Author Topic: Living Costs Cebu City  (Read 2219 times)

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
Living Costs Cebu City
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:23:43 AM »
Here\'s my budget for living in Cebu City. It\'s a budget based on about 50,000 pesos a month.

Rent and Dues: 24K (1 bdrm condo, 2 CR, washroom, kitchen, furnished). This was actually a bit more than I wanted, but for a newbie, condo living was pretty convenient and safe. As I get a better feel for the city, will probably move out for something half that price.

Utilities: electricity, water, phone/dsl, cable tv: about 8K. Most of that is electricity (5K) probably for the air conditioning and dryer. I\'m learning to conserve though.

Household Items and Misc.: about 20K for shopping and entertainment. Actual groceries are running about 8K a month, but includes a lot of stuff I needed to start up a household. Could probably reduce that to about 6K a month easily.

Other income: an unspecified amount used to pay off old debts and for savings. It\'s a good idea to do this in my opinion and have a nice nest egg for any unexpected emergencies.

I find 50K budget quite comfortable for one person, could probably easily support two. With a little adjustments, I could probably live on 40K and still maintain a standard of living as good as back in the states.

On the other hand, if I really want to live it up, my cost could double, but the budget is intended to outline my basic living expenses.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
Re: Living Costs Cebu City
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Sounds like you\'ve got a handle on it Mike.  I appreciate the commentary explaining the reasons for why your expenses run what they do.

What are your transportation costs?  Do you use mostly taxi\'s? 

On another note, have you  been able to do any traveling around the province of Cebu yet?  Have you been to Bohol, Dumaguete or other cities?  If so, I\'d really like to hear your comments on the buses, boats and costs involved.

And I certainly agree with you that if you really want to live it up you could double your budget.  Or triple.  Or quadruple.    :D ;) ;D

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 08:24:46 AM »
Here\'s my budget for living in Cebu City. It\'s a budget based on about 50,000 pesos a month.

Rent and Dues: 24K (1 bdrm condo, 2 CR, washroom, kitchen, furnished). This was actually a bit more than I wanted, but for a newbie, condo living was pretty convenient and safe. As I get a better feel for the city, will probably move out for something half that price.

Utilities: electricity, water, phone/dsl, cable tv: about 8K. Most of that is electricity (5K) probably for the air conditioning and dryer. I\'m learning to conserve though.

Household Items and Misc.: about 20K for shopping and entertainment. Actual groceries are running about 8K a month, but includes a lot of stuff I needed to start up a household. Could probably reduce that to about 6K a month easily.

Other income: an unspecified amount used to pay off old debts and for savings. It\'s a good idea to do this in my opinion and have a nice nest egg for any unexpected emergencies.

I find 50K budget quite comfortable for one person, could probably easily support two. With a little adjustments, I could probably live on 40K and still maintain a standard of living as good as back in the states.

On the other hand, if I really want to live it up, my cost could double, but the budget is intended to outline my basic living expenses.

It is very easy to live cheaply in the Philippines as has been proved over and over again, but I do question whether this can equal everyone\'s idea of comparing to the standard of living in their home country. Everyone has different standards and what would suit one person would be either unacceptable or over the top for others. I could live here on a limited budget but I think I would find it boring. This also does not take into account the help to the family that is almost mandatory. This is not a criticism of the way people chose to live.

Colin

Colin

Offline GregB

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 01:31:29 PM »

It is very easy to live cheaply in the Philippines as has been proved over and over again, but I do question whether this can equal everyone\'s idea of comparing to the standard of living in their home country. Everyone has different standards and what would suit one person would be either unacceptable or over the top for others. I could live here on a limited budget but I think I would find it boring. This also does not take into account the help to the family that is almost mandatory. This is not a criticism of the way people chose to live.

Colin

True, but I think his point is just to outline a financial plan for settling in.

Also, many fiscally responsible individuals are simply trying to get an idea of \"worse case scenario\", not necessarily how they intend to live.

I spend about $800 a month in Haikou China living it up, but I could live very comfortably for $400 a month and I know I could still live fairly reasonably for less than $300 a month.

It isn\'t that I want to, but it is great to know you have a backup plan in terms of expenses when so far from home.

As far as those who just \"exist\" on a limited budget here in China, they are living a substandard life for not much more than it would cost to live on the streets in the US. So any way you slice it it\'s an upgrade...

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog