Author Topic: Spear gun?  (Read 8965 times)

Offline Robin

• Sr Member
Spear gun?
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:36:24 AM »
Hey Gang…

I put our first post in \"Meet your neighbors\" the other day.

Got questions about the fishing stuff. When I was in Hawaii I tried that stick & string thing with the hook; I\'d watch the fish swimming around under my Kayak laughing at me, so I went and got myself a big powerful spear gun and went hunting them instead.

Fish on Maui was ridiculesly expensive considering we were surrounded by 3,000 miles of water in every direction. I\'m sure the price down at the fish market in the morning is relatively inexpensive, most likely just plan cheap; so buying a spear gun would probably take some time to recoup the investment but I\'m thinking the fun and adventure and good exercise is more the idea.

I used to take my Kayak way down past the tourist and dive spots and paddle down a few miles to where the cliffs were too high for a rod and the coral reefs were real shallow, to shallow for even small boats, the fish hadn\'t seen people before and many were real curious (not good for them but great for the Barbe that evening).

Anyway, how many of you go spear fishing?

If so, do you go from shore or boat?

Robin
Tigbauan, Iloilo,
Panay Island, Philippines
GPS Location: N 10  40.488  -  E 122  23.235

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: Spear gun?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »
Sadly most fish close enough to shore are too small to warrant spear fishing.....when I\'ve stopped and chatted with shore fishermen, I haven\'t seen anything bigger than my little finger

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:53:53 PM »
Robin,

I have a Cressi pneumatic at the house in Leyte.  I brought it out to the beach across from the house and the locals were enamored with it...but were wondering where I was going to find anything big enough to shoot with it...lol.  There aren\'t many shore fish where we are at because they do net fishing, called bolling, and the only fish you will find are about the size of your palm.  The better way to sprearfish is getting to know the local fishermen, some will have boats and take you out to the area\'s where the reefs aren\'t too deep and there are some larger fish. I have also seen some simple made spearguns that work well for the smaller fish, if thats what you are after.  I had one made for about $15 when I was there, and its effective up to about 15 feet, not much further.

Just watch out for the explosives fishermen.  There are a lot less of them out these days, but occassionaly, you still hear it on the water...and when you are diving...it really sucks!

If you have anymore questions, I will try to answer them the best I can. I\'ve been diving in the Philippines since 1996...so have some knowledge on the ways things work there..according to diving.  I saw you are interested in Palawan, and that is the one place I have not visited yet. I\'m waiting until I retire in 5 years to take a month vacation there and get a complete picture of the diving and fun.

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline Robin

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »
Greg and Cptn. Ron,

Ok, maybe a Bamboo skewer and a sling shot?

Or getting away from the populated areas.
Tigbauan, Iloilo,

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 03:41:29 PM »
Absolutely agree with Grizzi, you\'ll need to get away from populated areas.....even small villages will have a dozen fishing boats.

Try talking to local fishermen about where they DON\'T fish due to potential damage to nets, like grizzi says REEFS

Talk to boat owners who dive for fish themselves......they\'d rather take P500 for a day of lounging around in their boat while you dive than do it themselves for possibly less return, especially if you offer them half the catch

Also be aware more and more coastal areas are becoming or already are \"marine/fish sanctuaries\" to protect future fish stocks, so NO FISH HUNTING, some you can\'t even dive in....they are human exclusion zones

A marine reserve on the other hand MAY allow some human activities including fishing

There may be several sancturies in a much larger reserve

However this is the Philippines and some sancturies are actually reserves and vice versa.....best to ask & confirm locally

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 04:24:19 PM »
However this is the Philippines and some sancturies are actually reserves and vice versa.....best to ask & confirm locally

Excellent addition to the thread Ron!  If you want to see some very angry people...try fishing in a place thats been reserved, even locally as a sanctuary.  Outside of Ormoc City on Leyte the city has designated a section of the coast outside of the city as some type of sactuary/reserve, and I have been told they are VERY serious about no fishing in that area.  I have had many offers from fishermen near the house that want to take me out to some fishing areas that they use lights at night to attract the fish.  I\'ve seen some good sized fish come out of their boats when they return, so they must have some nice areas out there...somewhere...lol.  I just have to get up the nerve to ride a 15\' banca a mile or so off shore in heavy waves! Guess I will wait until a calmer season appears...lol.

Actually, I have seen a few that had the wood cut to the shape of a gunstock, and had a stainless steel tube attached and fired a stainless steel rod propelled by bands.  It works for the locals, should be ok for smaller fish.

Hey, just think of it all as an adventure and I will try to post more on the topic during my next R&R in September... 8)
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline Robin

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 11:58:06 PM »
Thanks Capt. Ron and Grizzi for the input.

In Hawaii I met what was at the time, the USA Free Dive Champion and went spear fishing with him several times. There were many times we would be out and initially you just don\'t see any decent size fish, he taught me a little trick; he would take a bag of frozen peas with him and sprinkle a handful in the water.  We would wait just a bit and then little fish would come in for the peas. They would attract a little bit bigger fish and they would attract larger ones and we would have dinner.

I don\'t know if you\'ve got frozen peas there but many items will work, it\'s the concept; one time we didn\'t have peas, he dove and came back up with a small Octopus, cut it in little pieces and scattered it…

Robin
Tigbauan, Iloilo,

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 08:59:09 AM »
Sea urchins work great, too.  Cut \'em open and spread the innards around.  And you offer the additional benefit of helping keep the coral reef alive as sea urchins eat coral.   ;)   8)

Thanks Capt. Ron and Grizzi for the input.

In Hawaii I met what was at the time, the USA Free Dive Champion and went spear fishing with him several times. There were many times we would be out and initially you just don\'t see any decent size fish, he taught me a little trick; he would take a bag of frozen peas with him and sprinkle a handful in the water.  We would wait just a bit and then little fish would come in for the peas. They would attract a little bit bigger fish and they would attract larger ones and we would have dinner.

I don\'t know if you\'ve got frozen peas there but many items will work, it\'s the concept; one time we didn\'t have peas, he dove and came back up with a small Octopus, cut it in little pieces and scattered it…

Robin

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 01:20:21 PM »
Sea urchins work great, too.  Cut \'em open and spread the innards around.

Well, in my travels, they eat sea urchins...  :P...and yes...they taste as nasty as they look...lol. The yellow goop that they dig out of them tastes pretty well like what you would expect yellow goop to taste like. But, I won\'t get into that.  One of the other things we used for baiting purposes is dry dog food. Put it in a paper bag, tie it to a string, sink it to the bottom, and give it a few minutes before you pull up hard on the string. All the contents end up in a pile under your boat and you sit there and jig fish.  We sometimes use chicken feed mixed with ground up shrimp also.

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 02:10:29 AM »
Dry dog food!  Cool!  Never gave that one much thought, but I bet it does work pretty good, same as the chicken feed.

I\'ve had great success using corn on small hooks to catch trout in the streams in Kentucky.  If there are no frozen peas available, try canned corn.  Not the mushy style, but something like Green Giant niblets or the local equivalent. 

Aren\'t we the clever lot?   ;D

Offline Robin

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 02:49:38 AM »
All kinds of ideas huh... There is a fish out in that water just waiting for to feed him so he can feed us.
Tigbauan, Iloilo,

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 07:49:56 AM »
You might consider a Hawaiian sling.  They\'re very simple to operate and you can even make your own.
Google Hawaiian sling and check out the many styles available commercially or make your own out of bamboo and surgical tubing. 

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 03:33:29 PM »
You might consider a Hawaiian sling.

Sounds interesting!  Will look that up. Shouldn\'t be very hard to find surgical tubing in the PI, and very easy to find stainless steel also...so there are many options. Maybe build a nice mahogany speargun...fairly easy to build!

Now, if I can just get our boat finished in Leyte so I can teach them about crabbing with bicycle wheels and canned catfood...lol!

Greg 8)
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 05:45:55 PM »
NOw im curios about crabbing with bicycle wheels and catfood ???  do tell.     Griz did you ever have any success spearfishing off of Leyte?   Are there any decent dives just off of Albuera?  or decent places to find supper?

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 06:18:49 PM »
Well, I will know where the places to fish or spearfish near Albuera once they finish our banca!  I\'m having an 8 meter banca made and will have some modifications for my own needs...lol. Once I have that, all I need to do is grab some snorkeling gear and search out a reef or at least some water that isn\'t too deep to skin dive in. 

I learned the bicycle wheel trick from a guy we met at a campground on North Carolina\'s Outer Banks area.  He showed me one of the best ways to go crabbing was to find a good spot (using a boat), put a couple of holes in a small can of catfood (seafood flavor was best...lol), tie the can on the wheel and lower it so it sat on the sand.  We used 26\" wheels for that, and it worked like a charm. Once the crabs climbed onto the wheel, they would sit there and play with the catfood can.  Then you just start pulling up slowly and there you go!  It also works with cut up fish, squid, and supposedly chicken...although I never tried them. The catfood thing worked well though...lol.  I noticed that you can buy bicycle wheels that are stainless there in the Philippines...and cheap.  I\'m going to start hunting crabbing areas sooner or later...just haven\'t found the time yet...lol. :D
Greg & Almira  ;-)