Author Topic: RCCB/GFCI  (Read 1602 times)

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
RCCB/GFCI
« on: December 26, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
I have yet another question for the Electrical minded in the PI.

I heard from a friend here in the Netherlands that a close friend of his was fried by a problem with some electrical items in the PI, and he wants to know if anyone has had any experiences with the installation of residual current circuit breakers (RCCB), or ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI).  Basically I think he was wanting information on quality brands. I\'m trying to get them to sign up for LINP access, so hopefully I can add some more board members.

He lives in Cebu, so purchasing materials should be easy, at least thats my thought.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Thank you and I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: RCCB/GFCI
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 01:00:06 AM »
I have not heard of RCCB, it must be a UK term.
In the USA the GFCI is very common and I\'m guessing that it serves the same purpose as a RCCB.
Since the last letter in RCCB refers to breakers then I will guess we are talking about breakers.
As far as brands go, your electric panel manufacturer should produce its own version and more than likely most other brands will not fit in that panel.
Now I\'m sure there will be some generic knockoffs that come from China that would fit you panel, and those would be the ones to avoid.

Now if you are talking GFCI receptacles, here in the USA, receptacles made by Leviton and Cooper are both very good.
I am not sure if those brands are available in the Philippines or not.
I would go to Ace hardware or an electrical supply company and see what is available...

RUFUS...your friendly neighborhood electrical dept Lowe\'s associate  ;D
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
Re: RCCB/GFCI
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:17:18 AM »
Thanks Rufus.  I\'m from the US, just working here in the Netherlands. I figured out the RCCB was the equivalent to a GFCI in the US, but haven\'t heard of many people using them in the PI.  Heaven knows its almost impossible to get your system grounded in the PI, let alone get a GFCI installed.  Once we build our new house (renovations are complete on the old house in the PI), I\'m going to have the GFCIs installed in the bathrooms and in the Kitchen.  We have waterproof outlets in the bathrooms and outside the old house right now, but that won\'t help with the issue my friend\'s friend had in the PI.

Can\'t wait to get back to Lowes and Home Depot for some well earned shopping... ;D

Have a good one.

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog