Author Topic: first love9 hobbies and interest)  (Read 5562 times)

Offline she

first love9 hobbies and interest)
« on: August 01, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »

:D hi hello Im chel I work as a teacher in bulacan.. during my  studying i know whats my interest but unfortunately becaouse of financial problems I sent to  a course which not  very fitted to my interest.. well I gone to Education course... but what I  really likes more is to the field of drawing ,  and most my first love is singing.. yeah I really really love singing.. I discover my talent  durinbg my high shool years... I cant live without its... I love also drawing i love paintings and visit museums
 well even though Im working as a teacher I ve always use my talents and its very productive ... i use to make drawing in teaching little kids most especially in grade one,,, they really amazed  and makes me feel proud bout that... jeje not all people can draw nicely and sing well right?????? but on the other hand I was sad coz my real voice gone and I dont know if its will come back anymore...  I think becouse of my everyday work as a teacher my voice affected,,, I talked a lots 7:30 to 5:00   and sometimes I give  more of time for some students who are slow in the class.. so I went home almost 5: 30.. and makes me tired all day .. but when they learned I felt happy..... teaching is a part of my life and now Im enjoying it.. hope my voice will be  back and Im planning to make a check up on doctor bout it

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: first love9 hobbies and interest)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »
My father told me when I was young that if you can find a job that you enjoy and can be happy doing, \"everything else justs gets easier to handle\"

I tried telphone engineering but the career path that the training oficer had mapped out for me filled me with dread. I took an aptitude test with pointed to computer programming and started down that career path.
At times the work was demanding but I enjoyed solving the problems. After about 5 years in that field most of my work became mentoring new trainees.....something that I found added extra reward to my line of work.
Even branched out to run training courses in New York and enjoyed the hell out of that.

I really feel sorry for people doing jobs they hate. I don\'t mean to sound condescending, just wish they were as fortunate as myself

Hobbies used to include painting when I was younger, teenager, then playing football (soccer) took up most of my social life in twenties and early thirties, when golf and sailing took over.

Offline she

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 07:54:43 AM »
 thanks for ur share.. yeah.... doing works u really like feels u more confident and used to improved and developed it...... Im happy wit u coz u enjoy ur field of work a lot

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 08:33:19 AM »
My father told me when I was young that if you can find a job that you enjoy and can be happy doing, \"everything else justs gets easier to handle\"

I tried telphone engineering but the career path that the training oficer had mapped out for me filled me with dread. I took an aptitude test with pointed to computer programming and started down that career path.
At times the work was demanding but I enjoyed solving the problems. After about 5 years in that field most of my work became mentoring new trainees.....something that I found added extra reward to my line of work.
Even branched out to run training courses in New York and enjoyed the hell out of that.

I really feel sorry for people doing jobs they hate. I don\'t mean to sound condescending, just wish they were as fortunate as myself

Hobbies used to include painting when I was younger, teenager, then playing football (soccer) took up most of my social life in twenties and early thirties, when golf and sailing took over.

I had the exact opposite experience, but I guess it does depend on which department you join. When I was young I used to like taking things apart to find out how they worked, they never did afterwards ;D. I joined and was trained in the Inspection branch of the Post Office, now British Telecom, where we had to approve either things repaired by the factory or ordered on contracts from many manufacturers. As well as all the electrical and electronic equipment, this could range from postman’s watches (when we were part of the post office) to cables for the underwater cable laying ships, and almost everything else in between that a big organisation like British Telecom ever bought. Part of that was also repair and calibration of all types of test equipment. I later moved on to writing maintenance instruction, then a number of years in a development lab. I finally moved onto a section that I was not so keen on, so jumped at the chance to take early retirement when it was offered during BT’s downsizing operation. This was just two years after Bing and I were married, good timing  ;D

Hobbies started with model aircraft in my teens and early twenties, then ballroom dancing which ceased after I was first married. During my teens I was in the Air Training corps and was lucky enough to be sent on a gliding course where I finally flew solo. I would have liked to continue this, but it was an expensive team effort. Instead in my early thirties I bought a single handed racing dinghy and raced every Sunday for a number years. Unfortunately my first wife put too much pressure on me to stop, it got to a stage of my marriage or sailing; I chose the marriage. I then picked up building and flying model aircraft again, but when my first wife decided to leave, I just made a complete break with everything in my life, I wanted a fresh start.  It was not long after that the Bing came on the scene, what a life changing experience  ;D. Since then it has been computers, photography and designing houses. Somewhere amongst all that was a lot of DIY, and working on motorcycles and cars

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 09:14:12 AM »
but on the other hand I was sad coz my real voice gone and I dont know if its will come back anymore...  I think becouse of my everyday work as a teacher my voice affected,,, I talked a lots 7:30 to 5:00   and sometimes I give  more of time for some students who are slow in the class.. so I went home almost 5: 30.. and makes me tired all day .. but when they learned I felt happy..... teaching is a part of my life and now Im enjoying it.. hope my voice will be  back and Im planning to make a check up on doctor bout it[/color][/right]

Its not really that your \"real voice is gone\" - its more that you have to do vocal exercises in order to use your NEW voice because the muscles have simply changed.
I spent years lecturing the same hours you have and yes - I think it is bad for the singing voice to use your voice so much. My singing got WORSE because of my job also.

That means you have less control of your voice because probably the muscles are too stretched. (hmm ok now I have to actually open a textbook from school to find what im thinking... brb getting a textbook off my shelf)

Dr. Clifton Ware ,Professor Emeritus of Vocal Pedagogy, said in his book (Adventures in Singing 4th Ed. 2008) that singers should never \"speak too much or too loudly...\" and we have to break that rule everytime we work as a teacher/lecturer. Its sad to have to damage your voice everyday for work but there are exercises we can do to help adjust to the \'bad\' things we must do for our jobs... so

I think all you have to do is find the proper vocal exercises to help you regain control of your voice and learn to control those overused vocal muscles... Maybe even changing the intensity of your voice during work hours...  there may be many options - just google that Dr. Ware and see some of what he talks about...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline she

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »
dylanaz, really really thank u for that information , yes well I will search for that... coz u know I feel and really believe when someone is singing the bad vibration or energy on body come out then also stress, makes u feel better... singing is really really helpful....

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 10:38:58 PM »
I always use tea and honey when I lose my voice and at night before bed I add some Scotch to it to help and I usually wake up in the morning my old self, now if I could just figure how to wake up my young self and I would be a genius.  :D
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 11:01:19 PM »
My wife Eda is a teacher and her voice hurts after teaching also. She drinks hot ginger tea and this relieves her.

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline she

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 05:56:33 PM »
nice r. lee and eorosick  I will try that Advice.... I want to0 have solution bout  thisssss... God bless for ur  goodness guys

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 06:32:50 PM »
 Back when i was in elementary school i started to play cricket. ( I am originaly from the west indies, that is in the caribbean, island of Jamaica). Cricket was my first love. Back then all my friends played. Would play almost every day. I was a bowler. During the same time i would also do some spear fishing and that was how i became a good swimmer. In my mid teen we moved to the city where i went to a trade school. Learning the electrical trade. I started out rewinding electric motors and armatures, transformers and basicaly anything which could be rewound or repair.  On the weekends and sometimes early mornings a couple friends and i would go to the sea and swim. There was an annual cross the harbour race which we train for and competed in. This race had like a hundred swimmer and was a distance of two miles. My placing was twenth. One day my friend remarked to me that i have strong looking legs so he think i should take up cycling. As i had always love cycling i thought to myself why not. At that time there was a weekly bicycle racing at the stadieum on the velodrome so that was when i started cycling at the age of 19 yrs. old. Back then my country Jamaica was the host of the 1966 british empire and commonwealth games.
I was selected to represent my country in the 10 miles race which i finished in 7th. place. No medal as there was only gold , silver and bronze. The next day was also a 120 miles road race which i raced in but unfortunately at about the 20 mile mark i ran off the road fell and broke my wrist, had to abandon the race.
So in 1968 i decided to migrate to the U.S.A. I went to New York. First i work in two small electrical shops doing repairs on different electrical appliances, rewinding electric motors and just about fixing anything. I soon realize that this is not where i want to work for the rest of my life so i went to a employment agency and bought a job with Westinghouse elevator co. Actually i paid the employment agency to locate the job for me. I paid $400.00 for the job only later to find out that the company was the one that paid the agency to locate workers, I was scammed by the agency
At Westinghouse my job was working in the wharehouse storing and handling elevator equiptment and parts. Alot of the elevator equiptment were electrical components, like coils , switches, and electric motors etc. Which i was very familiar with.

After getting to know most of the elevator mechanics and talking to them i realize that would be a good field to get into. This was a very hard job to get as it was unionize and almost all of the workers was related, father son, inlaws and so on. The pay scale was very high as this was considered a highly skill job plus a dangerous line of work.
To make a long story short after 4 yrs. of working in the wharehouse i finally got in the union and got a a job in the field  starting as a trainee or apprentice.
This was really hard work as i started in the elevator construction dept. working on high rise buildings. What makes it even harder was that in the winter i had to work in sub freezing weather. sometimes as low as 6 deg fah. with the wind blowing this even  lower the temp. even more.
It took me seven years to reach the status of journey man but then i started to make real good money and i became one of the top mechanic with the co.
After about 15 yrs. in the construction  dept. i got a transfer to the maintenance dept. where the work was much more leisurly but i had to use my knowledge more as i was the trouble shooter. The guy who they call when the regular mech. cannot fix a problem. Well of course by this time i was getting  12% above the regular pay scale because of my talent.
I work in this dept for another 15 yrs. During all this time i still find the time to do my cycling. Mostly train in the evenings after work when i could and race on weekends. I was devorced in  yr. 2000.  but was seperated for two yrs. before that.
I met Aileen in 2001 when i first came to Manila. We got married the same year. I worked untill the year 2006 then there was a 5 months strike by the union. By then our daughter Savannah was two yrs. old.  After 30 yrs. of hard labour i decided to retire and moved to Florida. As our daughter was getting older and i really wanted to spend some quality time with her and watch her grow and with Aileen\'s urging i finally retired. Best thing i ever did as i could feel myself getting older and older by the day.
After living in florida and visiting here i finally decide to move here full time. Only thing is we have this big house  in Fl. which we can\'t sell and had to rent out fully furnished for a  small amount. For us this is okay and i can do my cycling here everyday if i want. Much more relaxing here for us.
That is my story. hope not too boring.

Trevor
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 01:19:52 AM »
Only thing is we have this big house  in Fl. which we can\'t sell and had to rent out fully furnished for a  small amount.

Brad Pitt had to do the same thing so I know how it is.

I would pay well for a buyer to come along and buy my semi-custom 6 yr old home for the same price brand new units are going for today!
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline she

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »
Back when i was in elementary school i started to play cricket. ( I am originaly from the west indies, that is in the caribbean, island of Jamaica). Cricket was my first love. Back then all my friends played. Would play almost every day. I was a bowler. During the same time i would also do some spear fishing and that was how i became a good swimmer. In my mid teen we moved to the city where i went to a trade school. Learning the electrical trade. I started out rewinding electric motors and armatures, transformers and basicaly anything which could be rewound or repair.  On the weekends and sometimes early mornings a couple friends and i would go to the sea and swim. There was an annual cross the harbour race which we train for and competed in. This race had like a hundred swimmer and was a distance of two miles. My placing was twenth. One day my friend remarked to me that i have strong looking legs so he think i should take up cycling. As i had always love cycling i thought to myself why not. At that time there was a weekly bicycle racing at the stadieum on the velodrome so that was when i started cycling at the age of 19 yrs. old. Back then my country Jamaica was the host of the 1966 british empire and commonwealth games.
I was selected to represent my country in the 10 miles race which i finished in 7th. place. No medal as there was only gold , silver and bronze. The next day was also a 120 miles road race which i raced in but unfortunately at about the 20 mile mark i ran off the road fell and broke my wrist, had to abandon the race.
So in 1968 i decided to migrate to the U.S.A. I went to New York. First i work in two small electrical shops doing repairs on different electrical appliances, rewinding electric motors and just about fixing anything. I soon realize that this is not where i want to work for the rest of my life so i went to a employment agency and bought a job with Westinghouse elevator co. Actually i paid the employment agency to locate the job for me. I paid $400.00 for the job only later to find out that the company was the one that paid the agency to locate workers, I was scammed by the agency
At Westinghouse my job was working in the wharehouse storing and handling elevator equiptment and parts. Alot of the elevator equiptment were electrical components, like coils , switches, and electric motors etc. Which i was very familiar with.

After getting to know most of the elevator mechanics and talking to them i realize that would be a good field to get into. This was a very hard job to get as it was unionize and almost all of the workers was related, father son, inlaws and so on. The pay scale was very high as this was considered a highly skill job plus a dangerous line of work.
To make a long story short after 4 yrs. of working in the wharehouse i finally got in the union and got a a job in the field  starting as a trainee or apprentice.
This was really hard work as i started in the elevator construction dept. working on high rise buildings. What makes it even harder was that in the winter i had to work in sub freezing weather. sometimes as low as 6 deg fah. with the wind blowing this even  lower the temp. even more.
It took me seven years to reach the status of journey man but then i started to make real good money and i became one of the top mechanic with the co.
After about 15 yrs. in the construction  dept. i got a transfer to the maintenance dept. where the work was much more leisurly but i had to use my knowledge more as i was the trouble shooter. The guy who they call when the regular mech. cannot fix a problem. Well of course by this time i was getting  12% above the regular pay scale because of my talent.
I work in this dept for another 15 yrs. During all this time i still find the time to do my cycling. Mostly train in the evenings after work when i could and race on weekends. I was devorced in  yr. 2000.  but was seperated for two yrs. before that.
I met Aileen in 2001 when i first came to Manila. We got married the same year. I worked untill the year 2006 then there was a 5 months strike by the union. By then our daughter Savannah was two yrs. old.  After 30 yrs. of hard labour i decided to retire and moved to Florida. As our daughter was getting older and i really wanted to spend some quality time with her and watch her grow and with Aileen\'s urging i finally retired. Best thing i ever did as i could feel myself getting older and older by the day.
After living in florida and visiting here i finally decide to move here full time. Only thing is we have this big house  in Fl. which we can\'t sell and had to rent out fully furnished for a  small amount. For us this is okay and i can do my cycling here everyday if i want. Much more relaxing here for us.
That is my story. hope not too boring.

Trevor
well  you know trevor its very nice to know a p[erson like you you have lots of talents and skills like those things...  nah its not boring... you have lots of experience in different fields n seems you enjoyed it

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »
Yes Chel. i do have a lot of experience  in many different ways. Ever hear the term, Jack of all trade master of none? My older daughter always tells me, (Dad you should write a book)
Which i always say i would but never got around to start, maybe one day.
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 03:55:29 PM »
Yes Chel. i do have a lot of experience  in many different ways. Ever hear the term, Jack of all trade master of none? My older daughter always tells me, (Dad you should write a book)
Which i always say i would but never got around to start, maybe one day.

You have taken the first step with your post, now all you have to do is fill in the details  ;) ;D

Colin

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »
Hey Colin, it\'s a long story. I\'ll leave it for when i write the book ;D

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog