Author Topic: pls advise  (Read 3284 times)

Offline gudluck

pls advise
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:27:12 PM »
dear friends,

if i want to buy a motorclcye for tricycle, what branch and model is the best? thanks

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
  • This account is now being used by his widow
Re: pls advise
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 07:33:29 PM »
my friend you opened a can of worms with this one  :D.. ipersonally cannot suggest a brand, but i strongly suggest that you get no less than 125cc, or better yet i would say 150cc...i see many with 175cc bikes on their trykes of many origin from chinese made to japanese made..good luck..
Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 10:31:22 PM »
There are thousands of tricycles here and they must cover every brand of motorcycle made. I would suggest that you go for a 4 stroke, they are far more suited to a tricycle than the more peaky 2 strokes.

Colin

Offline easy4488

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:21:11 PM »
The Honda TMX, 150cc, four stroke is the standard bike in Cebu for tricycle use.  It is bulletproof, reliable, parts available everywhere and any mechanic can work on them.  It would be my choice for that application.

Rick Martin

Offline gudluck

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 04:40:09 PM »
dear friends

i agree that 4 stoke motor is better, but about Tmx, there is a trouble that i see many drive start it very difficult even it would kick them back!! :o ; :o . beacuse of this, it seem i want to choose 2 stoke motor.

will it be the problem of other 4 stoke brand? and i hear 2 stoke motor is fading out,right?

pls advise. thanks

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 09:57:06 PM »
dear friends

i agree that 4 stoke motor is better, but about Tmx, there is a trouble that i see many drive start it very difficult even it would kick them back!! :o ; :o . because of this, it seem i want to choose 2 stoke motor.

will it be the problem of other 4 stoke brand? and i hear 2 stoke motor is fading out,right?

pls advise. thanks

I would think that kicking back would be due to poor maintenance, there is no reason why a 4 stroke should do that. 2 strokes can give a good performance, but usually at high revs and therefore not ideal for tricycles. They also tend to have a higher fuel consumption and have to have oil added to the fuel which produces smoke. 4 strokes are mre complicated with more moving parts and therefore need more maintenabce. I doubt very much that 2 strokes are fading out, they are favoured by boy racers.

Colin

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »
\"i hear 2 stoke motor is fading out,right?\"

That\'s what the government has said, but when does, what the government wants, HAPPEN?

With a 2 stroke and the gas/oil isn\'t mixed correctly, you have a PROBLEM unless you mix it yourself, every time. To much oil or WRONG kind, (used motor oil isn\'t uncommon around here), and it will blow smoke and hard to start. To little oil and there go your engine. Oh yes, the automatic oiler for 2 strokers where you just put gas in the tank can fail also or you forget to top it off or THINK you have enough.

You can do more to a small 2 stroke engine to pump it up then a 4 stroker, that\'s for sure!  Never own a motorcycle but had 3 snow mobiles when in Alaska and mine was a 440cc 3 banger 2 stroker.  ;D

It doesn\'t matter if you own a motorcycle or whatever. YOU MUST TAKE CARE OF IT!

If all this 2 stroke/4 stroke stuff is new to you, I would go with the 4 storker!
B-Ray 

dear friends

i agree that 4 stoke motor is better, but about Tmx, there is a trouble that i see many drive start it very difficult even it would kick them back!! :o ; :o . beacuse of this, it seem i want to choose 2 stoke motor.

pls advise. thanks

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 01:27:49 PM »
\"i hear 2 stoke motor is fading out,right?\"

That\'s what the government has said, but when does, what the government wants, HAPPEN?

With a 2 stroke and the gas/oil isn\'t mixed correctly, you have a PROBLEM unless you mix it yourself, every time. To much oil or WRONG kind, (used motor oil isn\'t uncommon around here), and it will blow smoke and hard to start. To little oil and there go your engine. Oh yes, the automatic oiler for 2 strokers where you just put gas in the tank can fail also or you forget to top it off or THINK you have enough.

You can do more to a small 2 stroke engine to pump it up then a 4 stroker, that\'s for sure!  Never own a motorcycle but had 3 snow mobiles when in Alaska and mine was a 440cc 3 banger 2 stroker.  ;D

It doesn\'t matter if you own a motorcycle or whatever. YOU MUST TAKE CARE OF IT!

If all this 2 stroke/4 stroke stuff is new to you, I would go with the 4 storker!
B-Ray 

dear friends

pls advise. thanks

I have owned a wide range of both 2 strokes and 4 strokes over the years, the early ones were 2 strokes, but I would never buy one of those again. At my age I would not buy any motorbike particularly here in the Philippines, I don\'t have a death wish  ;D

I was not aware of the possibility of banning all 2 strokes here, it doesn\'t sound like a very practical idea. I do,however, think that it would be a good idea to not issue new tricycle permits/licenses to 2 strokes so that they could be gradually phased out. I think the mayor here in Puerto Princesa has an even better idea in introducing electric powered tricycle.

You can tweak a 2 stroke to give more power at high revs because the only moving parts are the pistons, unlike a 4 stroke that has a lot of valve gear to move. But if you do tune a 2 stroke, the sound of the petrol/gas passing through the carburetor will drowned the noisiest exhaust  ;D

Colin

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog