Author Topic: Dual Citizenship  (Read 7988 times)

Re: Dual Citizenship
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 09:48:44 AM »
I don\'t know about any other consulate but at the San Francisco consulate an original NSO certificate is required.  My wife went through the process and they would not do anything without the NSO certificate.

A NSO brith certificate is easily obtained, even overseas. See my post:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=226.0

If your wife doesn\'t have a birth cert, than that is much more involved.

My wife obtained her dual citizenship, in the Philippines, fairly easily and without the need of a NSO Birth Certificate. This was just as well because of the problems we later encountered with errors on the original birth certificate. Changing an incorrect spelling of a name took 3 months, and she decided to accept an incorrect official birth date because it was too difficult and expensive to change. If the gender is wrong on the birth certificate you are in for real problems.

Colin

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 05:34:43 PM »
Hi
Just would like to add something here concerning kids born to Filipino outside the Philippines. Although they are automatically award Filipino citizenship, parent are required to report there birth to the Philippines consulate abroad. They cannot obtain a Filipino passport until this is done. My wife recently reacquired her Filipino citizenship and new passport. Our child also got her Filipino passport along with her U.S. passport. They whole process was quite easy.

Trevor
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

Offline Rick

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 11:47:47 AM »
   My adult son moved back to PI in 2005 and reaquired his Filipino citizenship without any
   birth certificate at all. He had his US passport and his naturalization certificate and it took
about 15 minutes at the Manila BI office.

Rick

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 05:02:31 AM »
Greg...this is \"murf\" a new member here. can you help me with some clarification regarding this current thread. I am married to a Filipina national in 2004, I brought her to the USA in 2006 in may, she received a two year green card and society security number within two weeks here in the USA. Her green card is about to expire on may 05 of this year, i applied for her an extension for a 10 year green card even though we are moving permanently back to the PI in October of this year. Seeing as how she is not a US Citizen will she run into any problems in her own country for she has been gone for two years?Thank you in advance for any help or suggestion you may offer.
Respectfully
Semper Fi
The \"Murf\"

Arlie, it\'s much better to have her reacquire her citizenship from the Consulate serving your area.  It\'s a really simple process.  My wife did it last year.  Cost is only $50.  If you don\'t reacquire there may be some problems when she tries to renew her Philippine passport.  For a listing of the RP Consulates in the US click the link below.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/Consulates.htm

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 10:36:13 AM »
Geno555 wrote:
Greg...this is \"murf\" a new member here. can you help me with some clarification regarding this current thread. I am married to a Filipina national in 2004, I brought her to the USA in 2006 in may, she received a two year green card and society security number within two weeks here in the USA. Her green card is about to expire on may 05 of this year, i applied for her an extension for a 10 year green card even though we are moving permanently back to the PI in October of this year. Seeing as how she is not a US Citizen will she run into any problems in her own country for she has been gone for two years?Thank you in advance for any help or suggestion you may offer. 

Murf, my friend, my apologies for the lengthy delay.  I have not checked back here in a while and just found your question.  My bad sir.   :-[

I see no one has answered your question here so here\'s what I\'ve got.  I see you\'ve applied for her legal permanent residence after satisfying the two year conditional requirement.   I see no problems for her in her own country as she has retained her RP citizenship.  However if she is out of the US for over one year, without requesting an extension, then she will lose her 10 year legal permanent resident status.  If USCIS suspects that she is not maintaining residence in the US she will lose it.  Murf, if you can somehow manage to stay in the US just long enough (which would be one more year) for her to get her naturalization that would be perfect.  Then she can come and go as she pleases.  Plus she\'ll have a much easier time visiting other countries as a US citizen.  After obtaining this she can then reacquire her RP citiizenship.  Then she is a citizen of both countries.  The best of both worlds.

Good luck and, again, sorry for the delay.
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog