Author Topic: Architect  (Read 2662 times)

Offline spock1

Architect
« on: September 08, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
Hi folks,  The wife and I are planning to build a house at Puerto Galera  in January of 2010. Does anyone have a recommendation of a reputable and reliable architect in Manila or maybe Batangas who could help in this project.

What we are after is someone to draw up plans from our ideas and also to do up a materials list that will be required to build the house. Have emailed a few places in Manila but they all just seem to be interested in how much we are prepared to spend. I just need the plans and a materials list as I will tender out the construction at a later date.

Any ideas of how much a set of plans and materials list should cost. The house will be under 150sqm.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

Angie and Peter
NQ. Australia

Re: Architect
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 01:28:06 PM »
Hi folks,  The wife and I are planning to build a house at Puerto Galera  in January of 2010. Does anyone have a recommendation of a reputable and reliable architect in Manila or maybe Batangas who could help in this project.

What we are after is someone to draw up plans from our ideas and also to do up a materials list that will be required to build the house. Have emailed a few places in Manila but they all just seem to be interested in how much we are prepared to spend. I just need the plans and a materials list as I will tender out the construction at a later date.

Any ideas of how much a set of plans and materials list should cost. The house will be under 150sqm.

Angie and Peter
NQ. Australia

I can\'t help with the recommendations, but the drawing of plans plus construction costs are part of obtaining a building permit. An architect or engineer will generally charge 5-10% of the material costs of the building. You can recon on spending P15,000 to P20,000 per square metre for a reasonable house, although you can spend more. A 150 sq metre house could cost P3M giving the cost of plans up to permit stage of perhaps P150,000. We are paying our engineer P225,000 for a 313 square metre house.

Colin

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
My architects fee was P20,000 including materials list and labour estimates but not including inspection visits during construction phase for a 324sqm two storey house
@ 3 half visits per week I think that\'ll only be another P10-15,000

Also can\'t help with local architect refs.......sorry

Based on a stretched version Ray Kapp\'s RK1 design to put all (Family) living space on 2nd floor
The roof garden absolutely sold me on this design

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »

Angie and Peter
NQ. Australia

I can\'t help with the recommendations, but the drawing of plans plus construction costs are part of obtaining a building permit. An architect or engineer will generally charge 5-10% of the material costs of the building. You can recon on spending P15,000 to P20,000 per square metre for a reasonable house, although you can spend more. A 150 sq metre house could cost P3M giving the cost of plans up to permit stage of perhaps P150,000. We are paying our engineer P225,000 for a 313 square metre house.

Colin

I agree with Colin wholeheartdly, and sorry also can\'t help you with your location, but the average for a good artichect is somewhere between 5% and I seen write here in the middle of my \"jungle in the rumble\" as I call it , Bayugan City, one Swiss gentlemen who demanded only Manilia artichets and he ended up paying like 16%.

Really hard to do anything by email or even direct phone contact, for they just want to know how much money you have, please assume me they will believe you rich wheither you or or not, I Hope you are, as I wish for everyone so it i best to visit get a feel for the land meet some people have coffee and drinks with some neighbors and start asking about local archiectects that you can look at some of their worki.

I am in the process of building a house now a 4 bedroom 2 bath, living room, kitchen, dinning room, family room, outside vestible off the the master bedrooms so we can just open the french doors and go outside on the second floor to eat and I will tell you it has been quite the learning process for me, I have built two homes before in the USA, but never a Hollow Brick , Concrete house, and I had more questions than probably most artichects would not put up with.

But this is a local guy, lives 6 houses down from me and although very wealthy does not have that show off \"Filipinio\" attitude that happens to many who manage to do good throuh hard work and effort. He has allowed me so far from borrowing any money from the bank at almost 11.9 % for 10 years for I just pay him buy the month.

You can usually tell a good artichect by how many project he has going, mine has currently 9, 2 hotels, 1 gas station  and 6 private homes.

We had lots of trouble at first for my need for 110 outlets in some of the rooms, for I have 19 BB boxes from the USA with many applicances in them, but after I talked to his master electrician, everything so far except for a few minor snags , like the usual red tape  has been the only issue.

Colin is right again for the biggest mistaqke i make was i ask for an orginal concrete on the building of the house, which came to 3.5 millionP, but he said he respected my family and would do it for 3, but what I forgot, the things that go inside, you know like Plasam TV\'s , A/C, hot water on demand system, jacuzzi for my wife, shower for me, pool talbe, Home made barbeque gas grill, Lazy Boy Furniture, Sub-Zero stainless steel 6 door refrigerator and freezer, eventually a 180 gallon Marine Live Rock , Live sand, reef tank which  will build myselfr,  the generator for the constant blackouts in my Part of \"the rumble in the jugle\" septic tank with leech field which is still up in the air for they have no system here in local government to do a \"perk test\", so I am not sure I even can do a leech field,

well this 3 million P house has turned quickly into a 5-6 million dollar house, well I forget to mention there is a nara horeshoe barwith SMB and Bud on tap straight from the keg....and to think after all that

I cannot own a vehicle for I live up a narrow lane, and my house is being being built behind the property of my lovely Nanay, who I purchashed both lots for so she would never lose her house, although i don\'t know who want want this terminte controld cheap cinder block construction, if I can get he to come live with me I will jjust bull doze the house and put a swimmin pool in the then front yard.

sorry for the great american novel but just ask the guys who run this group, the biggest thing about me is my mouth, but hey I am Irish what the heck can you expect...

Good luck in your future house plans, write me a pm if you need any picture of the construction of mine, Colin by far has the most amazing design of a house I have every seen and he will if you ask him share his ideas about planning, design with you for he is a very helpful person on here.

Colin and me are like day and night, he does thing right and in the proper order with a sense of British pride, me Beint Irish American I want it all now and due to that make many mistakes along the way.But I have learned a few things about electriciy here in the RP since coming here...for example thanks to a wonderful gentlemen named \"Rufus\" on this post....when my cell phone needs a charge I alawys just plug it in and if i need to make a call or text will just do it, well thank God for him he showed me a video of what can happen and never again will i use a cell phone while it is on charge....

Welcome to the group and Happy House Planning....

The \"Murf\"

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 05:57:35 PM »

Colin is right again for the biggest mistaqke i make was i ask for an orginal concrete on the building of the house, which came to 3.5 millionP, but he said he respected my family and would do it for 3, but what I forgot, the things that go inside, you know like Plasam TV\'s , A/C, hot water on demand system, jacuzzi for my wife, shower for me, pool talbe, Home made barbeque gas grill, Lazy Boy Furniture, Sub-Zero stainless steel 6 door refrigerator and freezer, eventually a 180 gallon Marine Live Rock , Live sand, reef tank which  will build myselfr,  the generator for the constant blackouts in my Part of \"the rumble in the jugle\" septic tank

well this 3 million P house has turned quickly into a 5-6 million dollar house,

I am trying to keep the initial build down to P5M even although I know that will mean leaving some parts unfinished. I am well aware that I will need most of the above items, not the marine tank  ;D, and need to hold money in reserve for them. Where can I buy that Sub-Zero stainless steel 6 door refrigerator and freezer?

well I forget to mention there is a nara horeshoe barwith SMB and Bud on tap straight from the keg....

I like that idea, I shall add one to the family room later but maybe import some home make beer kits  ;D ;D ;D

Colin and me are like day and night, he does thing right and in the proper order with a sense of British pride, me Beint Irish American I want it all now and due to that make many mistakes along the way.

The \"Murf\"

I like the design phase, but getting a bit impatient now to have it built.

If anyone wants to get their ideas across to an architect, can I suggest downloading Google Sketchup. It is free from http://sketchup.google.com/download/. I have been using Chief Architect, but this is a lot easier and more than adequate for a presentation. I hope to also use it later to design some furniture to be made locally.

Colin

Offline spock1

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 06:56:03 PM »
Guys thanks for the great advice and things that I need to look out for. Captainro your house plan looks fantastic....great design. My plans are very modest....we are just building a vacation home for 5 or 6 months of the year.

We have decided on maximum of 120sqm. including outdoor area with a budget of 2 million peso. There are only the two of us so a maximum of 2 bedrooms only needed. The lot is only 40metres from the water so outdoor living area is the main priority.

I will take the advice and try to organise the architect or engineer locally at Puerto Galera. Have some friends at Puerto who have already built so will pick their brains and listen to their advice. Thans again guys for your help.......much appreciated.

Regards
Peter and Angie

NQ Australia

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:56:51 PM »

Colin is right again for the biggest mistaqke i make was i ask for an orginal concrete on the building of the house, which came to 3.5 millionP, but he said he respected my family and would do it for 3, but what I forgot, the things that go inside, you know like Plasam TV\'s , A/C, hot water on demand system, jacuzzi for my wife, shower for me, pool talbe, Home made barbeque gas grill, Lazy Boy Furniture, Sub-Zero stainless steel 6 door refrigerator and freezer, eventually a 180 gallon Marine Live Rock , Live sand, reef tank which  will build myselfr,  the generator for the constant blackouts in my Part of \"the rumble in the jugle\" septic tank

well this 3 million P house has turned quickly into a 5-6 million dollar house,

I am trying to keep the initial build down to P5M even although I know that will mean leaving some parts unfinished. I am well aware that I will need most of the above items, not the marine tank  ;D, and need to hold money in reserve for them. Where can I buy that Sub-Zero stainless steel 6 door refrigerator and freezer?

well I forget to mention there is a nara horeshoe barwith SMB and Bud on tap straight from the keg....

I like that idea, I shall add one to the family room later but maybe import some home make beer kits  ;D ;D ;D

Colin and me are like day and night, he does thing right and in the proper order with a sense of British pride, me Beint Irish American I want it all now and due to that make many mistakes along the way.

The \"Murf\"

I like the design phase, but getting a bit impatient now to have it built.

If anyone wants to get their ideas across to an architect, can I suggest downloading Google Sketchup. It is free from http://sketchup.google.com/download/. I have been using Chief Architect, but this is a lot easier and more than adequate for a presentation. I hope to also use it later to design some furniture to be made locally.

Colin

I will check with my wife , she knows a distriburot out of Butan , you can only buy on credit not cash payments, but i have allread bougbht several things from them and found outg that when it comes to paying the whole thing off , they will like anyone except your money.... Sub-zero is some really good stuff, comes from Manilia , but has to be shipped by cargo ship to my place.

But i will ask the wife aboutg the dealer, in fact it is the same one she buys avon from  lol  :)

Offline philippineexplorer

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 06:14:31 PM »
I found a great architect. I have seen his work with very reputable clients and it is awesome. I will be using him for a 20+ million peso job. He charges around 3% of job but that may be less or more as you are in PG and that requires long trips from Manila. His style is ultra modern, lots of glass, flat roof, white.....something that would be perfect for PG and would actually be more appealing and sophisticated than the typical stuff you see being built here which is either New Asian or Spanish Mediterranean which seems to be getting played out. The most important thing is to have a great bulding supervisor who can oversee the contractor to make sure the architects work is being implemented properly. If interested contact me directly.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:05:32 PM »
His style is ultra modern, lots of glass, flat roof, white.....something that would be perfect for PG and would actually be more appealing and sophisticated than the typical stuff you see being built here which is either New Asian or Spanish Mediterranean which seems to be getting played out.

Isn\'t this just a question of personal taste? The fact that the vast majority of houses are of a more traditional design suggests that they are more popular. I don\'t know what a new Asian style is and, in my opinion, some Philippine houses are over ornate and ugly, however having just designed a Spanish Mediterranean style house, I think they look quite nice  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Colin