Author Topic: first love9 hobbies and interest)  (Read 5565 times)

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Re: first love9 hobbies and interest)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 07:39:55 AM »
This is an interesting old thread that perhaps some of the newer members could make a contribution to.

Not a lot has changed for me since my last post (as Guest here). Building the house has taken up a lot of time but I have expanded my interest in Computing and Photography with editing photos, converting them to paintings etc.  Also a lot of reading with my e-book reader. My old hobby of building RC model aircraft is still on hold, and my workshop is not furnished yet. I need to start up a new hobby of printing money  ;D

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »
Colin,

I'm thinking of buying a new digital camera.  I've been looking at the Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18MP DSLR.  I've owned Canons before in my 35mm days and believe their lenses to be top shelf.  Yes there is a T3i, my daughter has one, but it actually got a lower rating than the T2i.  So I'm looking for deals on a T2i. 

I've found several for around $650 complete, full kit.  I value your opinion on cameras and photography and wondered what you thought of this choice.   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »
Colin,

I'm thinking of buying a new digital camera.  I've been looking at the Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18MP DSLR.  I've owned Canons before in my 35mm days and believe their lenses to be top shelf.  Yes there is a T3i, my daughter has one, but it actually got a lower rating than the T2i.  So I'm looking for deals on a T2i. 

I've found several for around $650 complete, full kit.  I value your opinion on cameras and photography and wondered what you thought of this choice.   :)

Jack, I have had to do a little research because I am not familiar with the US designations. It seems that the T2i is the 550D and the T3i the 600D.

In my opinion, the 550D is more than adequate for your needs, there appears to be little difference in the spec between the two. However, I would go further and say that a 500D would be even better value if you can find one. You don’t need 18 or even 15 Megapixel sensors, I find my 10 more than adequate. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_digital_cameras .
If you are in to monster prints then maybe you should be looking at a more professional camera. I can still print 3ft x 4ft tarpaulins and they look good. A few years ago I had four photos printed on a 3 x 4 and they cut up to just under A3 size. They looked good and cost approx P100 each.

I would go even further and suggest looking at the two digit series. e.g 50D or 60D. These have stronger metal bodies rather than plastic and are partially waterproofed. I knocked my 40D off a table onto a tiled floor and it only damaged the autofucus mechanism in the lens. They also have more external controls which makes them quicker and easier to use.

My camera does not have video which I find unnecessary. They are only good for the youtube type of thing, for proper video it would be far better to get a proper separate video camera.

I have a collection of lenses from my days with an EOS 650 film camera, but I use the 18-55 EFS IS lens most of the time. I also bought a 55-250 EFS IS lens but rarely use it. I believe there is an 18-85 which looks a good compromise. Whatever you do, get an IS lens, I can hand hold down to very slow speeds.

One disadvantage of an SLR is the size, so I have been thinking about buying one of these new ultra slim ‘shirt pocket’ cameras that I can always carry with me. I have seen them here for less that P5k.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 11:23:43 PM »
When I compared the T3i (600D) to the T2i (550D) they actually ranked the "advanced" camera as a bit slower and with photos that were not as sharp.
The only difference in specs was the addition of a rotating flipout screen for holding the view screen at odd angles.  It's $100 more.  I've decided that I don't need all that.

I think I'll have a hard look at the 500D or even the 50D or 60D.  Perhaps I can do just as well and have enough leftover cash to buy a nice IS zoom lens.

Thanks Colin!   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog