Author Topic: Building Materials  (Read 1847 times)

Building Materials
« on: August 30, 2008, 08:28:04 AM »
One would think, after 4 years dealing with building and remolding in this country, I would have a handle on the subject! NO WAY!!!!

Dealing with our 5th housing rental in the process of being remolding, (just bought), and I have learn there\'s MORE then 4 sizes of 2\" PVC pipe and fittings in this country, at least in my area. I bought fittings and 3 Leigh of PVC pipe called 1,000, (printed on the pipe), from one supplier and it turned out I was short a few fittings. Bought from another supplier fittings for 1,000, (printed), and NOTHING fits, toooooo small!† >:(

Well, my main Pinoy knows about these things and how to handle them, he is GRRREAT! A little fire going on and the small fits inside the bigger. No problem on a pressure system, but a drain system could bring about a CLOG, (buildup)! Oh well, it\'s the kitchen sink and I\'ll just have to live with it..............since the 1st supplier doesn\'t carry the product anymore with no more fittings! GRRRRR

Be ware you \"do-it yourselfers\", there\'s many ILLS involved, but NOT and I mean NOT as many as using a contractor from my POV!

What goes on in this country is, NO LOCALS does anything about such going ons! They just deal with it, giving the suppliers to do whatever and you will like it!† >:(

Don\'t get me wrong folks, I\'ll will still and my wife is looking for more properties in the area, (better Legal Aid then any attorneys office), to see WHAT\'S NEXT, next year. We have managed one project a year since 2004.

It looks doubtful, (in my thinking, wife agrees), that I will NEVER learn how to retire? ;D The word is out among the Pinoys, sell right and B-Ray will own the WHOLE subdivision! Fat chance LMAO† But some, (few), are PISSED because we have more then them, apparently, (actions/reactions over time)?
B-Ray

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Building Materials
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:35:53 AM »
Supply lines in my house are 3/4\" schedule 40 GI pipe. I only used PVC for drain pipe. The only exposed drain pipe are the downspouts from the roof. We first sandpapered the surface to roughen it. Then primed with flat paint and then enamel paint on top of that. I used 3\" Atlanta PVC (orange color). They sell blue PVC pipe for water supply. PVC would be easier to work with but I don\'t know how well it holds up. Sch 40 GI pipe is stronger than PVC so I would recommend that.

What\'s the color of the PVC you bought?

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Re: Building Materials
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »
I\'ve found major problems in this Country with rust in GI pipe and valves and in remolding have removed or by-passed the GI water pipe because of rust in favor of PVC pipping. Water delivered to the house is untreated ground water with many metals and other stuff and plays havic with other hard metals. Also, I only use brass full opening ball valves, not needle valves, (know to plug), or gate valves, (known to leak). Just a quark of mine since being here.† ;D

The 1st trouble spots I\'ve found are the small shutoff valves for the kitchen sink, the CR hand bowl and towlet and the in the block wall shower control. Then finding good threads on new GI pipe, were a yard or so of teflon tapes, (over kill I know), is needed to keep from leaking.† >:(
B-Ray† †  

Supply lines in my house are 3/4\" schedule 40 GI pipe. I only used PVC for drain pipe. The only exposed drain pipe are the downspouts from the roof. We first sandpapered the surface to roughen it. Then primed with flat paint and then enamel paint on top of that. I used 3\" Atlanta PVC (orange color). They sell blue PVC pipe for water supply. PVC would be easier to work with but I don\'t know how well it holds up. Sch 40 GI pipe is stronger than PVC so I would recommend that.

What\'s the color of the PVC you bought?

Billy

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog