Author Topic: Renewable Energy Resources  (Read 17145 times)

Offline Lei

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Renewable Energy Resources
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
Does this qualify as a renewable energy resources...the Super Kalan? A couple of wood sticks will cook you dinner. I just bought one for my house in Baguio and one for the province. Not bad and kinda fun testing it. My brother is cooking Filipino beef stew for dinner using the super Kalan. It should save me a few hundred pesos a month and helped reduced my carbon footprints lol.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2014, 10:22:48 PM »
That's a very neat little cooking stove!  Where did you find it and how much did it cost?  I'd like to replace the junky little charcoal burner my family uses.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2014, 05:31:28 AM »
helped reduced my carbon footprints lol.

Not really sure this will reduce your carbon foot print.
Think of all the carbon that is stored in the wood, be re-released into the atmosphere :o

Pretty sure gas is still the best option ( besides solar power PV powering an electric hot plate )

Offline Lei

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
Thanks Leinster Lad for pointing that out. What I know about wood is that it is made of carbon and is renewable and sustainable. But Burning it is a different story, I didn't think about it. It releases gases and airborne particles into the air. Whether it's bad for the ozone layer, I don't know. In my mind, I was thinking of LPG gas which is a fossil fuel and non renewable. I was thinking of the vast energy needed to extract the gas from underneath the earth until it's delivered to your kitchen compared to the little twigs that I pruned from the tree, or the leftover wood/bamboo materials from the construction. The super Kalan or a rocket stove that I was talking about uses just a couple of small twigs once the fire is started. The smoke is not in your face so you are not inhaling the smoke. An hour of wood smoke going up in the air for sure is a better alternative to the smoke coming out of one's car or a tricycle or a jeep and is a good mosquito repellent! Never mind that your hair and your clothing smell smoke after cooking! Oppps that is not a good argument lol. But anyway, not many can afford to install a solar panel and if you are living in Baguio where only during the summer time that you can have a 4 or 5 hour sun during the day what is then a better alternative.

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »
Hi Julie,
at least wood is "carbon neutral" in that as it goes, it stores the carbon, then, when it decomposes or is burnt, it releases the carbon.
Really has nothing to do with the ozone layer.... this is associated with hydroflurocarbons ( refrigeration gas ) in the upper atmosphere.

Carbon, as CO2 gas, acts as a blanket and as such, slows down the loss of heat from the planet.

Nature has evolved to a very fine balance of all "things"
This balance point is such that it allows life to exist.
When the balance point moves too far from our current "ideal" point........ well......life as we know it will be gone.

Offline Lei

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »
That's a very neat little cooking stove!  Where did you find it and how much did it cost?  I'd like to replace the junky little charcoal burner my family uses.
Hehe Kuya Art I be happy to tell you here where I got it as long as I don't get in trouble for advertising the business. It cost I think 2500 pesos( sori, getting senile due to old age) and locally made in La Union.

Offline Lei

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »
Hi Julie,
at least wood is "carbon neutral" in that as it goes, it stores the carbon, then, when it decomposes or is burnt, it releases the carbon.
Really has nothing to do with the ozone layer.... this is associated with hydroflurocarbons ( refrigeration gas ) in the upper atmosphere.

Carbon, as CO2 gas, acts as a blanket and as such, slows down the loss of heat from the planet.

Nature has evolved to a very fine balance of all "things"
This balance point is such that it allows life to exist.
When the balance point moves too far from our current "ideal" point........ well......life as we know it will be gone.
Thank you. Just to let you know I flunked chemistry twice in college. My professor took pity on me gave me a passing grade so I can graduate.  Lol.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog