instances, in restricted geographic areas, somehow this doesn\'t offer me the solace that it once did. Every week I speak to more and more Filipinos and Filipinas whose highest ambition in life is to get the hell out of here and get to a place that offers some opportunity. It\'s the only place I\'ve ever lived where more than 50% of the citizens indicate that they would leave for another country if only they could, and I just don\'t see things getting any better any time in the foreseeable future. None of this is new and none of this will come as shocking news to anyone who lives here. What\'s new for me is that it\'s all starting to get to me in ways that I never thought it would or could.

Anyone else out there get swept up from time to time in these feelings of utter hopelessness for the country? If so, what do you do about it?

Thanks for sharing.

This whole thread is off on a tangent.

The above post is/was the reason for this whole thread to begin with.

The writer of this post says the \"endless corruption at all levels, the paucity of education, the number of young children begging in the streets\" is starting to get to him and is \"certainly starting to affect my life and it\'s obviously affected the way I few the country\".

He states that \"Poverty is on the increase. The greed of the politicians is rapacious, and the educational system is a joke\" and that \"I speak to more and more Filipinos and Filipinas whose highest ambition in life is to get the hell out of here and get to a place that offers some opportunity\".

BTW ... I agree with him. Sure his statements are negative, but it\'s a fact of life over here. The thing is ... you need to actually live over here for awhile like some of us do before you really become aware of it all.

The one thing I would like to add that my wife talks about sometimes .... The Philippines is a great place to live [if] you have money ... but if your dirt poor like the majority, it certainly is no land of opportunity, and that\'s why the big exodus of people to greener pastures (ie: feeling of hopelessness)

Ron,

What can we do about it? .... nothing

Out of Stock Sir !

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 12:53:19 PM »
imtheredrum wrote;
Would someone with gonads please explain in public here what the negative connotation is by using the PI reference???   

Wait a sec, let me check.   pause while checking.  OK, had to make sure but it looks like I have gonads.   :D ;) ;D

Quite simply, PI does mean Philippine Islands.  Many Pinoy that I know find this term offensive as that is what the Philippines was called during the American Occupation.  They prefer the name that they, themselves, have chosen for their own country, whick is Republika ng Pilipinas or RP. What if a British citizen came to the US and insisted on referring to it as \"the colonies\"?   :o  Would people in the States like that?   Frankly, knowing that RP is a respectful term that all Pinoy accept why would anyone then continue to use PI?   ???  I mean once someone knows the truth why then do they refuse to comply?   ???  Frankly it is a mystery for me since so little is asked.  Just refer to the country as the natives would like. 
\\

1. 2. 3.  Simple as that.

Thanks Greg... makes sence now that I understand...

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 01:16:11 PM »
On a lighter note (and to really get off-topic)  ;D .... Anyone know what is the only country in the world other than the US that has the American flag on there currency?
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 02:38:43 AM »
It is on the  Philippine P100 note
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 04:15:45 AM »

Flt Simulation, Rufus, anyone,

Do you know why? Does this go back to the war?

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 06:24:36 AM »

Good answer Rufus... dummy me, I should have looked in my wallet...LOL

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 06:49:33 AM »
The bill is actually depicting the Us flag being lowered and the Philippine flag being raised on the Philippine Independence day
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 06:56:01 AM »
and for the answer to the next question...

July 4, 1946

http://www.bibingka.com/phg/misc/july4.htm
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS