Author Topic: Re: The Thread Was Getting to Us  (Read 8430 times)

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
Re: The Thread Was Getting to Us
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 06:56:27 AM »
The bill is actually depicting the Us flag being lowered and the Philippine flag being raised on the Philippine Independence day

Darn... now you gonna make me pull it out again and look.... LOL
 ;D... on second thought, I\'m sure your right... :)
..                                \ \ \ | / / /
..                                  ( @ @~)
Jeff & Ritz  -----o00o-(. .)-o00o-----

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 07:14:53 AM »
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline ricemannv

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 02:31:36 PM »
I\'ve lived in the Philippines for awhile.  I have never seen the term \"PI\" be offensive to a Filipino.  In fact I have heard them use the term many times.  For example I have been on airplanes returning to the Philippines and a Filipino seating next to asked, \"what will you do in PI, sir\".  I\'m not sure where you guys came up with that.  I haven\'t seen it.

Riceman

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 10:57:51 PM »
guess you dont know everything ,new person????? WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD , ;D LOVE STILLBILLY the name is REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 OFFICIAL NAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2008, 11:01:23 PM »
Im not slamming you,,, just because you never heard about it , how embarassing,,,,stillbilly  ;D dont worry I stumble every day  ;Dstillbilly

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2008, 11:12:49 PM »
feel free , dont be shy , their is know law saying you must refer to the RP as the RP :) :) ;D ::) FOLLOW OUR LEADERS.. Jack and the Uziman, ::) ;D deep down im proud of you all. stilllbilly

Offline ricemannv

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »
SillyBilly2002,

It will always be PI to me.  I have never had a problem with refering to it like that expect in this silly thread.  And you are wrong anyway,  the actual name is \"Republika Ng Pilipinas\".  Just so you know.

Riceman

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2008, 10:39:33 AM »
riceman wrote;
It will always be PI to me.   

Riceman, me ol\' chum   ;D, let\'s look at it another way.  Would you go to Myanmar and call it Burma?  Would you go to Zimbabwe and call it Rhodesia?  Thailand and call it Siam?  Vietnam and call it Indochina?  Serbia and call it Yugoslavia?  You get the idea. 

Times change and we need to change with them.

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2008, 10:53:20 AM »
My wife calls me a \'Kano\' sometimes ..... Is that ok  ???

I guess that\'s short for Amerikano  ;D

EDIT .... I just did a Google search. I was right:

Kano : (Philippines) an American, contraction of the Tagalog word \"Amerikano\"

From the list of Ethnic Slurs http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/list-of-ethnic-slurs/k.html

Out of Stock Sir !

Offline BigBird

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 07:50:41 PM »
Well I see we keep going.  And going.  And everyone is WRONG!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D (Smileys are for Jack)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D (Just for fun again Jack)   ;D ;D ;D ;D

The correct 2 letter country code is PH and that is that so says the bird!  So everyone change, and do it today.

http://www.immigration-usa.com/country_digraphs.html

At least we stay close to topic...........This place is starting to get to me!  But which place?      :) ;) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\\ :-* :\'(

Want to know how we refered to Korea?  It is also a learned term and it is not KP or KR or SK.  But it does have FU in part of it.

Did everyone watch at least some olympics?  They were just like yesterday and they used PHI..   They at least got two out of three on the side of PI.....

http://geography.about.com/od/countryinformation/a/olympiccodes.htm

Good morning everyone!

OMG....kano is a ethnic slur name?  Where is my bolo.......  How dare that country call us slur names.  Annie get your gun...... 

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2008, 07:51:22 PM »
We need to be careful that by setting a standard for a 2 letter acronym for the Philippines we might actually drive members away. Jack has said if they want to use PI instead of RP they may, yet others seem to want to correct anyone who upsets their apple cart on the use of PI or RP, honestly its not worth hassling members over it. If Marie or Maeara or any of our other Philippine Citizens said they were offended by it, it might be a different story, but if no-one objects except a few who don\'t live here to be politically correct in the use of 2 letters, I think I might revert as well. Is it in the rules not to use it (I can\'t see it there), so why make a mountain out of a mole hill over this issue. Don\'t give other members reason to think this is an inhospitable forum because some can\'t stand the use of PI instead of RP.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 09:08:47 PM »
We need to be careful that by setting a standard for a 2 letter acronym for the Philippines we might actually drive members away. Jack has said if they want to use PI instead of RP they may, yet others seem to want to correct anyone who upsets their apple cart on the use of PI or RP, honestly its not worth hassling members over it. If Marie or Maeara or any of our other Philippine Citizens said they were offended by it, it might be a different story, but if no-one objects except a few who don\'t live here to be politically correct in the use of 2 letters, I think I might revert as well. Is it in the rules not to use it (I can\'t see it there), so why make a mountain out of a mole hill over this issue. Don\'t give other members reason to think this is an inhospitable forum because some can\'t stand the use of PI instead of RP.

wow wow wee.... hit that nail on the head... this is a ridiculous thread and some here really do have a bug up their butts about it and it JUST DOESN\'T MATTER!
..                                \ \ \ | / / /
..                                  ( @ @~)
Jeff & Ritz  -----o00o-(. .)-o00o-----

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2008, 09:19:03 PM »

When I visited Manila in January 2006, a city councilor I knew excitedly informed me that his council had just voted to change the name of the Philippines. What? The country would no longer be named after a ruthless Spanish despot? We would finally be rid of this last vestige of colonialism? Hallelujah!

Breathlessly, I asked my friend, Councilor Cassie Sison, to tell me the name that the City Council of Manila had proposed.

“The Philippine Islands,” he replied.

[MORE]

"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2008, 09:26:08 PM »
amen!
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline BigBird

• Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 09:36:38 PM »
Well...... I went right to my trusted source again.

I asked the wife:  If you had to call your country by two letters what would it be?

First reply:  Philippines

I said no honey, only two letters.

Next reply:  Pinas

I again said no honey, only TWO letters.

She said “PL”.  \"I don’t know\".  Then followed with, \"I don’t know honey, I never before use just 2 letters\".

Now she only has 40 years in country so maybe not a good person to ask. 

I then said how about RP.  And she gave me a wierd look and said \'why dat letter honey?\"