Author Topic: Is there something equivalent to a GED in the Phils?  (Read 8893 times)

Offline CanoNoMo

• Sr Member
Is there something equivalent to a GED in the Phils?
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:58:37 AM »
My girlfriend is 24, she only has a 8th grade educataion, I had her attending some remedial type classes, but she seems unaware of any GED type training.
She is a province girl and as you all know her education level really limits her ability to get a job, and hurts her self esteem.
any helpful advise is greatly appreciated
Ain\'t Life a Beach!

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Is there something equivalent to a GED in the Phils?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:16:33 AM »
If you marry her and bring her to the US, let her get her GED there. If she is to remain in the Philippines, then let her go back to school. It is not as silly as it sounds for a 24 y/o to sit and learn with high school kids. Plus it will keep her occupied and her self esteem will go up as she learns.
My wife has a similar education level and was going to go back to high school while she was still in the RP, but her paperwork went through very quickly and she never got back to it. She is currently looking into the process of getting a GED here, though the lack of education has not prevented her from quickly getting a job in a nursing home. Now she wants the GED so she can go to college to take classes to do something more in the medical field
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 06:39:15 AM »
My girlfriend is 24, she only has a 8th grade educataion, I had her attending some remedial type classes, but she seems unaware of any GED type training.
She is a province girl and as you all know her education level really limits her ability to get a job, and hurts her self esteem.
any helpful advise is greatly appreciated

There are MANY things to look at here.

First of all. Your answer is YES. There is a GED type exam here that people can take and bypass school.

But when you said \"you all know her education level really limits her ability to get a job, and hurts her self esteem.\"

Does she have the knowledge already and just need the paper to prove it or does she need the information AND the paper (GED)?

I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline CanoNoMo

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 09:19:52 AM »
hmmm..
Rufus.. yes, she has sat in classes already with highschool kids, before what I guess is summer break they had exams, she says she never got her results..I think maybe she didnt do well and gave up the on the idea of returning. Keeping her occupied is a big part of it...we are marriage minded and Im going to meet her in 2 1/2 weeks for the first time.
I have no plans of living the rest of my life in the good \'ol US of A though....

\"brad\"... not sure what you mean by her needing the \"information\"? she does not know of a GED program if thats what you mean,Shes an intelligent girl yes, but anyone will only have so much academic skill with an 8th grade edu. She can read write and add up the minutes I talk to her everyday at $0.13.9 a minute ;)

Colin...thx at least I know there is  a program in place there...you can lead a horse to water .....eh?
Ain\'t Life a Beach!

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 12:21:36 PM »
\"brad\"... not sure what you mean by her needing the \"information\"? she does not know of a GED program if thats what you mean,Shes an intelligent girl yes, but anyone will only have so much academic skill with an 8th grade edu.

I obtained a GED BEFORE my Jr. year in highschool. I was bored with highschool and taking classes at the UC Berkeley extention at the same time. I decided it was pointless to finish highschool when I had the chance to move 100% full time to a university.

I had the \"information\" or knowledge needed to pass the exam already and did so just to satisfy entry requirements (all but the little age problem which was sooo easy to get by pre \'86 before real ID was required in USA for immigration purposes)

Basically I was asking does she need classes to prepare for the exam - or is she ready to go pass the exam at this moment.

I think you answered that question thou when you said \"I think maybe she didnt do well and gave up the on the idea of returning.\"

So if it is a part of her long term plans going back to those classes and getting her scores can tell her what areas she needs to study. If she scored good then she can just go take her exam! My wife did the exact same thing here which allowed her to finish her college program a few years ahead of her ex-classmates.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »

First of all. Your answer is YES. There is a GED type exam here that people can take and bypass school.

Details pls

What\'s it called? Administered at provincial or national level? Contacts?

A couple of Glo\'s siblings might want to investigate this further......

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 03:26:46 PM »
Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

Will Durant (1885 - 1981)