Author Topic: Anyone built a Can-tenna?  (Read 2546 times)

Anyone built a Can-tenna?
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:27:24 AM »
Are they a cheap possible solution for remote rural communities with poor mobile phone reception?

What frequencies do mobiles operate on?

A cantenna is a directional waveguide antenna for long-range Wi-Fi used to increase the range of (or snoop on) a wireless network. Originally built using a Pringles potato chip can, a cantenna can be constructed quickly, easily, and inexpensively using readily obtained materials:

Four small nuts/bolts;
A short length of medium-gauge wire;
A tin can roughly 8 cm (3.66 inches) in diameter, such as a Pringles canister. The longer the better; and
An N-Female chassis mount connector, available at many electronic supply stores.

- Wikipedia.com

Re: Anyone built a Can-tenna?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:17:52 AM »
Interesting subject.

OK, I understand the antenna, but where does the wire go for the cell to use and how long is that wire, (length  = frequency), as you asked ? Can this be a long line like for 2 meters and directional?

Come on guys, what\'s the answer? Also, is a longer can more directional, narrower beam meaning better?

Another question, if the N-Female was installed at the back of the can be more effective? Underneath seems to me to cause more bouncing around before leaving the antenna.
B-Ray

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »
try this...

http://www.invictusnetworks.com/faq/Antennas%20and%20Mounting%20Hardware/How%20to%20Build%20a%20Cantenna%206-04.pdf

found some interesting things with a search for: how to build a cantenna...

RUFUS
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 02:43:45 PM »
Actually what I\'m REALLY looking for is a an inexpensive repeater antennae for mobiles for rural local so all community can benefit

But I had to start somewhere and came up with this via wikipedia (for single mobile phone - but probably makes the phone slightly less mobile  :D )