Author Topic: Solar powered water heaters and ceill  (Read 2038 times)

Offline tennesseevolunteer

• Sr Member
Solar powered water heaters and ceill
« on: August 17, 2009, 12:25:42 AM »
We are in the planning stage of building our home in Bulacan and hoping to use solar power as much as possible. # 1 is the cost. I have found solar powered hot water heater for approx. $1600-2000. USA. plus shipping to our USA address. A solar powered roof ceiling fan to accommodate a 1500-2000 sq. ft home for $575 with a thermostat. My question is can these items be purchased in Philippines at comparable prices and quality. When we move we are thinking of using a 20\' shipping container for our househod items (somethings been in my family 250 years) and just cannot bring myself to sale.† Will any building materials be TAXED?? I think we have up to $7000.00 in value on household item??? ;D

I would love to use a whole solar powered system on our home but they are so expensive and large. The USA will give 30% rebate in some form for buying these solar powered items. Maybe I can say I am installing on our home here. Making more affordable????? ;D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: Solar powered water heaters and ceill
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:38:54 AM »
Try PASSIVE solar water heating

Black tank on the roof will maintain a temp of 150-180F during days and 120+ overnight

There\'s also PASSIVE cooling by sinking cooling tubes 1-2 meters below ground ....drops ambiant temp around 15-20F

*** You will need to de-humidify the air on re-entry into the house

Most electrics/electronics are about 10-20% more expensive in Philippines.....not so much price competition her

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:13:18 AM »
I have found solar powered hot water heater for approx. $1600-2000. USA. plus shipping to our USA address.

I agree with the the captain about this.. a roof tank will collect plenty of heat and you save almost 2 grand.

A solar powered roof ceiling fan to accommodate a 1500-2000 sq. ft home for $575 with a thermostat.

Without thermostat costs under $220 at Home depot. Can you give me some info on the unit you\'re considering?

Lowes carries this 800cfm 17\" gable fan - I would love to convert these into freestanding room fans and have a few in my house with no more electricity bills !!!! ! (under $240 each)

My question is can these items be purchased in Philippines at comparable prices and quality.

No. Not that any around here have shared. Local companies do sell them - but I think they probably had them shipped in from other countries.

When we move we are thinking of using a 20\' shipping container for our household items

Bingo - keep a copy of the reciepts with you... also keep a copy of receipts INSIDE the container just in case you dont have access to yours when and IF a question of taxing comes up. If you don\'t have a receipt it is rumored they take a guess at value... you may not like the guess.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »
Right on Capt.

If you don\'t want to support a water tank of size, (water is heavy), on the roof, you can plumb the roof with black PVC tubing and feed a tank outlet, just above the highest point of delievery inside on the ground.

Passive cooling, (under ground), take a long run to be effective OR in a running water creek, if your so lucky.

I will suggest at least a 6\" PVC, (8\" better depending on the run), piping in the system and a solar operated attic fan at the air incoming and screened and maybe even filtering the air.

If you find ground water at say 1 meter deep, your in tall cotton!! ;D

Using water for cooling will be more costly to set up and operate, but can be effective.
B-Ray†  

Try PASSIVE solar water heating

Black tank on the roof will maintain a temp of 150-180F during days and 120+ overnight

There\'s also PASSIVE cooling by sinking cooling tubes 1-2 meters below ground ....drops ambient temp around 15-20F

Most electrics/electronics are about 10-20% more expensive in Philippines.....not so much price competition her

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »
This alot of good information. I will go to Lowes and Home Depot in morning and check these attic fans out.† For the solar water heaters, I\'ve seen so many different types but the passive unit looks the best. Using it for cooling may not be useable in my situation but will talk to to builder. If God is willing we pray to start building Jan.2011.† Reality not far away.

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 12:43:03 PM »
When we move we are thinking of using a 20\' shipping container for our househod items (somethings been in my family 250 years) and just cannot bring myself to sale.† Will any building materials be TAXED?? I think we have up to $7000.00 in value on household item??? ;D

You do not say what visa you are coming in on. If its a 13A you can bring all your personal goods in a container (excluding car) duty free. I brought in a 40 foot container without any problems.

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:38:41 AM »
My wife will be eligible for US citizenship next year and will become dual citizen. At this time we are caring for my mother and will not make full move till we are able. I probably get a retirement visa.

I check at Lowes for the gable fans and of course they do not have. I will go and talk to their contractor saleman tomorrow and see if they have, or has to be ordered and price.

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 09:20:33 AM »
My wife will be eligible for US citizenship next year and will become dual citizen. At this time we are caring for my mother and will not make full move till we are able. I probably get a retirement visa.

I check at Lowes for the gable fans and of course they do not have. I will go and talk to their contractor saleman tomorrow and see if they have, or has to be ordered and price.

As your wife is Philippine Citizen you can get a 13A Visa giving you permanent residence here. Even if she becomes dual citizen makes no difference. There are pro\'s and cons of different visas, which are frequently discussed under a different topic section.