Author Topic: Ham radio  (Read 3124 times)

Offline oy1jd

Ham radio
« on: January 18, 2008, 02:34:47 PM »
Hi I\'m a legal radio amateur I was wondering if there is any law for me to bring my hand held 2 m and 70 cm ham radio and using them in the philippines.

Greeting
Jogvan Sune Danielsen
OY1JD

Re: Ham radio
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 06:40:43 PM »
From what I have been able to find out about CB and Other radios here it would be illegal for you to bring your radio and it would be confiscated if they found it on your person see the heading under Hobbies on this site we have been having a conversation on private radio use

Seems to be strict control on all radios including SSB could be because of the NPA and Other gorilla groups operating here government may not want radios in there hands seems foolish as everyone has a cell phone anyway

Best Regards

Tom

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 08:54:57 AM »
I just got off the phone with a man that is a HAM and used to live in the PI and he says there is no problem using your equipment there. He was unsure as to the use of CB but say the PI partners with whatever agency governs the US. He informed me that all you need is to contact PARA in Manila and get registered there, but it isn\'t really necessary. He also stated that there is a 100% import duty on imported radio equipment but says he shipped over a plethora of radios and sprinkled it in with his household goods without getting taxed. Here is the link to PARA.

http://www.para.org.ph/

This clears up the HAM half of the question...  CB? another story, but maybe the boys at PARA can provide info.

RUFUS
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:21:13 PM »
Include your equipment with other items as \"household items\" in a balikbayan box and do your thang and forget what\'s legal Stateside!! I hold an USA FCC lifetime General that means NOTHING here from what I can find out.

Unless your living in Manila, I doubt anyone would be saying anything and maybe not even there?

What would you be doing with 2m here, since that\'s low power, line of sight with very limited range?
B-Ray

Offline mupsuit

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »

What would you be doing with 2m here, since that\'s low power, line of sight with very limited range?
B-Ray

Very good point - I took my scanner with me and also a sw/ssb receiver - all the local stuff is usually in Tagalog laced with slang - not interesting

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 05:35:44 PM »
LOL...

i was gonna bring my scanners too...
forgot about the fact i wont understand a word i hear...  :D :D

DUHHH...
i guess its better to be reminded now then figure it out once i\'m over there... lol

RUFUS

SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »
LOL...

i was gonna bring my scanners too...
forgot about the fact i wont understand a word i hear...  :D :D

All the more reason to learn the language, di ba?   ;D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:20:59 AM »
NO WAY...

the entire world should learn English to accommodate me!!!

;D ;D ;D

RUFUS
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline mupsuit

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »
NO WAY...

the entire world should learn English to accommodate me!!!

;D ;D ;D

RUFUS

I know you said this with a smile - but is a FACT that English is an essential component in modern education for Filipinos - whenever you have the time spend it with the youngsters speaking to them in English - you are making a contribution to their future welfare

and for learning Tagalog - just enough for day to day courtesy - 

Offline jcjimc

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 03:48:26 AM »
If you are still interested in HAM Radio here is the site of the Philippine Amature Radio Society.

http://www.para.org.ph/

Kind regards.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog