Author Topic: Renewable Energy Resources  (Read 17303 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Renewable Energy Resources
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 07:24:18 AM »
OMB,

\"Methane digester\" is an incorrect term.† It\'s actually called a Bio-Digester and it creates methane. †You can use most any kind of waste matter as \"fuel\", including your own.
 † †
Here\'s a link to one guy\'s construction plans, complete with photos and drawings
http://www.appropedia.org/Home_biogas_system_%28Philippine_BioDigesters%29

This is a link to his BioFuels website
http://www.biofuelswork.com/index.php

Very interesting stuff on his website!
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 08:29:45 AM »
The wood gasifier is also a good device to check in to.† You can run a car, boat, jeep, generator, or cook stove with wood that is converted into gas to power the vehicle.

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »
Must be the \"new\" name for it, GW. Like Bio-diesel instead of cracked vegetable oil. The plans I have for it were made 30 years ago. Ive always been interested in power systems, not to save the enviroment, but because I am a cheap son of a gun.† ;D

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 08:39:36 PM »
http://gekgasifier.com/  see this for a wood gasifier...

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »

Yep, everything is bio-this or bio-that.† The Philippines is a great place to work on bio-fuels.† They have lots of natural ingredients readily available for converting and storing methane, as well as plants for making your own bio-diesel.† I\'ll seldom have a dull day with all the projects I have planned.† †;):)

I know what you mean. When I was in my late 20\'s, I designed a hydroelectric system that didnt require a large body of water, like a lake. Unfortunately, I didnt have the money to build a large scale prototype. The small scale one worked, but the patent lawyers I contacted said I needed one to obtain a patent. I still have the designs, but not the time. Like you, I cant wait until I have the time and money to put it into action. The RP sounds good based on the lower materials/labor costs.

The renaming of things really gets to me sometimes. Especially the \"organic\" this and that. Organic beans, organic meat, organic fruits... For pete\'s sake, we certainly arent going to eat inorganic foods. I mean, a granite turkey would be a bit hard to slice. Lead celery? Cast iron potatoes?† ::) :: ;) ;D Although, I had an ex gf who\'s biscuits were as hard as cast iron. lol

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 11:52:54 PM »
I know what you mean. When I was in my late 20\'s, I designed a hydroelectric system that didnt require a large body of water, like a lake. Unfortunately, I didnt have the money to build a large scale prototype. The small scale one worked, but the patent lawyers I contacted said I needed one to obtain a patent. I still have the designs, but not the time. Like you, I cant wait until I have the time and money to put it into action. The RP sounds good based on the lower materials/labor costs.

Bill, it ounds like you were unlucky with your patent lawyers. You don\'t actually need a working prototype to get a patent, you just need to word the patent application carefully to satisfy the examiners that there is novelty (something new) in your idea, and that it is based on sound principles. I filed several successful patent applications (for my previous employer) and never had to demonstrate a prototype.

But apart from that Bill, I am not sure if a patent would give you much protection in Philippines anyway. If you come and sell a good system that has a viable commercial purpose, I am sure there will be competition based on local copies available soon enough, whether or not you have a patent for it. Making sure that your new invention/business idea has a relatively high start-up cost could reduce the number of local competitors initially and maybe buy you some time to market advantage.

Richard

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 03:16:39 AM »

............The renaming of things really gets to me sometimes. Especially the \"organic\" this and that. Organic beans, organic meat, organic fruits... For pete\'s sake, we certainly arent going to eat inorganic foods. I mean, a granite turkey would be a bit hard to slice. Lead celery? Cast iron potatoes? †::) :: ;) ;D Although, I had an ex gf who\'s biscuits were as hard as cast iron. lol

OMB, I\'ve had some bisquits here in the south that the Canadians could use as hockey pucks.† ;D

I know what you mean, lol. I asked her if one of her ancestors had created the recipe as a replacement for iron during the Civil War. Maybe to replace grapshot. lol She didnt like that too much. lol ;D

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 03:32:46 AM »
Bill, it ounds like you were unlucky with your patent lawyers. You don\'t actually need a working prototype to get a patent, you just need to word the patent application carefully to satisfy the examiners that there is novelty (something new) in your idea, and that it is based on sound principles. I filed several successful patent applications (for my previous employer) and never had to demonstrate a prototype.

But apart from that Bill, I am not sure if a patent would give you much protection in Philippines anyway. If you come and sell a good system that has a viable commercial purpose, I am sure there will be competition based on local copies available soon enough, whether or not you have a patent for it. Making sure that your new invention/business idea has a relatively high start-up cost could reduce the number of local competitors initially and maybe buy you some time to market advantage.

Richard

Thanks for the information, Richard.

I dont think I would have much competition. The estimated cost for each system, just materials/labor/misc., would be about $18,000. On the upside, it is low maintenance, no brownouts/blackouts, and will last 25+ years as long as you maintain it. There is no trashrack and you only need to lubricate the moving parts once a year (the turbines, generators). Of course, if I built the generators and turbines myself, the cost per unit would decrease and it wouldnt be that difficult to adapt the system to carry 220v and 110v.

Offline swandivr

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »
I thought we had a member here who builds and sells gasifiers,but I can't seem to find it now.I'll keep looking,it may be too expensive for me to contemplate,but it is always something to think about.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 10:06:33 PM »
Are you interested in making your own fuel? There is a lot of info available online about gasification.  Some of the homemade systems I've seen are relatively cheap and simple to make.  There are quite a few YouTube videos showing various setups for making fuel from common materials.  HTH   :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:48:35 PM by Gray Wolf »
Louisville, KY USA

Offline swandivr

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »
Making my own fuel...or a home power situation.Just thinking out loud mainly.We have a half acre here where we currently reside.We are on a river,but being so close to the ocean (1/2 mile) that the only movement we get is due to the tides.We also have a hectare over on the coast nearby.I have long thought about using some sort of tidal generator there.The wife prefers it here on the 1/2 acre..(it's near the family....you all understand the notion I am sure).I've also thought about building solar panels,but I had heard that heat affects the efficiency.I dunno exactly what to do,as I don't know much about no 'lectric...or gasifiers and such.I don't learn very well from drawings..I just can't "see" it if you know what I mean.If I could find good instructional videos that would be nice.I couldn't follow a drawing to drive a screw if it showed the screwdriver inserted in the screw along with arrows showing rotation etc.,but show me a video,and I'll be screwin with the best of 'em.  :)

I know that one of the members here sold Gasifiers (and something else too),and had a website and everything.I thought I had it bookmarked,but alas I have misplaced it or something.I don't think it was Metz tho.The guy I am thinking about had a diffferent handle.Oh well,likely more that I could afford to pay anyway.I have looked at quite a few gasifier videos,but I don't remember seeing one that was very descriptive.Maybe for folks who had a basic understanding,but most videos aren't geared to the total dufus.Lol

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 11:50:55 PM »
http://gekgasifier.com/  see this for a wood gasifier...

Is this the post you were looking for?
Louisville, KY USA

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 06:18:48 AM »
Are you interested in making your own fuel? There is a lot of info available online about gasification.  Some of the homemade systems I've seen are relatively cheap and simple to make.  There are quite a few YouTube videos showing various setups for making fuel from common materials.  HTH   :)

I built a palay gasifier with a fan and the thing goes like a rocket!!
It can burn sawdust and dry Mahogany leaves etc too,but the material have to be loaded into the chamber differently..
Ive boiled a full kettle of water in less that 3 minutes!!
Man,this is fun!

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 03:59:51 PM »
Fred,

The gasifier works well for replacement of LPG but you start running into trouble when you try to run an IC generator on it due to the tar in the gas

After a while it will close the valves and you need to remove the heads to free them.

Been to several gasification power plants 1-2 MW installed in rice mills here.

They all have major problems with tar build up in the engines even though they have wet scrubbers and Electrostatic gas cleaners

Watch out if it bridges over it may turn into an IED

Tom / Roxas City

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog