Author Topic: Building a Banka  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Building a Banka
« on: August 29, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »
If anyone is interested in building a banka, a fellow I wrote about a few years back built a really nice one for his scuba diving buddies.  The banka is about 12 meters long and has an upturned bow to break the waves of the open sea.  To resist corrosion he had a stainless steel shaft and prop made.  The gunnel rails and other fittings are either stainless steel or chrome plated.
It has a 4 cylinder Toyota engine, if I remember correctly, and is definitely the fastest banka in Batangas. It\'s real handy for getting to the diving reefs fast. 

This is a very nice example of a foreigner\'s version of the traditional banka upgraded for scuba and the occasional fishing trip.  It\'s one I\'d like to have.

Louisville, KY USA

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
Re: Building a Banka
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 01:27:01 AM »
We have been talking about having a 25\' banka built to take advantage of the fishing season in the province. I have 2 brother in laws that are chomping at the bit to become fishermen and all it will take is a 35-45,000p investment from me...lol.  So far, I have them agreeing to take me out fishing and diving whenever I want to, and they will also work with one of the neighbor fishermen to get some experience.  If and when we do it, will drop some pictures here.

Thanks for your information on the boat.
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline mfreeman80

Re: Building a Banka
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:04:59 PM »
Can someone lead me to a good boat builder for a banka who can be trusted/  Thanks

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog