Author Topic: New Section 13 visa requirements ~ 2008  (Read 25440 times)

New Section 13 visa requirements ~ 2008
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:08:56 PM »
Checklist of Documentary Requirements

For Applications for Conversion to Non-Quota Immigrant by Marriage
(Section 13, para. A)

1. Duly notarized letter of application by the Filipino spouse;
    2. General Application Form duly accomplished and notarized (BI Form No. MCL -07-01);
    3. NSO authenticated copy of Birth certificate of Filipino spouse;
    4. NSO authenticated copy of the Marriage Contract of alien and Filipino spouse or authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate nearest to or in the place where the marriage was solemnized;
    5. Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate; and
    6. Plain photocopy of passport of alien spouse showing dates of arrival and authorized stay.

Checklist of Documentary Requirements

For Applicants for Amendment of Probationary Non-Quota Immigrant Visa to Permanent Resident Visa
(Section 13, para. A)

1. Duly notarized letter request from the petitioner-Filipino spouse;
    2. General Application Form duly accomplished and notarized (BI) Form No. MCL-07-01;
    3. Valid ACR I-Card;
    4. Valid passport of applicant; and
    5. Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate.

Re: New Section 13 visa requirements ~ 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 11:19:57 AM »
All,

Below is the new Checklist for document requirements under Section 13, for 2008:

CHECKLIST OF SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS REQUIRED IN THE PROCESSING OF APPLICATIONS FOR, AND ISSUANCE OF VISA, CHANGE OF IMMIGRATION STATUS, VISA EXTENSION AND OTHER SPECIAL PERMITS BEFORE THE BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (BI)
I. CHANGE OF IMMIGRATION STATUS UNDER PERTINENT PROVISIONS OF COMMONWEALTH ACT NO. 613, AS AMENDED

A.   Quota Immigrant Under Section 13 –

1.   General Application Form duly accomplished and notarized (BI Form No. MCL-07-01);
2.   Plain photocopy of the applicant’s passport showing admission stamp and authorized stay;
3.   Original copy of proof of actual investment in business in the Philippines of at least US$40,000.00 (bank deposits not accepted) or proof of applicant’s  special qualification which has advanced or will advance the Philippine national interest;
4.   Original copy of Medical Certificate issued by the Bureau of Quarantine and International Health Surveillance or a government medical institution with competence to certify that the applicant is not afflicted with any dangerous, contagious or loathsome disease and is mentally fit;
5.   Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate; and
6.   National Intelligence Coordinating Agency (NICA) Clearance.

B.   Non-Quota Immigrant by Marriage Under Section 13(a) –

1.   Duly notarized letter of application by the Filipino spouse;
2.   General Application Form duly accomplished and notarized (BI Form No. MCL-07-01);
3.   NSO authenticated copy of Birth certificate of Filipino spouse;
4.   NSO authenticated copy of the Marriage Contract of alien and Filipino spouse or authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate nearest to or in the place where the marriage was solemnized;
5.    Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate; and
6.   Plain photocopy of passport of alien spouse showing dates of arrival and authorized stay.

C.   Child Born Abroad of Immigrant Mother Under Section 13(b) –

1.   Duly notarized letter request by petitioning mother;
2.   General Application Form duly accomplished and notarized (BI Form No. MCL-07-01);
3.   ACR I-CARD of mother;
4.   Birth certificate of child, duly authenticated by the Philippine embassy/ consulate nearest to or in the place of birth, with English translation, if written in other foreign language;
6.   Plain photocopy of mother’s and child’s passport.

D.   Returning Resident Under Section 13(e) –

1.   Duly notarized letter of application with the statement that the applicant intends to reside permanently in the Philippines and justification why the applicant overstayed outside of the Philippines;     
3.   Plain photocopy of the applicant’s passport with admission stamp;
4.   Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate; and
5.   ACR I-CARD; NICA Clearance.

If in the application, the applicant is joined by his/her spouse and unmarried minor children:

1.   Plain photocopy Passport of dependent; and
2.   Plain photocopy ACR I-CARD of dependent/s.     

E.   Returning Former Filipino Citizen Under Section 13(g) –

1.   Duly notarized letter of application;
3.   NSO authenticated copy of birth certificate of  the applicant;
4.   Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate; and
5.   Plain photocopy of passport, with English translation if written in other foreign language by the Phil. Embassy / consulate nearest to or in the place where the passport was issued.

If in the application, the applicant is joined by his/her spouse and unmarried minor children:

1.   Copy of marriage contract of applicant and spouse, duly authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate nearest to or in the place where the marriage was solemnized, with English translation, if written in other foreign language;
2.   Copy of birth certificate of minor unmarried children, duly authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate nearest to or in the place where the marriage was solemnized, with English translation, if written in other foreign language; and
3.   Plain photocopies of their respective passports.

F.   Temporary Resident’s Visa Under Section 13(a), in relation to Law Instruction No. 33 –

1.   Duly notarized letter of application by petitioning Filipino spouse;
2.   General Application Form duly accomplished by the foreign spouse and notarized (BI Form No. MCL-07-01);
3.   NSO authenticated copy of birth certificate of Filipino spouse;
4.   NSO authenticated copy of the Marriage Contract of the alien and Filipino  spouse, or if solemnized abroad, Marriage Contract authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate in or nearest the place where marriage was solemnized, with English translation if written in other foreign language;
6.   Plain photocopy of passport/s of alien spouse and/or children showing dates of arrival and authorized stay.

II.
VISA EXTENSION UNDER PERTINENT PROVISIONS OF
COMMONWEALTH ACT NO. 613, AS AMENDED

A.   Temporary Resident’s Visa- Under Section 13(a)-

7.   Duly notarized letter request from the petitioner-Filipino spouse;
8.   General application form duly accomplished and notarized (BI Form No. MCL-07-01);
9.   Valid ACR-I-Card;
10.   Valid passport of applicant; and
11.   Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate.

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 07:29:58 PM »

QUOTE: Below is the new Checklist for document requirements under Section 13, for 2008:

Immigrant by Marriage Under Section 13(a)

1.  Duly notarized letter of application by the Filipino spouse

2.  General Application Form duly accomplished and notarized (BI Form No. MCL-07-01)

3.  NSO authenticated copy of Birth certificate of Filipino spouse

4.  NSO authenticated copy of the Marriage Contract of alien and Filipino spouse or authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate nearest to or in the place where the marriage was solemnized

5.  Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate

6.  Plain photocopy of passport of alien spouse showing dates of arrival and authorized stay

I am a little confused here. Take the case of a foriegner marrying a Filipina here in the PI ... No childeren involved.

Since you now are eligigible to apply for a 13a (Change of Status from Temporary Visitor to Non Quota Immigrant by Marriage)

Before, to apply for a 13a, you also needed:

1.  Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage (Issued by the Embassy of the Alien spouse prior to your marriage)

2.  Joint Affidavit of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage (Notorized and signed, stating any previous marriage and the manner by which the marriage was dissolved)

3.  Joint Affidavit of Financial Capacity and Support (Notarized and signed. Executed by the Alien and the Filipina spouse with supporting documents showing capacity to support themselves)

4.  NBI Clearance (Of the Alien)

5.  Barangay Clearance (Obtained fom the Barangay Captain in the area you are residing in)

6.  Medical Certificate from the Bureau of Quarantine (That the Alien and unmarried children are not afflicted with any contagious, dangerous and loathsome disease)

Are these documents I listed above not required anymore to get your 13a visa?

Thank\'s :)

Out of Stock Sir !

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:02:11 PM »
That is the general understanding yes. I have not heard from anyone yet who has been to Manila or Cebu who says otherwise. Certainly makes sense for them to drop the Barangay, Police & NBI clearance as the BI clearance will through up if you have anything against you on file. The items 1 & 2 are a nonsense as you have already got a marriage certificate which is NSO certified. So really there is only the Quarantine & financial side. Have copies of bank statements showing you have savings ( showed I had 1000 pounds in UK & same here & was enough) & Dept of Quarantine is close to Manila & Cebu BI if needed.

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »
Thank\'s Kieth ...

Your right, it makes no sense to need the \"Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage\" and the \"Joint Affidavit of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage\" since you are already legally married in the PI prior to application of the 13a.

The \"NBI Clearance\" and the \"Barangay Clearance\" is silly too, since it only applied to the alien (foriegner)

It also would be nice if a notorized and signed \"Joint Affidavit of Financial Capacity and Support\" is no longer required ... Less paperwork the better, and just another paper that don\'t need to be notorized by an attorney.

The \"Medical Certificate\" would also be nice if it were in fact not required anymore just do to the fact that it was very involved (ie: Used to require a Chest X-ray, Blood Sample (Serology VDRL report), Stool Sample (Ova & Parasites report) and a Urine Sample ... and a trip to Bureau of Quarantine and International Health Sevices

Now, if they could speed up the process of actually getting the 13a visa ... From what I have heard, it took about 9 months or more to get it after going through all the mess of submitting all the required paperwork.

Well, I hope someone actually posts here there experience with the 13a under the new rules.

Ron,
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline kajj21

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 12:24:33 AM »
can any one tell me what kind of visa i will need for when i come to live in the philippines i am comming there and going to marry a filipina can any one please help me thanks ken

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:19:26 AM »
can any one tell me what kind of visa i will need for when i come to live in the philippines i am comming there and going to marry a filipina can any one please help me thanks ken

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the Forum. A little more info on your plans would help but if you get a 59 day Tourist Visa from your nearest Philippine Embassy, you can then extend that up to 2 years while processing your 13a after you get married. If you don\'t get from the Embassy then you can come without a visa & stay for 21 days, then extend. You will need an ONGOING ticket for the 21 days though even if you don\'t use it.

I suggest you read all the other posts in this section as most of your questions are answered there. Anything you still need to know after that...fire away.

Offline modrobbo

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 05:38:58 PM »
Hi,

My situation is that my Filipina wife and myself work in the Middle East, we met here several years ago and got married at the British Embassy here.

We have properties in Manila as an invetment for when we retire there.

My question is can my wife apply for a 13a Visa for me here in the Middle East and if so what documentation would be required and any idea how long it takes to complete.

Mike.

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »
Hi,

My situation is that my Filipina wife and myself work in the Middle East, we met here several years ago and got married at the British Embassy here.

We have properties in Manila as an invetment for when we retire there.

My question is can my wife apply for a 13a Visa for me here in the Middle East and if so what documentation would be required and any idea how long it takes to complete.

Mike.

Mike,

Yes, you should be able to. Check out the Philippine Embassy in the country you are in. They will confirm what their requirements are but they are much the same as listed on the Forum. Your wife will need NSO copies of her birth certificate.  You will need certified copies of your divorce if you have been previously married.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 06:24:58 PM »
Hello there everyone.

You\'ve all been waiting for someone to post a new 13a experience with the new guidelines well wait no more. Myrlita & I just came back from Cebu Thur 6/12. I hope that my experience will help others.

Well, let\'s see, we arrived at Mactan Tue 6/10 using Cebu Pacific at 10:20am. By the time we got our luggage and a taxi it was 10:35am. We went directly to the BI office in Mandaue City costing P100 by 11am. That was good right? Wrong! BI closes down for lunch from 11am - 1pm. Went there for nothing! So, we then go to the hotel to check in. Another P100 taxi fare. It was called Vacation Hotel Cebu. Not a bad place. It was P1950 per night. x2. Also we didn\'t have the forms yet notorized yet so after going back to BI the security guard directed us down the street on Burgos to an attorney named Salvo. He charged us P600 but he made sure all the paperwork was notorized, copied and in order as BI wants. After doing this and eating lunch we went back to the BI. We 1st went to the window marked receiving. They quickly glanced over the papers to see if all were there then directed us to the 2nd floor and to the left to see a lady named Alice sitting at a desk. She checks out the paperwork for errors. All in order. She said well done for most don\'t do it right the 1st time. One of the requirements is the BI clearance. I was told that a fresh clearance must be run for every BI transaction. In other words, the BI clearance I got in May was no good for it must be run that day. So if you haven\'t done so, fill out the request for BI clearance too. It costs P1010 so the total cost to apply is P2520. Alice then sends me back downstairs to the receiving window. You give them all the paperwork and your passport. They give you a queue number. After awhile, the cashier window calls your name and number. You then pay the P2520. They will give you 2 receipts. One is for the application fee, BI clearance & LRF for P2020. The 2nd is P500 for express lane fee. BTW, although they say in the website the express lane fee is optional, it\'s a lie!! There is no option. You WILL pay it so plan on it. After you get your 2 receipts, use the photocopier next to the stairwell and copy them for your records. Then go back upstairs to Alice. She then took the paperwork from me along with the 2 receipts and said to call tomorrow AM for an appt. So I called the next AM and Alice told me that the appt will be unneccesary and my paperwork is being forwarded to Manila for processing. I thanked her for her help. She told me it takes 1.5 - 3 mo to process and you must keep your current tourist visa extensions current untill they stamp your passport with the 13A. If approved, I will be given a return app\'t for fingerprinting and ACR processing. You won\'t need your spouse on the 2nd trip but you do on your 1st for they must sign the Gen app form in front of BI. I will add to this post after my 2nd trip to update you all as it happens.

A couple of helpful hints:

1.) They will want an official NSO copy of the Filipino(a) birth certificate and they keep it so I would order a copy from NSO.

2.) If you got married in the RP as we did, they will also want a certified NSO copy of your marriage certificate also which they keep so I would order them both at the same time and get them before you start the 13A process.

2a.) If you were married outside the RP, you will need an authenticated copy of your marriage certificate by the RP embassy closest to your last jurisdiction of residence.

3.) When you fill out the Gen App form, don\'t glue your picture on it as it says to. Hold on to the pic until they say the form is correct and let them staple the pic on for you. This way, you don\'t lose it if the form has an error.

4.) Foreigner\'s birth certificate no longer required. Also medical clearance, NBI & Barangay clearance and proof of financial capacity no longer needed.

5.) Filipino(a) spousal letter is still required and notorized. The copy online here in this forum works very well. Just substitute the appropriate words and names to apply to you.

6.) Plan accordingly. If you can only get a AM appt, you may want to fly in the eve before using PAL express for Cebu Pacific only does 1 round trip in the AM only and if you arrive after 10:30am, you will miss the appt. You may have to plan out the trip carefully to make it work. Learn from my mistakes.

One final thought. With only a few exceptions, I found the people in general in Cebu to be cold and unfriendly. Come to find out from Myrlita is that Cebuanos and Ilongos don\'t get along very well. And when they see me it\'s Cha-Ching! Good to be back home here in Bacolod City. Although it\'s physically dirtier than Cebu, the people are kinder and warmer. Put it this way, I was treated better by people from Manila then Cebu. I\'m only returning there because I have to.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 07:29:05 PM »
From everyone that I have ever talked to, this 13a visa is a big pain to get. And there are charges along the way (but I am not sure how much the total will cost if you do it yourself)

And then, if you live away from Manila or Cebu, there is airline tickets and a possible hotel room that may be needed to visit the Imigrations folks in either of those cities.

Well, here is my question: There is a lawyer here in Bacolod that will get you a 13a visa for 45,000 pesos without hardly any work on your part .... Anyone here think that amount of money is fair in order so you don\'t have to put up with all the BS?

Thank\'s,
Ron
Out of Stock Sir !

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 08:12:18 PM »
From everyone that I have ever talked to, this 13a visa is a big pain to get. And there are charges along the way (but I am not sure how much the total will cost if you do it yourself)

And then, if you live away from Manila or Cebu, there is airline tickets and a possible hotel room that may be needed to visit the Imigrations folks in either of those cities.

Well, here is my question: There is a lawyer here in Bacolod that will get you a 13a visa for 45,000 pesos without hardly any work on your part .... Anyone here think that amount of money is fair in order so you don\'t have to put up with all the BS?

Thank\'s,
Ron

I think the answer is that it depends on how much you think your time is worth. There is a bit of running around and waiting in hot crowded rooms etc, but personally I don\'t think it is worth spending P45,000 to avoid it. If you have to travel to Manila, then take the opportunity to have a break and do some shopping. Every time we have to go to Manila for any reason, we stay for a week and \'shop till we drop\'  ;D ;D

Colin

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 08:47:56 PM »

Thank\'s,
Ron

Ron,

How can I best put this err no NO NO!

The whole process will cost you around P10,000 plus any travel & hotel costs. I don\'t know who you have been talking to but I did it last year before they streamlined the process (removing about 50% of the requirements - doh!) in January. These so called agents were charging P45 - 50K last year & the only bit of benefit was they saved you from the 30 mins with the BI attorney  :( and you still had to make at least 1 appearance & still would now.

You are not required to get Quarantine clearance now which was the real pain but even that still had to be done with an agent. All he does is some running around for you. Not even close for an extra P35K, more so now.

So, with respect to Steve, if he had done a little more homework & prep, got the forms notarized 1st. filled in the BI clearance etc it would have been a breeze. Additional cost over the charges, hotel & flight. Not even close to the P45K.

But if you have P35k burning a hole in your pocket & you don\'t have anything else to spend it on then ok.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »
\"But if you have P35k burning a hole in your pocket & you don\'t have anything else to spend it on then ok.\"

How about Php30,000 and NO trips, run-a-rounds to anywhere, except to notarize the paper work and DON\'T have to put up with the Cebu City or Manila conditions?

I received my 4th Balikbayan one year entrance free to the Country in a row. I\'ve saved at least that much without the 2 month hassle of the visitors visa. Therefore, this cost looks interesting to me! BTW, other expats have used this method for the same reason I\'m looking at. NO HASSLE, NO TRAVEL!
B-Ray

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 06:17:26 PM »
You can also have the 13a done in CDO. When I extended for the next two months in Tagbilaran, I mention my intentions about getting my 13a. The agent let me know to make sure my papers were notarized and I could get it done in CDO since I was going down to Mindanao or Cebu or Manila if I changed my travel plans.
..                                \ \ \ | / / /
..                                  ( @ @~)
Jeff & Ritz  -----o00o-(. .)-o00o-----

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog